XM Radio

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
hulkcoaster
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by hulkcoaster » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:27 pm

you should buy a radio for your house that you can put the XM on, easier than sitting in the van

that is if you XM receiver detaches which i think the new ones do

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:14 pm

The trouble with XM (and what keeps me from getting it) is that I only listen to radio in the car on my way to/from work, which amounts to maybe 20-25 mins/day tops. That's too little for me to consider paying $12/month or whatever it is. Sure, I could listen to it at home, too, but when I'm home there's internet radio, which is free and every bit as good as XM (with even more possible stations, really).

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:41 am

I used to be a fan of the internet radio, but I hated being limited by the fact that i had to have my computer on and the fact that my computer doesn't go into the living room. I drive only 10 mins to and from work but i still think it's worth it to pay the $10/month to make sure i have something i want to listen to for that ten minutes. haven't you had those trips where all you could find was crap or commercials? Not anymore.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:40 pm

Do the cable companies still do the XM-type thing? Before I was married, my mom had Comcast and since my brother had already hooked up the cable box to the tuner so that the t.v. would come through on the speakers, he talked her into the radio thing...it was cool because it had over 30 different channels. I listened to the new age a lot, but I also really like classic rock and (don't kill me) show tunes. They would play complete sountracks of obscure shows like "Metropolis" (based on the Fritz Lang movie) where it was hard to find the disc at your average Sam Goody or whatever... As far as I was concerned, that was one of the best premium add-ons to cable there could ever be. Now we have Adelphia (they SUCK!!!), and my husband doesn't particularly want to spring for the digital (it's hard enough paying basic rate after reading about their officers being taken away in handcuffs for using company money to live in the lap of luxury - and the rates still haven't gone down or been paid back to the treasury) - haven't heard if they have that radio service. I'm still on a dial up modem at home and I don't know if I want to add one more thing to my backpack so I can listen to internet radio while I'm here at school (class got out early today :D )

hulkcoaster
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by hulkcoaster » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:32 pm

my digital cable (adelphia) has music choice, which is like 40 channels of music, no commercials and the screen tells you whats playing

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:19 pm

ohhh man!!! I hate Adelphia, but I'd love the radio added to cable...dang!!! :?

BTW, Dave, I was in the Videopolis commercial when the place was first launched :wink: The first time I ever saw Michael Eisner was over there when he was (micromanaging) checking the place out...and my first impression was "does the guy sleep in his suit?" He was that rumpled...

coldfire409
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by coldfire409 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:36 pm

Through directv i have 100 or so music stations, with no extra cost.

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:04 pm

Bringing this topic back from the dead.

I just signed up for XM411.com (the owner used to run XMfan.com before a falling out with his partner), and they are offering a free decal for your car or other location. It's very nice. If you like XM Radio Sign up and get it. Check out XM411.com also.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."