Disney to allow beards

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Disney to allow beards

Post by avengador1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:22 pm

It's about time. :D:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-dail ... 9602.story
After nearly 60 years, Mickey Mouse has decided to let his workers put their razors away.

The Walt Disney Co. announced Monday that it would let employees at its two U.S. theme-park resorts — including its more than 60,000 workers at Walt Disney World — grow beards or goatees.

Disneyland Park The new policy, which goes into effect Feb. 3, eliminates a facial-hair ban that has for decades been a source of grumbling among some of the company's male theme-park workers.

It was one of two notable changes Disney is making to "The Disney Look" — the clean-cut, all-American appearance that Walt Disney himself demanded of his theme-park employees from the day his original theme park, Disneyland, opened in 1955.

The other change: Casual Fridays, though only for employees who work in non-costumed jobs and who don't interact with theme-park visitors.

Disney periodically updates its strict appearance policies, typically after studying similar guidelines at other theme parks and Fortune 500 companies. The last major change occurred two years ago, when the company finally allowed female workers to forego wearing panty hose when wearing skirts — a rule that was particularly uncomfortable for women working outside on steamy summer days in Central Florida.

The company began inching back from its ban on facial hair in 2000, when it finally decided to allow moustaches.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Disney to allow beards

Post by Main Streeter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Casual Fridays are daily at DLR. I was never told I must wear panty hose with my skirt. :confused: I would NEVER have done it. Disney Look has changed so much in just the few yrs. I have been there. Most guidelines for women are not followed. NBD.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:45 am

I assume they will follow the same protocols as Universal.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Buggy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 am

Dammit! I used to have a great response for people who asked if I worked there when visiting the parks. I used to point at my chin and now I can't do that any more.

Well, I guess it's a nose ring and a tattoo for me.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 am

I think the only non-character that can have facial hair is Walt!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:40 am

I laugh at the quote from CNN:
"...you’re going to have the traditional Disney workers—who have their own supply of pixie dust—that doubt Walt would approve."

Walt was running a park in the 50's and 60's. Things are a lot different now. I really doubt a CM with a beard is going to kill the magic of someone's vacation. The rule was dumb to begin with. Walt himself had a mustache.

Side note: I thought this was done a few years ago. I remember reading something (I think on this site) about CM's had to grow a bear on their days off because the stubble of a in progress bear didn't look good.

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:02 pm

Mr. D... that was when they allowed mustaches.... though I imagine the same restriction will be in place for beards.

8^P

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Beards have to well kept and no longer that 1/4 inch I think it is and, yes, CMs will have to grow a beard if they want one on their own time, same as with mustaches.

All the other theme and amusement parks in Central Florida allow beards and I'm sure Cali parks are the same way so it's about time Disney allowed it. Not that I'm going to grow one, I personally don't like the feeling of facial hair and wouldn't look good with a beard anyway.

Mr. D, a few years ago they started allowing CMs to have mustaches but no beards.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:16 pm

And how long has Joe worked for Disney?

With a beard, mustache, and things in his ear.

I guess when you are as talented as he is, they over look some things. :)

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:45 pm

I think the whole of Pixar are exempt.

8^)