Diseased Children...Ugh!!

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
CerasiJ
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Diseased Children...Ugh!!

Post by CerasiJ » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:58 pm

I actually didn't get chicken pox from Disneyland... I got Mono instead! :p:

"Really, if it’s done therapeutically—there’s nothing wrong with it. We euthanize dogs and cats all the time in this country. Why not stupid people, too? Makes sense to me." - My Mom, Former WDW CRO Agent

Teddykeiko86
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Teddykeiko86 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:59 am

When I worked at shrek 4d, some SG brought their child with fresh chicken pox on their face. We threw those 3D glasses away.

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:28 am

If the child has fresh chicken pox, that is not good. Please stay at home and cancel your vacation. That stuff spreads fast. My friend is a 1st grade teacher and whenshe see's that activity on the kid, that kid is at the nurses office and not in the class room. Also, those people like me, had a mild case of the chicken pox and now can get it several times. I had the shot when I was a little kid, but had it twice. I have allot of small scars from scratching. :(

TalkingHands
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TalkingHands » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:15 pm

mechurchlady wrote:Have you ever spent a month coughing, raw and sore face, cannot sleep, headaches and chest pains from the coughing? One cold takes me a month to get over. I will stand firmly on the fact that people with contagious diseases should not be in public areas if they can help it. I stand by the facts put down by the government and health groups. I stand by the fact that a simple illness can be life threatening for people with low immune systems.

I not saying one word as I am rather ill and broken hearted tired right now. I dont have the strength to dig up all the medical evidence, reports and sites to prove what I am saying.

The happiness of one person or family should not outweigh the health of other people.
I have to agree with you 100% on this Churchy. I work with a lot of students with special needs who would become seriously ill if exposed to a simple cold. We have to isolate a sick kid from the rest of the class and have the parent pick up the sick child to avoid making other children sick.

:pooh: [font=Lucida Console]Lisbet[/font]

queenie82
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by queenie82 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:41 pm

turkeyham wrote:If the child has fresh chicken pox, that is not good. Please stay at home and cancel your vacation. That stuff spreads fast. My friend is a 1st grade teacher and whenshe see's that activity on the kid, that kid is at the nurses office and not in the class room. Also, those people like me, had a mild case of the chicken pox and now can get it several times. I had the shot when I was a little kid, but had it twice. I have allot of small scars from scratching. :(
I don't think a child with chicken pox should be taken to a big theme park (while still contagious)...or ANY contagious thing... but I remember when I was little (which was the 80's) there were chicken pox parties where once a couple kids from the group got chicken pox mums would send their kids along to get it at the same time. We'd all get it and get over it and then move on. It is much safer for most kids to get it when they are young. The older you get the worse it will be when you finally get it.
And that immunity I got from having actually had the pox is the only immunity that has really stayed with me consistently. Injections of immunity seem to wane with me over time.

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:38 pm

The pox parties are still pretty common. They even did a Simpsons episode about them. Believe me, I can vouch for the fact that it's better to get them as a kid. I was almost 30 when I got 'em and it was hell on earth. Even had the stinkin' things in my throat.

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:21 pm

Syndrome wrote:Even had the stinkin' things in my throat.
Aren't they tasty? Bleeaahh!!

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

scpergj
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by scpergj » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:39 pm

Syndrome wrote:The pox parties are still pretty common. They even did a Simpsons episode about them. Believe me, I can vouch for the fact that it's better to get them as a kid. I was almost 30 when I got 'em and it was hell on earth. Even had the stinkin' things in my throat.
I'll second that one!

I was 25 when I got them...it was the worst week of my life - and I lived alone! My mom brought me groceries, but just brought them to my door, knocked, and told me they were here and call if I needed anything else!(in her defense, my father was a very sick man and they probably would have killed him 10 years before he actually died). I worked in a plant that made a food product (flour mill), and of course not only could I not work for fear of infecting my fellow employees, we sure didn't want anything to get into product that would be sent out to the public!

BTW, my name is Kevin, and I've been reading this board for probably over a year (this is my first post). My family (myself, wife, son (10), daughter (6)) are semi-frequent visitors to the WDW. We always go out of our way to smile at, talk with, and be nice to the cast members...and have never had a bad experience. You that work there are incredible (now if only I could say the same about the SG's...). Anyway, we live in suburban Jacksonville, and buy AP's every other year (this is our second year having them, and they expire this month...so we won't be back for a year...)

BTW, the one time we had a sick child at WDW we didn't know she was sick until she started throwing up...and we left immediately. I can't understand the parents that insist a sick child quit being sick and have fun...ugh!

Kevin

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:54 pm

My understanding is that the varicella vaccine is not always effective and immunity expires after a time.....
I attended to a child who I thought had chickenpox due to the characteristic rash, the MD thought, no way, it's probably not, kid's been vaccinated....
Guess What? Diagnoses:Chickenpox :rolleyes:

BTW, WELCOME KEVIN!
(who else is lurking out there?)

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:59 pm

What really scares me is they now say that polio vaccine, especially the oral type we had when I was a kid (Salk or Sabin?), the protection doesn't last a lifetime either. Ditto if you had measles or mumps as a kid. The problem with the chicken pox vaccine is they don't know if it will prevent shingles later in life. Take it from me, shingles, especially on the face like I had, is no picnic! Stupid eyelid still itches from that....