"I Didnt Run Half Way Across the Park For This!"

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: "I Didnt Run Half Way Across the Park For This!"

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:15 pm

A lot of the chair throwers and other types of virtual chair throwers get away with it because of enablers. Two examples.

A company I worked for had a branch manager in New Jersey who was a stone alcoholic. He held a staff meeting, something set him off and he destroyed all the conference room furniture and busted holes in the walls. Fired? No way! His branch brought in a lot of revenue so he got a promotion and moved to corporate where he eventually got fired after the company was hit with two sexual harassment lawsuits.

Another company, another branch manager. She sent out a racist joke via e-mail to all of her staff including two black SEs. Said SEs filed a complaint and the manager was sent home. Fired? No way! Even though the CEO said she should be terminated the area VP kept her because she also brought in a lot of revenue. The SEs were quietly bought off and the manager eventually moved to Marketing where she had no reports and hopefully a e-mail censor option.

Bonus example

I worked for a company that was absorbed by IBM (can you say BORG?). We got an influx of IBM staff including a new third level manager. We had lots of women instructors and support staff that were both married and single. The new third level hung back for a while but eventually started hitting on a few. All rejected his advances but started comparing notes. He finally hit on the wrong one, she went to HR with her story and the names of all the others. Fired? Finally, yes! Turned out he had played the same game at IBM but they decided to give him a second chance in a new environment. Us. Unlike the IBM HR weasels our people didn't play that game. He tried to transfer back to IBM but they decided they couldn't take a chance. AMF!

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:29 pm

hobie16 wrote:A lot of the chair throwers and other types of virtual chair throwers get away with it because of enablers. Two examples.

A company I worked for had a branch manager in New Jersey who was a stone alcoholic. He held a staff meeting, something set him off and he destroyed all the conference room furniture and busted holes in the walls. Fired? No way! His branch brought in a lot of revenue so he got a promotion and moved to corporate where he eventually got fired after the company was hit with two sexual harassment lawsuits.

Another company, another branch manager. She sent out a racist joke via e-mail to all of her staff including two black SEs. Said SEs filed a complaint and the manager was sent home. Fired? No way! Even though the CEO said she should be terminated the area VP kept her because she also brought in a lot of revenue. The SEs were quietly bought off and the manager eventually moved to Marketing where she had no reports and hopefully a e-mail censor option.

Bonus example

I worked for a company that was absorbed by IBM (can you say BORG?). We got an influx of IBM staff including a new third level manager. We had lots of women instructors and support staff that were both married and single. The new third level hung back for a while but eventually started hitting on a few. All rejected his advances but started comparing notes. He finally hit on the wrong one, she went to HR with her story and the names of all the others. Fired? Finally, yes! Turned out he had played the same game at IBM but they decided to give him a second chance in a new environment. Us. Unlike the IBM HR weasels our people didn't play that game. He tried to transfer back to IBM but they decided they couldn't take a chance. AMF!
Sounds like a some of the private sector HR's have the "give them some more rope" type of set up, and as you mentioned some, that if they bring in revenue, they are golden. Eventually though I would suspect that even the revenue generators will have a "slump" and when there is no more income...trim the fat time!!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:34 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Sounds like a some of the private sector HR's have the "give them some more rope" type of set up, and as you mentioned some, that if they bring in revenue, they are golden. Eventually though I would suspect that even the revenue generators will have a "slump" and when there is no more income...trim the fat time!!
That's typical of any sales organization. As long as you're hitting 100%+ no one will, or can, say anything to you. Once production drops you're put on a plan and if that doesn't work it's time to warm up the resume.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:46 pm

hobie16 wrote:That's typical of any sales organization. As long as you're hitting 100%+ no one will, or can, say anything to you. Once production drops you're put on a plan and if that doesn't work it's time to warm up the resume.
I helped interview a salesman once, and after we were done, he was telling us about his "day" that guy would put in fourteen to sixteen hours every day!!
He sold stocks and commodities, and was just rabid about getting his sales mark!!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:01 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:I helped interview a salesman once, and after we were done, he was telling us about his "day" that guy would put in fourteen to sixteen hours every day!!
He sold stocks and commodities, and was just rabid about getting his sales mark!!
Most sales positions are high risk high reward. Your hit your number you get good compensation. You hit stretch goals and the comp jumps dramatically. You sell your ass off and you get to go to sales club. That means all expenses paid trips all over the world to really cool places.

You bolo your number and it's buu bye.

Hitting those goals takes extra hours. Those not fired with enthusiasm will be.

--- Matt King

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:06 pm

hobie16 wrote:Most sales positions are high risk high reward. Your hit your number you get good compensation. You hit stretch goals and the comp jumps dramatically. You sell your ass off and you get to go to sales club. That means all expenses paid trips all over the world to really cool places.

You bolo your number and it's buu bye.

Hitting those goals takes extra hours. Those not fired with enthusiasm will be.
Glad I have a job, so that I don't have to work!! heheheehee