Character Smilies Reorganized

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Re: Character Smilies Reorganized

Post by ktulu » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:19 pm

BRWombat wrote: :eek: <holds hat out> Can you spare a few MBps for a friend who still has dial-up at home??? :(
Okay, let me re-phrase that. Unlimited transfers, but the bandwidth is limited to 20M/20M at home :D:

Perhaps it is time to break down and get DSL, heck you might be able to get FIOS If you are in Verizon territory!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:04 pm

ktulu wrote:Okay, let me re-phrase that. Unlimited transfers, but the bandwidth is limited to 20M/20M at home :D:

Perhaps it is time to break down and get DSL, heck you might be able to get FIOS If you are in Verizon territory!
I am in FIOS territory, but the dang company wants me to pay them for it!!! (I'm cheap when I have hi-speed access elsewhere.)

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:23 pm

BRWombat wrote:I am in FIOS territory, but the dang company wants me to pay them for it!!! (I'm cheap when I have hi-speed access elsewhere.)
You need FIOS. How much are you paying for dialup?

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:29 pm

ktulu wrote:You need FIOS. How much are you paying for dialup?
$9/mo. FiOS is ~$45/mo.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:41 pm

BRWombat wrote:$9/mo. FiOS is ~$45/mo.
That's a pretty good price for the performance they advertise. Can you get DSL in your area?

The biggest problem with DSL is the quality of the copper wire already in place. Some is so bad the line impairments really eat up performance.

Although dial-up is way cheap it's also got pretty crappy performance. Most dial-up companies say they provide either 56 or 64 kbps. What they don't say is if you're lucky and you live close to a central office.

DSL may cost you three times as much as dial-up but the performance will be dramatically different.

If you do look at DSL see what they advertise for speed. Either ask the sales rep or call tech support to see what you're provisioned for. If they advertise 3 mbps but provision for 756 kbps demand the speed be increased. If they shuck and jive you, pull the lawyer card about false advertising.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:57 pm

BRWombat wrote:$9/mo. FiOS is ~$45/mo.
Time saved, priceless ;) I think 1M is $9.99 for months 2-6, then goes up to $19.99.

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/Hi ... /Plans.htm
hobie16 wrote:That's a pretty good price for the performance they advertise. Can you get DSL in your area?
Right now they are pushing everyone towards the fiber. I think you can still get DSL, but they would prefer to get you off the copper. I only pay $139 plus taxes a month for mine...
DSL may cost you three times as much as dial-up but the performance will be dramatically different.

If you do look at DSL see what they advertise for speed. Either ask the sales rep or call tech support to see what you're provisioned for. If they advertise 3 mbps but provision for 756 kbps demand the speed be increased. If they shuck and jive you, pull the lawyer card about false advertising.
Verizon is pretty good about getting the provisioning correct. You also have to realize that it is 3M between you and the CO, they don't guarantee speeds onto the general Internet, but Verizon has a great network, not as good as another NSP I am very familiar with, but they don't sell services like DSL ;) They got mine initial provisioning correct, and when I upgraded they got that right. I only ran into one snag when I downgraded from 5 static IP's to a single static IP, but that was because I was one of the first people to get FIOS in my area and stuff changed on their side that broke their processes when I downgraded to that single IP.

Side note, I got a /24 of IPv4 and a /48 of IPv6 space so my home network is fully dual stack with an IP tunnel to work to take advantage of this. Note this is all native, no 6to4 tunnels for me!

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:17 am

ktulu wrote:Side note, I got a /24 of IPv4 and a /48 of IPv6 space so my home network is fully dual stack with an IP tunnel to work to take advantage of this. Note this is all native, no 6to4 tunnels for me!
Ooooooo.
Can I have some of those? ;)

Kurt

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:25 am

ktulu wrote:Right now they are pushing everyone towards the fiber. I think you can still get DSL, but they would prefer to get you off the copper.
The good part about going to fiber is the huge increase in data performance and better quality voice transmission. The down side is the end user has to supply power to the interface equipment. This also allows the telco to reduce their power expenses as they no longer have to provide -48 VDC for the analog voice line. Digital switching system + digital transmission system = greatly reduced costs to the telco.

The real down side for the end user is, during a power failure, the phone and data system are dead. Pretty much like what happens if all your communications needs are provided by a cable company.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:34 am

ktulu wrote:Time saved, priceless ;) I think 1M is $9.99 for months 2-6, then goes up to $19.99.

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/Hi ... /Plans.htm
I've been down that path -- that's for areas where they still provide DSL, not FiOS. I can get DSL through TimeWarner, or FiOS through Verizon, both around $45/mo. I'd love to upgrade, but unfortunately, with the medical bills we're dealing with after two major (and unplanned) surgeries this past year, that'll have to wait for now -- we do the email and other basics at home, and if we need to download anything substantial I use my non-home access. My parents have FiOS, and they live close by.

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:58 am

kurtisnelson wrote:Ooooooo.
Can I have some of those? ;)
I think you can get a tunnel setup to us for a fee ;)
hobie16 wrote: The real down side for the end user is, during a power failure, the phone and data system are dead. Pretty much like what happens if all your communications needs are provided by a cable company.
Well, they do provide a battery back up with it, and if you were to put that on a UPS you could have service :) Throw in a generator with a contract for fuel delivery...Oh wait, I'm thinking about work again :D:
BRWombat wrote:I've been down that path -- that's for areas where they still provide DSL, not FiOS. I can get DSL through TimeWarner, or FiOS through Verizon, both around $45/mo. I'd love to upgrade, but unfortunately, with the medical bills we're dealing with after two major (and unplanned) surgeries this past year, that'll have to wait for now -- we do the email and other basics at home, and if we need to download anything substantial I use my non-home access. My parents have FiOS, and they live close by.
That's odd you can get DSL via TimeWarner, because Verizon would be the one delivering the service. My mom had Earthlink DSL, but SBC took care of the actual service. She had lots of issues, I told her to just switch. She did and all of a sudden SBC was out there fixing all sorts of issues. Amazing how that happens ;)

So, do you visit your parents alot? Hi Mom, Dad, 'cuse me while I download this stuff. Actually, just call me when it is done, oh and don't touch it, I don't want anything to go wrong...