Roy Disney is gone

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:40 pm

Eh thats what I heard, I'm not sure either...

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:54 pm

Freak wrote:Eh thats what I heard, I'm not sure either...
It's registered to Shamrock Holdings, Inc. Good enough for me.

Zazu

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:41 am

For the terminally bored:
Registrant:
Shamrock Holdings Inc (BTMYMFKMWD)
4444 Lakeside Drive
Burbank, CA 91505
US

Domain Name: SAVEDISNEY.COM

Administrative Contact:
IT (25381446I) [email protected]
IT Services
Shamrock Holdings Inc.
4444 Lakeside Drive
Burbank, CA 91505
US
999 999 9999 fax: 999 999 9999
Technical Contact:
Network Solutions, Inc. (HOST-ORG) [email protected]
13200 Woodland Park Drive
Herndon, VA 20171-3025
US
1-888-642-9675 fax: 571-434-4620

Record expires on 01-Dec-2004.
Record created on 01-Dec-2003.
Database last updated on 10-Dec-2003 03:41:07 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

DISH.LANTRXINC.COM 66.134.215.34
DISH2.LANTRXINC.COM 66.121.161.66

wheelieman
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by wheelieman » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:49 am

WOW! I have to wonder, since they list a LOT of Disney related sites, including, surprisingly enough, Al Lutz' site, does that mean that Roy actually visits these sites? I would love to know how he has reacted to many of the stories posted on mouseplanet and miceage. [if that was illegal, moderators, please feel free to remove thier names].

Dave

Im in California, Im in California! If you see me at Knott's, come up and say "Hi"!

^ Okay, the novelty has worn off.

Amateur Radio Call Sign KI6BVW

tabacco
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by tabacco » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:43 pm

wheelieman wrote:WOW! I have to wonder, since they list a LOT of Disney related sites, including, surprisingly enough, Al Lutz' site, does that mean that Roy actually visits these sites? I would love to know how he has reacted to many of the stories posted on mouseplanet and miceage. [if that was illegal, moderators, please feel free to remove thier names].

Dave
I wouldn't be too surprised at all. I'm sure Roy browses the internet from time to time too, and since his interests definitely seem to include Disney I doubt he could miss those sites ;)

BirdMom
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by BirdMom » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:43 pm

You know, I have to admit that I'm one of those people who was guilty back in the day of thinking of Roy as the "idiot nephew," but considering that it's his family name and that his uncle and father started the dang company it doesn't seem right that no one from the family is left on the board to protect their interests...

When I think about it, they never should have allowed the corporation to buy RETLAW back from the family - they would have had a lot more leverage over Eisner and his henchmen. I'm of the opinion that for Eisner, it's all about power and prestige. Up until the merger of G.E. with Universal/Vivendi, Disney/Capital Cities was the largest entertainment conglomerate in the country, possibly in the world. The most recent merger takes some of Eisner's prestige down a notch. Giving him his due, he did have a knack for picking hits at ABC and Paramount, but he never has been and never will be a true "creative." Every one of the ideas he has insisted on "adding" to company product has been a turkey. (Anybody think the Pomp and Circumstance segment of Fantasia 2000 was fabulous? How about using that music for a parade? Two words...Light Magic. Need I add more?) At least Roy Disney has turned out to be the guy who defended the very foundation of the company. Anyone who's got a spy at the studio or WDI can tell you that the easiest way to make Eisner go ballistic is to say "Walt wouldn't have done it like that..." I think that deep down it drives him nuts that Walt was a true visionary creative genius, who also happenned to be beloved by a large segment of the American public. Eisner is not the kind of guy who will be beloved by anyone but his immediate family and the sort of stockholder who only cares about the bottom line - not the welfare of employees and the real creative wells of the company. I almost choked on my drink the other day when I was reading a story about the company in the business section of the L.A. Times and the writer described his former jerk partner as the "beloved late Frank Wells." No one liked that guy...he used to try to ambush dim cast members at the Hotel Monorail station. He would walk up to the turnstyle and say "let me in, I'm Frank Wells." If the c.m. would let him in without question, he'd want the poor schmuck fired and if the c.m. insisted on i.d. he would give the person a hard time (don't you recognize me? etc...) then later say "good job" after making the poor twerp sweat for a few minutes. You couldn't win with him. In the mid-80's we could get a pretty decent meal in the In-Between for about $2.00. The first time Wells walked in, he looked at the prices on the menus and said "this isn't a soup kitchen..." and lo and behold...the prices got raised (on our slave wages after the strike). I really hate the mindset that management has taken on, not just in Disney, but in the majority of American companies. It's all about paring expenses in a brutal way in order to maximise profits, and it comes at the expense of the people who make it happen on a day to day basis. Eventually, Michael Eisner will be out - he's either going to die on the job, or his snake ways will eventually bounce back on him (karma will win in the end) and he'll be forced out. I could only dream that the person who eventually helms the company understands that you need good people at the bottom, you need to treat them well and pay them fairly (including benefits) in order for the guests and consumers of Disney product to have an allover good experience. The greed has to end at some point.

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:08 pm

tabacco wrote:
wheelieman wrote:WOW! I have to wonder, since they list a LOT of Disney related sites, including, surprisingly enough, Al Lutz' site, does that mean that Roy actually visits these sites? I would love to know how he has reacted to many of the stories posted on mouseplanet and miceage. [if that was illegal, moderators, please feel free to remove thier names].

Dave
I wouldn't be too surprised at all. I'm sure Roy browses the internet from time to time too, and since his interests definitely seem to include Disney I doubt he could miss those sites ]I wonder if he visit's here?

"A little swordplay, now and then, keeps my mind off sheep!"

"You're messing with my Zen thing, man."

"Dreams are as portals,
flat visions of misty places,
fragments bound below my surface,
but I can write dreams,
they flow from me,
inscribed but now unbound,
I touch them,
and they are real,
and they are real."

Thatguy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Thatguy » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:01 am

Hi Roy!!!

I hope you have a grand plan and won't leave us languishing under eisner. While we have some people coming in such as Rasulo and Ouimet coming in that may do some good we need someone who knows what it's all about on the board.

"How many people woke up this morning saying 'I have to do the Jungle Cruise?' yeah, me too, I sat on the edge of my bed crying for half an hour."