Anyone else see "The Haunted Mansion?" (spoilers

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Anyone else see "The Haunted Mansion?" (spoilers

Post by BirdMom » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:05 pm

We finally saw the movie Thursday night. I have to say that there was very little from the ride that was left out - the Raven was all over the place. About the only ghosts I didn't see were the two Egyptians who sit on the chandelier in the ballroom, and for all I know I missed them somewhere in that gaggle of ghosts. I think that it must be very difficult for the writers to come up with something based on a ride, knowing that they have to incorporate a major amount of elements from the ride yet come up with a plot that isn't lame or predictable.

Having said that, I didn't enjoy the movie as much as my husband did. Considering that they had to write it for a family audience, it was slightly lame, and frankly, I've never found Eddie Murphy charming, but that's just me. Terrance Stamp was really good, Wallace Shawn was his usual self (which is like saying Gilbert Gottfriend was his usual self) the kids and the wife were good. I found Master Gracie rather puzzling (albeit handsome, charming and lovesick). The mansion is in Louisiana bayou country, his grandfather built the mansion, yet he spoke with a British accent. Shouldn't he have been a Southern gentleman? I did rather enjoy the way they played with poor Madame Leota, and the park's own Dapper Dans were the voices of the singing busts in the graveyard, schtick included. During the crypt scene, all I could think of were the Michael Jackson "Thriller" and "Ghost" videos. I would like to see it again from a design standpoint - I like what they did with the costumes and sets. From a "see it for the plot" standpoint, I'd have to pass... :?

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:05 pm

The Streching room was missing!!! I did like how they played the race aspect of Master Gracie's relationship. Otherwise it was a watchable 2-hour commercial.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:05 pm

yeah, I noticed no e.r. (expanding room) as well. I see you caught the plug at the end of the credits. It was nice that they acknowledged Paul Frees, Thurl Ravenscroft and Marc Davis at the end...liked the bi-racial aspect as well...big taboo back in the day.

An old friend from show services just dropped by and he's hearing rumors that the original Mme. Leota is going to be replaced in the ride by Meg Tilly...ugh...hope that's a great big lie.

techie-13
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by techie-13 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:03 pm

Bird Mom, I agree with you on the Meg Tilly/Madam Leota thing. A friend of mine was telling me this too. I think he read about it on mice age or someplace like that and they were saying that it's in Meg Tilly's contract. :shock:

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:14 pm

Just heard a rumor from another former CM that Tony Baxter wants to install some of the HM sets that are currently on display next to El Capitan inside the ride...I dunno about that one. The ride could seriously use a retrofit, but I'd rather it was something that WED/WDI designed specifiacally for the ride - not something to tie in with movie merchandising...

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:45 pm

BirdMom wrote:An old friend from show services just dropped by and he's hearing rumors that the original Mme. Leota is going to be replaced in the ride by Meg Tilly...ugh...hope that's a great big lie.
I hope not.

Minor correction it's Jennifer Tilly.

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:31 pm

That'd kinda suck if they raped the HM and put in new crap from the movie. I'm all for rehabbing/retrofitting the Mansion (might awaken some spirits!), but not with movie set stuff...

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:29 pm

CujoSR wrote:Minor correction it's Jennifer Tilly.
A Tilly is a Tilly...it's like the Lander's sisters in the 70's and the Hilton sisters now...which is which??? Who knows...who cares... :wink:

wheelieman
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by wheelieman » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:10 am

I actually liked the movie, but in NO WAY would I want them to change the ride to reflect the movie! The real Madame Leota should stay.

I brought my two daughters, ages 6 and 8, to see the movie, and they loved it too. It was a little too scary in a couple of parts, but they handled it really well. I liked the fact that Eddie only used ONE swear word when he said "big a**". The rest of the movie was clean. Unless of course, you are a Jehova's Wittness, then you are going to hell for watching it...[LOL, JUST KIDDING].

Dave, about to be in California.
I will be there from 12/21 thru 1/9 or so. I will be at KBF a LOT, so if any of you see me there, come up and introduce yourself. Don't be shy. You have seen my picture, just look for me on my Golden Companion II Scooter [ECV].

Im in California, Im in California! If you see me at Knott's, come up and say "Hi"!

^ Okay, the novelty has worn off.

Amateur Radio Call Sign KI6BVW