Why did you choose to work at WDW?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Anna
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Why did you choose to work at WDW?

Post by Anna » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:41 pm

After moving to Orlando my teen sons looked into working at WDW but after asking employees at Disneyworld, Seaworld, and Universal decided on Universal Studios. They chose Universal because the pay was better at Universal than WDW. Also the benefits were better and had less restricting rules. They can work as many hours or as little hours as they choose. One son (age 17 who graduated early from high school) works 50 plus hours a week (his choice) at Islands of Adventure and the other son (18 years old) works 30 hours a week (also his choice) at Universal Studios. One likes working at 9:00 AM so he works early. The other likes sleeping in and so he usually works afternoon or evening. Some people they work with only want to work one day a week and they are only scheduled then. My husband has a teaching job but decided to apply for part-time at Universal. He was hired as a ride op for one of the more popular rides and he just comes in when he feels like working. He's not even put on the schedule but just shows up. He worked a couple of days a week in the summer and then showed up for a few days on Thanksgiving and Christmas break.

Most of the people my sons work with were former ride ops at WDW and quit there for either lousy hours/lousy pay/ or oppressive managers. They love Universal and feel they are treated much better by management at Universal than they were at WDW.

This isn't meant to be a commercial or PR for Universal but a serious question. Did you choose Disney for the name recognition or for some other reason? I suggested that my one son who just turned 18 to apply at WDW as I would love to benefit from the free passes . He said "No way! I don't want to be paid to smile." He works as a ride op at the Revenge of the Mummy and loves the theming there and the fact that they don't have a script but can ad lib while interacting/scaring guests. He loves the comradary between his team members.

Anna

DisneyPrincess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DisneyPrincess » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:30 pm

As an AP for Universal and a CM for WDW, I can say that I go to Universal for the thrill rides and not by the way I'm going to be treated by the employees or the way the park looks. I go to WDW for the friendly people, the cleanliness of the parks, and the family atmosphere. Just by looking at the commericals you can see the type of visitors each park is trying to get to come to them. At lot of the former CMs that are now at Universal are overthere because they couldn't handle it at WDW. I work at Disney to help make vacations Magical and I would do it still if I was getting the low pay I started with. Overall it's just a better package than working for Universal, and my job is more secure, they can more people than any other company I've heard of in central Florida.

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:22 pm

Ive had a few people who work for both Disney World and Universal offer to get me jobs in return for a few things I've done for them (IE. Tickets to a WWE event). But I turned it down. I hate Universal. Hate it.

Dont get me wrong, rides, some of the best, love the rides.

Service, thats the reason. And it's not because I work for Disney that Im saying this. I've gone to Universal plenty of times before I started working for the Mouse House and every time, the service I recieved, sucked. Seriously.

For example, I went to IoA when it opened (Eh, about nine months after it opened). Ok, I understand that with every new attraction, there will be that window of working out the bugs. But I mean Posieden's Fury or whatever the hell that thing was wasnt work, Ripsaw Falls, one side of the dueling dragons and the old Triceritops area wasn't working.

My family went to talk to someone about getting a refund or something (Ended up getting an "go through the exit" type deal) for it but they (people at the desk) were kind of pissy because we had a complaint.

Hell. I wasn't even really impressed with the Hulk, but I guess it's because that came after Rock n Roller Coaster and the whole fact that Hulk basically uses the same launch system we do, they just have their's at an angle turned me off.

But I can't, and won't bash T3 or BTTF. Those are my top two favorite rides there. Havent gone in years (Last time I was at uni. period was when they were still laying the foundation for what would be Alien Attack).

Now I could bash JAWS and Earthquake but I dont have the time or the energy....oh but if I did....

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

Anna
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Anna » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:44 pm

Before we moved down here, we went to Universal 5 years ago and then 2 1/2 years ago. The employees were rude and the parks just weren't clean. We were really turned off by it. Then when we moved here, we immediatley got PAPs for Disney with no intention of going to Universal/IoA. Then Universal offered a 2 year for the price of one year AP so we bought it. I couldn't believe the change in the parks. They were as clean as Disney and the employees were friendly and helpful. We thought it was a fluke and still continued to visit only Disney for a few months.

Then gradually we started hitting Universal and saw that it had indeed changed and for the better while Disney was getting less clean with more disgruntled employees. Don't get me wrong we still love Disney and still have APs but Universal won us over after a bad start a few years ago.

I would suggest before you completely dis Universal that you try it out now at least to ride the Mummy. You might be pleasantly surprised. Heck, I'll even give you a comp ticket.

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:59 pm

I actually did go back at the beginning of last year (My grandfather made the mistake of getting an annual pass for the both of us). We used them once, that was the day to get them activated. We both felt the same way, service was bad.

And this is coming from a complete unbiased opinion. Seriously, this is not coming from me simply because I work at Disney.

As far as the reason for me working at the Mouse House. Simply put, the friends I made suggested it.

After I made 50+ friends out there (Most of them the opening crew of Fantasmic!) they suggested it since I was always out there anyways, might as get a position out there because of the information I knew about WDW and the tips I could give.

I laugh at the Mummy. Any attraction that someone you know works at, and they go on it, and they laugh and suggest not going on it....

Good concept but no. Maybe they'll learn from their mistakes when they build it at the Universal in Cali.

Anna
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Anna » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:16 pm

IndyandMarion wrote:I laugh at the Mummy. Any attraction that someone you know works at, and they go on it, and they laugh and suggest not going on it....
Let me guess: Chris

'Nuff said.

IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by IndyandMarion » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:21 pm

Anna. Dont know who the heck your talkin about. If your talking about the friend of mine that laughed at the ride, that isn't him. Dont even know a "Chris M."

Polar: Did the ride already open and it' it as bad (According to those who have said so) as the one here in orlando?

Anna
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Anna » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:37 pm

He worked at the Mummy and was terminated. He used to work at ToT and was terminated there also. I heard he was back at MGM.

The reviews for the Mummy in L.A. have not gotten good reviews. They opened in June. The Mummy in Orlando has received great reviews. Everytime I have ridden ( which is more than 100 times) the guests have cheered at the end of the ride. In fact, I haven't heard any bad guest reviews and, believe me, I listen to the comments. The first mummy animatronic is amazing.

Tara_Lee3
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Why Did I Work @ Disney?

Post by Tara_Lee3 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:56 pm

I went to work at the mouse house 'cause I didn't know any better.

Being the Impressionable Young College Student that I was, I somehow believed the suggestion that CP wages were enough to survive and party on. That idea was blown completely out of the water as my fellow CP's and I started rating the local grocery stores on how cheap the Ramen-Noodles were. And hey, who doesn't want to live in a tiny 3 bedroom apartament with 5 strangers?

Of course, as I'd never actually BEEN to WDW, When they said Disney World I thought "Magic Kindgom." (I know, I know.. shame on me... :roll: ) I was so disapointed when I ended up working a cash register at the food court of the All Star Music Resort.

Man, I must have made the recruiter's day! I hear they have a real hard time trying to fill the F&B positions.

Still, for all the down sides of CP'dom... WDW wasn't so bad. They truly have some of the world's best people working there. (Even in the depest, darkest, "Value Resort" netherworld.)

I am now happily back in the Mid-West, working as a receptionist in a medical clinic. (Family Practice, not VD for those of you with their minds in the gutter. :sick1: )

Every now and then I start feeling the call of Pixie Dust. I may even join up again some day. (Probably @ Disney Land though 'cause it's closer and less humid.) But if I do I'll be sure to get a real position, with a real paycheck.

They're not kidding when they say CP stands for "C"onstantly "P"oor :!:

"How much are the mugs? Well the 13 large signs at eye level all say the mugs are $12.99.. so I'm gonna go with that."

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:05 am

I guess I didn't so much go to work for WDW as I did agree to let them give me a (tiny) paycheck.

During most of my ten months of retirement, I spend perhaps half my days at the parks. My wife was back in Tennessee trying to sell our house, so it was just me, my computer, and a hotel room. Had to go do something!

Between my prior trips and the strange mass of Disney knowledge I've picked up over the decades, it seemed like I knew the question to every question I overheard, and just started answering them.

One day, I stopped at the MK tip board and asked if some attraction was out of rehab yet. The poor kid there didn't know the attraction was in the park! Turns out it was his first day solo at the tip board. I ended up spending nearly two hours backing him up until his bump came through. Collected a referral card from his bump once he explained what I'd been doing.

I think what finally tore it for me was when an on-duty CM on Main Street asked *me* where the nearest restroom was! I figured I might as well be underpaid to do the same thing.

I knew after ten months that I wasn't cut out for retirement. Golf was out, as my golf score is higher than my bowling score. Part-time work was all that I could think of since the local colleges didn't need a part-time professor of subatomic physics. (Hey! I haven't *always* been a railroader!)

Hired in as a MK park greeter, and figured I could work my way up to the trains over time. When my greeter trainer got into a fistfight with a guest and was "discontinued from the training program," somebody with half a brain looked at my resume and called me up. But only *half* a brain...

"I'm trying to fit you in somewhere else, and I noticed that one of the jobs on your resume is [railroad passenger conductor]. What's that mean?"

"Um... which of these three words is giving you trouble?" I asked.

He laughed, I explained that I had over 25 years of experince working on railroaders in various roles, and I've been on the WDW Railroad ever since.

In retrospect, it all seems so very inevitable. Stupid, naturally, but inevitable.

Lately, I've been thinking of pitching all and going back to retirement. My wife's demand: "Not until 31 January when the 40% holiday discounts end!" <sigh> So for at least another four weeks....

Zazu