Giving other Cast Members a hard time

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Giving other Cast Members a hard time

Post by svickersart » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:36 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Automatic 18% for a buffet? What the heck, the wait staff at buffets don't do all that much.

This automatic 18% you guys keep talking about, is it automatic when you use a CM discount or what? I haven't eaten anywhere at Disney but quick service in a long time but I don't recall ever hearing about an automatic 18% for everybody. That'd be exceptionally stupid since the Dining Plan doesn't include a tip anymore.

I'm guessing at the character buffets the costumed CM's get a cut of that 18%. Anyone know for sure how they do it? are the tips split? While the wait staff doesnt bring your food they do refill the drinks at some and keep you in clean plates, but at the character dining its the costumed people that are working thier asses off. and not that the other CM's dont, I've been to some crowded character breakfasts and they can be a madhouse.

Steve
Steve

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:44 pm

svickersart wrote:I'm guessing at the character buffets the costumed CM's get a cut of that 18%. Anyone know for sure how they do it? are the tips split? While the wait staff doesnt bring your food they do refill the drinks at some and keep you in clean plates, but at the character dining its the costumed people that are working thier asses off. and not that the other CM's dont, I've been to some crowded character breakfasts and they can be a madhouse.

Steve
Steve
Ahahahahahaha.... if only.

Characters don't get ANYTHING at the buffets. At most places (Crystal Palace, I'm looking at YOU), they don't even get FOOD.

GuestJockey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by GuestJockey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:12 am

Amphigorey wrote:Ahahahahahaha.... if only.

Characters don't get ANYTHING at the buffets. At most places (Crystal Palace, I'm looking at YOU), they don't even get FOOD.
NO WAYYY!!! Leading me to a question I've had for a while now; what would be the best way to go about tipping someone in entertainment? I'm assuming "ask Pluto to shake his head 'no' three times" is probably not going to work.

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:22 am

Amphigorey wrote:Ahahahahahaha.... if only.

so how does Pooh stay so fat?

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:29 am

GuestJockey wrote:NO WAYYY!!! Leading me to a question I've had for a while now; what would be the best way to go about tipping someone in entertainment? I'm assuming "ask Pluto to shake his head 'no' three times" is probably not going to work.
I wouldn't think that you could tip them. I think the only thing that you could do is to go to City Hall and give them a "good show" praise from the time and location of where they were performing.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:25 pm

mechurchlady wrote:so how does Pooh stay so fat?
Free Honey Packets from Plaza Inn! :D:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:47 pm

They're right, we see no pay raise from restaraunts, in fact ,for some working in the restaurant is a pay cut since there are premiums for certain parade/show roles. Unfortunately there is no way to tip a character, we absolutely CANNOT accept tips. We can however accept gifts. The Japanese tourists bring us pins and plushies all the time, Micky frequently gets pacifiers from kids who are done with them, we get drawings, and one time Minnie even got a stuffed Pooh from a little girl. We just have to use our best judgment (and make sure it is okay with the parents if it is a kid) so that we don't offend them.

Petite and Proud!

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:12 pm

GuestJockey wrote:NO WAYYY!!! Leading me to a question I've had for a while now; what would be the best way to go about tipping someone in entertainment? I'm assuming "ask Pluto to shake his head 'no' three times" is probably not going to work.
Definitely the best way is to figure out exactly what time you met the character you liked, and go to City Hall (or the equivalent) and write a note of praise. Characters very rarely get feedback on their performances, and they LOVE it when it happens.

Here's a small example: Once, I was helping the White Rabbit, and it was time for him to take a break. My greeter came backstage to ask me to sign one last autograph book, which of course was no problem. Not a big deal, something small, right? Anyway, later on, the guest whose book it was came back to tell the greeter that it had totally made her daughter's day that the Rabbit had written her a personalized birthday note, and it made her feel special. My point here isn't so much the birthday note, which was a simple thing for the Rabbit to do, but the fact that the guest came back to say thank you. Most people wouldn't have bothered, and it totally made my day that she did.

Oh yeah, one last thing: noting the time of day is important, as the characters are on a very tight schedule!

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:24 pm

mechurchlady wrote:so how does Pooh stay so fat?
Lots of honey.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

GuestJockey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by GuestJockey » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:37 am

I work in City Hall, so I've definitely done that before, but there have been times - like tonight, actually - when I've gotten a tip at the end of a tour and known that pert of the reason they were so impressed and tipped me was because if the interaction they got with someone from entertainment, and I feel like there should be a way for me to share some of my tip with them, or at LEAST be able to tip them myself when I come in as a guest and they do the same for me.