Original Seven Seas Lagoon Ferry

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Original Seven Seas Lagoon Ferry

Post by NemoRanger » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:21 pm

I saw some old pictures of the magic kingdom and recently was looking at the opening celebration staring Julie Andrews. They show a huge side paddlewheel boat as the ferry to the Magic Kingdom.

I saw a picture with it docked parallel to the shore on that big dock that now take the boats to Fort Wilderness. I guess this explains why there is that strip of palm trees in the lake.

Anyone know what happened to this boat? Was it a real paddlewheel? I can't find any information that it even existed. Except for seeing Julie Andrews sing wish upon a star at the opening in 71.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Original Seven Seas Lagoon Ferry

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm sure Zazu, being the walking encyclopedia of all things Disney that he is, knows but since he's out of town right now it'll probably be a while before he sees this. Can you link to the picture so we can see what it looked like?

EDIT: Did some Googling. This page has some information on a paddle wheeler that sailed the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by NemoRanger » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Shorty82 wrote: Did some Googling. This page has some information on a paddle wheeler that sailed the Seven Seas Lagoon.
Well that solves my mystery and then some. Thank you so much. I tried googling for half and hour and had no luck. I guess I was not hitting the right key words.

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:50 pm

Shorty82 wrote: EDIT: Did some Googling. This page has some information on a paddle wheeler that sailed the Seven Seas Lagoon.
Thanks for that. Interesting. I love those pics from the seventies. :D:

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:35 pm

If you are ever in Westgate, they have pictures of it near the rear door entrance that leads out to the ferry dock.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Shorty82 wrote:I'm sure Zazu, being the walking encyclopedia of all things Disney that he is, knows but since he's out of town right now it'll probably be a while before he sees this. Can you link to the picture so we can see what it looked like?

EDIT: Did some Googling. This page has some information on a paddle wheeler that sailed the Seven Seas Lagoon.
Big Brian's page is excellent, and I commend it to your attention. One bit he got wrong though: the whistle from the sunken side-wheeler is now on the Roy O. Disney steam locomotive. Listen to it next chance and see if it doesn't deserve it's nickname as "The Tugboat"!

I'll be at Disneyland tomorrow (Monday). Gonna be strange getting to the park without using a boat or monorail.

Zazu

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:56 am

Zazu wrote:I'll be at Disneyland tomorrow (Monday). Gonna be strange getting to the park without using a boat or monorail.
You know, it would be nice to have a moat to filter out all the stupid guests that don't pay attention. :rolleyes:

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:18 pm

TiggerHappy wrote:You know, it would be nice to have a moat to filter out all the stupid guests that don't pay attention. :rolleyes:
Based on the efffectivness of the Lagoon at MK, I doubt that a moat wouold be of much help at all. It just provides more opportunies for the SG to earn their signs ! :w/stupids:

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:42 pm

delsdad wrote:Based on the efffectivness of the Lagoon at MK, I doubt that a moat wouold be of much help at all. It just provides more opportunies for the SG to earn their signs ! :w/stupids:
Well, of course not. A lagoon's too big to not see. :) Depending on how wide a moat is, you won't see it until it's too late. Sort of like how that one girl was so focused on her iPhone that she totally didn't see the open manhole she fell into. Size does matter. ;)