600 Volts Will Teach Him English Right Quick

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: 600 Volts Will Teach Him English Right Quick

Post by Zazu » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:02 pm

hobie16 wrote:The Masochism Tango? The Old Dope Peddler? Poisoning Pigeons in the Park? The Vatican Rag?
Actually, the specific song in mind was "Pollution":

When you go to American city,
You will find it very pretty,
But of two thing you really must beware,
Dont' drink the water and don't breath the air!

I couldn't find an emoticon for tongue in cheek.
Um, which kind did you want?

This kind :toncheek: or this kind? :buttkiss:

Zazu

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:03 pm

Zazu wrote:Um, which kind did you want?

This kind :toncheek: or this kind? :buttkiss:
I was looking for the first but I'm sure I can find a use for the second.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

TMiles
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by TMiles » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:19 am

Unfortunately, this is the problem with the companies mentality. At the transportation and ticket center, when the platform is wet because it was hosed down. The cast there push water in the trough on to a hot beam. The company says it is safe. But just because no one has gotten fried over it, does not mean that it is safe. expessially on the positive side of the track. I case you are wondering, there is 600 DC there with the potential of unlimited amps. For years I was one of them that used to push water in the trough while it was powered up. but then I wised up and pick the Contemporary resort as my station now. It's carpeted, they will never hose that down! . :D: Well just my input on this. The company all the time exposes us to what I would consider unsafe acts. Like I guy spraying for bugs right below you in the station. He has full gear on to protect him, but you are above him in the station, you can smell it, but you are perfectly safe!

Terry

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:03 am

TMiles wrote:Unfortunately, this is the problem with the companies mentality. At the transportation and ticket center, when the platform is wet because it was hosed down. The cast there push water in the trough on to a hot beam. The company says it is safe. But just because no one has gotten fried over it, does not mean that it is safe. expessially on the positive side of the track. I case you are wondering, there is 600 DC there with the potential of unlimited amps. For years I was one of them that used to push water in the trough while it was powered up. but then I wised up and pick the Contemporary resort as my station now. It's carpeted, they will never hose that down! . :D: Well just my input on this. The company all the time exposes us to what I would consider unsafe acts. Like I guy spraying for bugs right below you in the station. He has full gear on to protect him, but you are above him in the station, you can smell it, but you are perfectly safe!

Terry
Since I am not a CM, and I don't work with/for a monorails, I could be wrong here. But I will make an educated guess and say that there is some sort of circuit breaker on that 600V line. Sure, the breaker will be rated somewhat higher than the current required for that beam / monorail to operate, which is probably more than enough to kill you.

Bottom line: it is not "unlimited," but it is probably sufficient to kill you, and not trip that breaker.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:00 pm

Amps are never unlimited. Limits are set both by the generating equipment and the size of the cable. That's why you see high voltage circuits. It all boils down to the formula to determine Wattage. Watts = Volts x Amps. Raise the value of Voltage and lower the value of Amps. That means smaller AWG cable which reduces cost of distribution systems.

Our friends at OSHA have a good page on humans vs. power.
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/constru ... rrent.html

There's also the story of the killer 9V battery.
http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html

When in doubt turn it off. If you're not sure the power is off, get someone who has test equipment to confirm that the device has been powered off. It's your ass on the line.
:blowup:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:36 pm

Sorry hobie,I'm too tired to read the 2 inserts you posted.
I do remember an old addage though," It's not the volts that'll kill you,it's the amps".

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:20 pm

darph nader wrote:I do remember an old addage though," It's not the volts that'll kill you,it's the amps".
That's pretty much it and it doesn't take very many. The OSHA doc gives a good rundown on amp levels and the damage they'll do.

--- Matt King