Grad Nite

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Grad Nite

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Chaka Peachfuzz wrote:Do tell - what's so bad about the Night of Joy???
A bunch of teens away from their parents at Disney and a lack of chaperones. You can guess what the problem is.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Shorty82 wrote:A bunch of teens away from their parents at Disney and a lack of chaperones. You can guess what the problem is.
after grad night I like to watch security look in all the bushes and places for passed out people. sort of reminds me of new years in las vegas, the next day the police walk from bush to bush looking for people. I remember one big bush that had like 5 people laying in it.

Corey

Chaka Peachfuzz
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Chaka Peachfuzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Shorty82 wrote:A bunch of teens away from their parents at Disney and a lack of chaperones. You can guess what the problem is.
ok, I didn't realize it attracted underchaperoned teen groups.

We had a less than pleasant experience with a church group at POFQ a couple years ago........they thought they owned the food court.

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:45 am

shorty82 wrote:good riddance! Now if they'd just get rid of night of joy, which are worst than grad nights by far.
+2

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:37 am

Chaka Peachfuzz wrote:ok, I didn't realize it attracted underchaperoned teen groups.

We had a less than pleasant experience with a church group at POFQ a couple years ago........they thought they owned the food court.
Yep. At least on Grad Nights there are lots of chaperons and Security has a very visible presence throughout the park. Most of the grads know better than to try anything as they know they'll get caught and won't be allowed to walk at graduation. When one does try anything Security is on them like white on rice hauling them to the chaperon center for the night if they're lucky, the Security offices if they aren't.

I've worked a few Grad Nights and I'll admit they weren't nearly as bad as the horror stories I heard from other CMs. The one Night of Joy I worked, OTOH, was, if anything, worse than the stories.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:02 pm

I worked this year's NOJ at Pecos bussing, and I really had no SGTs. Granted, a ton of middle schoolers are not exactly the cleanest eaters, but it wasn't bad.

Kurt

goofyjoe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by goofyjoe » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 pm

Shorty82 wrote: I've worked a few Grad Nights and I'll admit they weren't nearly as bad as the horror stories I heard from other CMs. The one Night of Joy I worked, OTOH, was, if anything, worse than the stories.
Didn't Cranbiz refer to it as "Night of Felons" a couple of years back? ;)

Some of my other CM friends refer to it as "Night of Hell". I know Universal up the street has Rock the Universe, so I wonder if the experience is much the same for them as it is at WDW.

I actually learned about the end of Grad Nights from my CM friends last week while I was visiting the World. They all seemed pretty happy about it, though only one of them works in the parks (and that in Entertainment). I know they'd tried doing it at Studios. Seeing as that park is better set up for stage shows with all the streets and such, one would think it'd be a better concert venue, but I guess people just didn't want to go there.

WDW is so busy so many times of the year, so do they really need to keep doing Grad Nights to bring in business in any case? I think Night of Felons... er, Joy probably works for them because it's in the "odd" post-Labor Day time.

Gawrsh, yah-huh!

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:18 pm

goofyjoe wrote:WDW is so busy so many times of the year, so do they really need to keep doing Grad Nights to bring in business in any case? I think Night of Felons... er, Joy probably works for them because it's in the "odd" post-Labor Day time.
Crowding is definitely a part of it. Having looked at the AOP, at existing crowd levels Grad Night is having a negative impact on the guest experience, the RPC gets as low as 6 on some of those days, when even NYE week it doesn't go that low. There's only so many people that can enjoyably experience MK when it is open 8-7.

Kurt

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:15 pm

How about a seniors night? it would be really slow and interesting.
they would prolly have to add on extra nurses and EMTS thou.
and stock up on extra heart starting meds too.

Hey Mickey is almost 90 now.

Corey

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:31 pm

drcorey wrote:How about a seniors night? it would be really slow and interesting.
they would prolly have to add on extra nurses and EMTS thou.
and stock up on extra heart starting meds too.

Hey Mickey is almost 90 now.
Hey! Let's not be hassling the seniors. If they could catch you they'd glue you to a seat on IASM with Fixodent.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.