Free pin promotion is the bain of my existance.

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Free pin promotion is the bain of my existance.

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:47 am

Right now every guest who pays to park gets a coupon for a free pin redeemable at one location in each park. The Magic Kingdom's location is Uptown Jewelers, one of my shops. The coupon is only good on the date issued and is only for specific pins we keep behind the counter and are not for sale. The guest doesn't get to choose the pin, it is what ever pin we have at the moment.

Working back in pins is hell right now. Guests come up with their coupon and we give them the pin. Very simple and straight forward one would think, but no. Guests get upset they don't get to choose the pin, they get upset if they don't like the pin, they get upset when we refuse to take an expired coupon, they get upset when we tell them they can't be given a second pin.

We tell the guests who don't like the pin they are welcome to trade with any CM wearing a pin lanyard. It says clearly on the coupon that it is only good on the date printed on front, which is always that day's date. They give the excuse that they didn't know about the coupon until the next day. If they would actually look at what they are given they would know about it. The coupon says "FREE PIN!" on front in big letters.

We are also getting some guests who hear about the promotion later and say they left the coupon in their car and ask if they can get the pin. We have to apologize and tell them "no". These pins are all inventoried, we have to have either the pin or a coupon, that's why we can't give a second pin to a guest (I'm sorry it'll upset one of your kids but there's nothing I can do) and why we can't just give one away.

Working in the front of the shop is also annoying right now. Have to direct a LOT of guests that come in to the back counter to redeem the coupon. I've learned to spot the coupons a mile a way and can almost direct the guests in my sleep.

Being in another shop only helps a little. I've had people come up to me at the cart nearest the Castle and ask "is this where I redeem this?" I want to say "IDIOT! Read the back and it says "Uptown Jewelers! Does this cart look like a jewelery store to you?" Instead I politely point them down the street to Uptown. I don't even have pins for sale there!

I was talking to a friend who works in the Emporium and they're also having issues with this promotion. Guests come in there thinking that is where they go to get the pin and then get mad when they are told to go across the street.

The biggest issue with this is that guests aren't reading what they are given. If they would look at their parking stub they could see that a coupon is attached. If they would read the coupon beyond the words "Free Pin!" they would know where to go to get the pin. They would also know the coupon has to be used on the date issued and is not valid after that.

Seems to me this promotion started as a way to get rid of a lot of pins cluttering up the warehouse or something. I can't wait until it's over.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Free pin promotion is the bain of my existance.

Post by Mayonnaise » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Man that bites. Beggars can't be choosers man. When I was on my Misguided tour with Zazu, I got a pink princess pin from Scoop and well... I don't do pink and I'm not a fan of the princesses, but I took it and thanked him, knowing I could trade it later for something that struck my fancy more.

How selfish do you have to be to turn your nose up at a FREE thing at Disney just because it's not EXACTLY what you wanted?

PapaMouse
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PapaMouse » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Right now every guest who pays to park gets a coupon for a free pin redeemable at one location in each park...

Hey I am not even there...Can I get a free pin? :D:

Sorry to hear the problems. I understand what you mean though. When I worked at a video rental store they did a "Free gallery video with rental of a new release) (A gallery video is anything that is not a "new release"). I can't begin to tell you the problems this caused. people wanting to rent one gallery and get the other free,wanting rent one get one with new release, just a free gallery not other purchase. It's like you said. READ THE COUPON. I always loved the "I left my coupon at home. can I still get....?" NO!

Help control A.D.D., Spank a kids ass.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Mayonnaise wrote:Man that bites. Beggars can't be choosers man.
I want to tell some of these guests "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".
How selfish do you have to be to turn your nose up at a FREE thing at Disney just because it's not EXACTLY what you wanted?
That's my thing. Disney is giving them something free, that doesn't happen every day. Stop complaining, take the stupid pin, and GO! Nothing on the coupon says "Satisfaction guaranteed". Don't like the pin? Trade it with one of the 1,000s of CMs with a lanyard, that's probably part of the idea behind the promotion, get more people into pin trading.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:32 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Nothing on the coupon says "Satisfaction guaranteed".
That's a good thing. Remember the Pants Guy in DC who sued? He based his suit on the sign that read in part, "Satisfaction guaranteed."

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:02 pm

hobie16 wrote:That's a good thing. Remember the Pants Guy in DC who sued? He based his suit on the sign that read in part, "Satisfaction guaranteed."
True, but that moron lost..including his job!!

I just don't understand the mindset of someone getting something for free, and then complaining about it. If they didn't like the dang thing, they should have just given it to the first kid they saw, let them have something to trade with a CM!

Jeez people, get a life!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:07 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:True, but that moron lost..including his job!!

I just don't understand the mindset of someone getting something for free, and then complaining about it. If they didn't like the dang thing, they should have just given it to the first kid they saw, let them have something to trade with a CM!

Jeez people, get a life!
He not only lost the case and his job, he lost the appeal too. Look for some Supreme Court action soon.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:58 pm

hobie16 wrote:He not only lost the case and his job, he lost the appeal too. Look for some Supreme Court action soon.
Yeah, he was back in the news today...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD95HO4LO1

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:00 pm

hobie16 wrote:He not only lost the case and his job, he lost the appeal too....
I suspect he lost his appeal a long time before this case was filed, if you know what I mean.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:36 pm

ktulu wrote:Yeah, he was back in the news today...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD95HO4LO1
Yeah, thats a REAL good idea, call three judges on the appeals court lazy for not seeing it his way!!

You almost wish the nine would set, and let him dance around a contempt charge!

To quote Bugs "What a maroon"

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?