Time for an Intervention

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Time for an Intervention

Post by CujoSR » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:33 am

Ok a guy I work with at Wal-mart has a problem. It's not drugs or alcohol, but it is an addiction. It's "Final Fantasy Online." This guy is addicted to this game. He plays all day and all night and he spends mass amounts of money to buy "game money." That's right he uses real money to buy fake money. Now some might not think this to be so bad in small amounts, but here's the thing... he plans on spending 1800 Dollars on "Game" money so he can make his charater look like the Grim Reaper!!! Why!? It's a fucking skin! Pixels on a computer screen!!

This guy's fucking stupid!!! Can I get an AMEN?!

E-mail him and tell him if he wants to throw money away give it to CujoSR!!
[email protected]

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SpaceRanger » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:36 am

AMEN! Wow, I thought that I was bad with my games and hobbies, but WOW...

God must love stupid people. He made so many of them.

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:46 pm

Man, this makes my DDR obsession look like pretty much nothing.

As for spending 2 grand on that...wtf? I'd go out and buy stuff that I can actually use in my daily life...not some pixels and stuff.... :shock:

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

IndyBob
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Location: Former Attractions East & West: Indy, Mansion, Splash and my fav SPACE!!; and again Mansion &

Post by IndyBob » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:00 pm

I have a bunch of friends at my current job who all get together and play D&D,(dungeons and dragons) or as another friends puts it "Castles and Wizards and Make Believe", for all hours of the day and night. FREAKS :shock:

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:37 pm

hmmmmmmm...

ya sure ya don't mean INTERVENTION?

any yes, your coworker seriously needs help (I thought I was bad spending my pocket money on reading material I probably don't need, but it doesn't waste thousands of dollars...)

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:18 pm

opps yea... umm fixed

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

coldfire409
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by coldfire409 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:13 pm

I cannot belive that anybody would spend that much money for some pixels and stuff. I agree with you if it was just a few dollars here and there, but $1800 is a lot of money to waste. And the $99 I seen the game advertised for seemed like a lot of money for me for just the game.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!

pixiedust
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by pixiedust » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:27 pm

I think the only upside to this game is the ability to MAKE money off of these addicts who will spend hoards and hoards to buy a good character. I know someone who (to the dismay of his girlfriend) is spending hours and hours building up his character, so then he can sell it off later for MUCH more then he ever payed for the game itself.

coldfire409
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by coldfire409 » Tue May 04, 2004 12:38 pm

Well recently I went out and bought the game. And made back the money I paid for it by selling something in the game to one of those freaks. I must thank Cujo for giving me that idea. Personally I don't care much for the game, but I've gotten a good return on what I've been putting in to it. After all a CM must find a way to get money somehow. And pilefering the loose change in the Lost and Found will only get you so far.

Mod Note: Double post deleted by Weeble.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!

Cloud Buster
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Cloud Buster » Tue May 04, 2004 4:38 pm

Some rather serious TV news show, like 60 minutes or Dateline (I don't remember which one) did a piece on Everquest last year in which they chronicled the life of an average woman who worked as a marketing executive (or some other very normal job) and was addicted to Everquest. I didn't think the piece was too accurate because this lady was, for all intents and purposes, very normal. She wasn't like some of the freaks that go nuts over these MMORPGs. She was engaged to marry a nice man, too.

The reason I bring it up, however, is that she went to an Everquest convention and they followed her. At this convention, people all came together and met the people in real life that they'd been playing with online. Apparently, one of her characters in the game got married to another character, and she met her online character's "husband" with whom she'd spent many hours playing. The creepy thing was, the guy took the game a little too seriously, and was very bizarre. He seemed to take their online "marraige" a bit on the real side and kept following her around everywhere at this convention, to the point where she was hiding behind a large plant to try and avoid him.