Deal for housing project near Disneyland goes off track

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Deal for housing project near Disneyland goes off track

Post by hobie16 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:28 pm

Somebody got to the seller. Who could it be?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... ome-center

thomaskr
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Deal for housing project near Disneyland goes off track

Post by thomaskr » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:52 am

Well, the article does state that the potential buyer/builder didn't come thru with the downpayment even with 3 extensions. That's pretty seriously damning right there.

Still, you want your DL experience to be a unique one and I was pretty unimpressed with the fact that there were malls right next to DL. I'd rather drive through some greenery like in WDW. Speaking of which, who was the idiot who decided it was a good idea to build roads leading right up to the Magic Kingdom front entrance? Idiotic.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:27 pm

thomaskr wrote:Well, the article does state that the potential buyer/builder didn't come thru with the downpayment even with 3 extensions. That's pretty seriously damning right there.

Still, you want your DL experience to be a unique one and I was pretty unimpressed with the fact that there were malls right next to DL. I'd rather drive through some greenery like in WDW. Speaking of which, who was the idiot who decided it was a good idea to build roads leading right up to the Magic Kingdom front entrance? Idiotic.
Suggest you buy a good book on Disneyland. Walt just did get the dang thing financed and wasn't able to buy any extra land to put in a buffer. And for that matter, he probably didn't know that he needed one before the park was built.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Yeah, I mean, look how much the O.C. has grown in the last 50 years. There's this site, http://www.historicaerials.com, that has aerial photos of different parts of the country, for different decades, 1937 and up. Not all areas are covered, but if you were to check Anaheim, you'd see how much the area has grown. When I checked a couple places I've lived at here in O.C., they couldn't come up with photos from the 80s, but photos from the 60s and 70s showed this area as being orange groves. Only in the 90s did it show where I now live. Interesting site, nevertheless. I mean, it's not like Walt had a crystal ball or anything.

Theme Park Where
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Theme Park Where » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:37 am

And he did learn from the experience. The reason there is so much green surrounding the parks at WDW is because he didn't want to make the same mistake he made in Anaheim and run out of land.

"The main reason for guests to be in a theme park is to give the employees someone to laugh at after work!"

[font=Comic Sans MS]Gifts for the Theme Park Employee or Enthusiast in your life at Theme Park - Where?[/font]

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:18 pm

I checked Historic Aerials; the oldest photo they have of DLR is 1972, but you can put another picture side by side and compare them; in the '72 photo, there's way more parking. In the more recent photos, most of the parking has been taken by what appears to be CA.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:26 pm

felinefan wrote:I checked Historic Aerials; the oldest photo they have of DLR is 1972, but you can put another picture side by side and compare them; in the '72 photo, there's way more parking. In the more recent photos, most of the parking has been taken by what appears to be CA.
Yeah, DCA was built on what was originally a parking lot for DL. That was the only land available to build it since everything around there is so built up. There's no room to expand outward so they have to build on top of other things.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward