Abusive Parents

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
PirateJohn
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Abusive Parents

Post by PirateJohn » Tue May 03, 2005 1:16 am

Show Support wrote:I'm sure all of you at one point have seen those parents with their kids on a leash, yes? My opinion is, if you cant control your kid without a restraint of some kind, you have no business taking them to a place like Disneyland!! Am i right?
It would be easy for me to say that, but you know I have to admit, if I was bringing a kid around the park with tens of thousands of strangers around, a leash is a small price to pay to have a little peace of mind.

When I used to drive the Jolly Trolley, I literally almost ran over a child who had split from his dad who had let his attention lapse for a mere second. Lucky for the child I was leaned over the front rail to find my parking marker or I might not have seen him. Equally lucky was the fact that I found the brake on the first try, which wasn't guaranteed to happen considering the location of those brakes. I stopped less than two feet short of where the kid ran across the track.

I'm sure the dad wasn't a bad parent, just a human being who made a small mistake that could have ended with a horrible consequence if I hadn't been extremely lucky.

pnutshuman
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by pnutshuman » Tue May 03, 2005 1:05 pm

I have one, we dont use it as a leash per se, we use it as a safety belt. he is supposed to hold our hand but sometimes breaks loose, this way he cant get too far.
{:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue May 03, 2005 3:27 pm

Show Support wrote:I'm sure all of you at one point have seen those parents with their kids on a leash, yes? My opinion is, if you cant control your kid without a restraint of some kind, you have no business taking them to a place like Disneyland!! Am i right?
You're wrong. Small kids will disappear at the drop of a hat. If someone has has more than one kid the problem becomes ten fold. Somewhat like herding cats.

Bottom line, if you're not a parent you don't get to vote.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue May 03, 2005 5:25 pm

Let me guess, you're not a parent, are you?

I frankly appreciate it when I see a small kid on a leash. It shows his parents are aware of the potential for trouble and have taken reasonable steps to avoid it. It means I have less to worry about as I operate my attraction.

Of course, if the kid is 24.... :leashed:

Zazu

Thatguy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Thatguy » Tue May 03, 2005 5:28 pm

You know Zazu, you amaze me, you have a smilie or a graphic for every occasion! I just hope your HD is well organized, whenever I have the right pic it's too much work to find it.

"How many people woke up this morning saying 'I have to do the Jungle Cruise?' yeah, me too, I sat on the edge of my bed crying for half an hour."

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Thatguy wrote:You know Zazu, you amaze me, you have a smilie or a graphic for every occasion!
That's why they call me the "Smiliemeister"! :D:
I just hope your HD is well organized, whenever I have the right pic it's too much work to find it.
I'm a former librarian. I can organize *anything* so it can be found quickly! :library:

Zazu

Show Support
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Show Support » Tue May 03, 2005 7:06 pm

hmm...never saw it that way. Good point. But still..but a stoller atleast.

MEng85
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Location: INDY!!!!!! just moved to fullerton...bye bye Frisco

Post by MEng85 » Tue May 03, 2005 7:59 pm

how about attaching the kid to a harness and then to a fishing pole...when they get too outta hand ya can wheel em in :D:

YES!!!!! im incorrigible...anymore questions????

clpotter
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by clpotter » Tue May 03, 2005 10:12 pm

Having worked at "A Day in the Park with Barney for the first three years it was in UO, I have seen "parent abuse"! And they hit, bite and scream. AND I'M TALKING ABOUT THE PARENTS!!!!!!! All people should consider what they teach their 2 year olds.

aliceindisguse
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by aliceindisguse » Wed May 04, 2005 7:01 pm

I know when I was little and my parents would use a wrist strap to keep my siblings and me together...it was just a sense of security because they knew we were always on the other end, not a restraint....But I do agree that some parents use the new harnesses and they treat their children like dogs...your child should be able to behave leash or no leash..

How many in your group?
all of us.

Stay behind the yellow line