CMs who never think about SHOW

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: CMs who never think about SHOW

Post by hobie16 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:55 am

ktulu wrote: Microsoft sucks, but I'll let others go down that path :)
You mean the Borg led by Monkey Boy and the Beastmaster?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

CMGUY89
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by CMGUY89 » Sat May 10, 2008 11:45 am

What really sucks is that the Hub doesn't fully work with Apple computers. I am unable to do transfer requests or view my record card on my computer. Kinda ridiculous when you think of Disney's relationship with apple.

~CM;)GUY89
Private Dining Cashier
Yacht & Beach

RIP Trainer Status...

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Sat May 10, 2008 12:26 pm

hobie16 wrote:You mean the Borg led by Monkey Boy and the Beastmaster?
Yes, and please watch for flying feces.
CMGUY89 wrote:What really sucks is that the Hub doesn't fully work with Apple computers. I am unable to do transfer requests or view my record card on my computer. Kinda ridiculous when you think of Disney's relationship with apple.
Did you try Safari and Firefox? The problem is everyone develops for IE, but the trend is changing, just slower at some companies. Heck, most of my business unit use macs, but we're just getting to the point where IT is finally making things work with firefox.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:53 pm

EeyoresButterfly wrote:There were several reasons given for the new furniture:

1.)It's more durable
2.) It is easier to clean and sanitize
3.) It is less likely to hold lice, a problem in Entertainment.

Many people believed that it was to stop people from sleeping during off-set time, but of course, no managers ever admitted to that being the reason.
Of course they wouldn't. :(
EeyoresButterfly wrote: I've got a great TV Mouseketeeria story. During the World Cup in 06, the parades crew was on lunch at the same time Brazil was playing (I believe their opponent was Mexico). At that time we had an unusually large number of Brazilian CMs at MK. After a really hot day doing parade, we all had headaches and just wanted to eat our lunches in relative peace. This proved to be impossible with all of the screaming coming from the people watching the World Cup. As we were leaving to go check in for the next parade, one of the taller guys reached up and turned off the tv in the middle of a play! We told him that he was taking his life in his hands, but we all had wanted to do the same thing. It was disturbingly satisfying.
HA!! That's great! I actually do remember the groups watching the tournament in there. Very loud group.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat May 10, 2008 10:04 pm

ktulu wrote:The problem is everyone develops for IE, but the trend is changing, just slower at some companies. Heck, most of my business unit use macs, but we're just getting to the point where IT is finally making things work with firefox.
They aren't "making things work with Firefox", they're just removing the non-standard kludges that IE permits.

If all web sites stuck to the widely accepted international standards, there wouldn't *be* any browser-specific problems.

Don't get me started....

Zazu

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Sat May 10, 2008 10:16 pm

Zazu wrote:They aren't "making things work with Firefox", they're just removing the non-standard kludges that IE permits.

If all web sites stuck to the widely accepted international standards, there wouldn't *be* any browser-specific problems.

Don't get me started....
Well, there are things that all browsers fail on, and there are some things that had to be tweaked for Firefox, Safari, etc. When I make websites, I always check them in IE, FF and Safari, and always on both mac and pc. Sadly, some so called web developers just know IE crap.

The things we deal with...

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sun May 11, 2008 6:10 am

ktulu wrote:Did you try Safari and Firefox? The problem is everyone develops for IE, but the trend is changing, just slower at some companies. Heck, most of my business unit use macs, but we're just getting to the point where IT is finally making things work with firefox.
Those things don't work in Firefox either. Firefox is my main browser.

If Disney has such a relationship with Apple why is everything Windows based? The registers run on a version of Windows, the Photopass computers run on Windows, Photopass's PDAs run on Windows, the computers we use to program the sewing machines run on Windows, and so on. I don't know of any computer that doesn't run on Windows.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Sun May 11, 2008 9:37 am

Shorty82 wrote:Those things don't work in Firefox either. Firefox is my main browser.

If Disney has such a relationship with Apple why is everything Windows based? The registers run on a version of Windows, the Photopass computers run on Windows, Photopass's PDAs run on Windows, the computers we use to program the sewing machines run on Windows, and so on. I don't know of any computer that doesn't run on Windows.
The Apple link is fairly new. Windows is also very popular in the IT world and Disney can probably purchase software and modify it to suit their needs. I'm almost willing to bet that the backend stuff is running some flavor of *nix, but then again Disney has made huge mistakes in the past, so I could be wrong :)

Wasn't there some microsoft sponsored sudo-attraction at some point?

Rob562
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Rob562 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:46 am

Shorty82 wrote:Those things don't work in Firefox either. Firefox is my main browser.

You have to remember that Disney also has a very large corporate agreement with HP, sponsor of Mission: Space.
And HP builds Microsoft-based PCs... (I'll bet that the majority of the computers you listed are HP)

-Rob

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Mon May 12, 2008 2:04 am

Many of the Learning Centers run Dell Computers.

Petite and Proud!