Giving other Cast Members a hard time

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Giving other Cast Members a hard time

Post by Princess Susi » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:12 pm

Do the servers really treat you poorly if you are a CM? That makes no sense. You are one of them. Why would they not want to treat you well, just like anyone else? Makes no sense to me.... :confused:
susi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:05 pm

Princess Susi wrote:Do the servers really treat you poorly if you are a CM? That makes no sense. You are one of them. Why would they not want to treat you well, just like anyone else? Makes no sense to me.... :confused:
susi
Yeah, I don't understand it. But there are some out there.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

dancinghomer
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dancinghomer » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:17 pm

Princess Susi wrote:Do the servers really treat you poorly if you are a CM? That makes no sense. You are one of them. Why would they not want to treat you well, just like anyone else? Makes no sense to me.... :confused:
susi
One guess I would have with this is that since there is a cast discount, the final bill will be lower. And unfortunately, a lot of people will tip the bill total after discounts, so the servers are prolly expecting to get less of a tip for the same meal from a CM rather than a guest.

Light travels faster than sound. Perhaps that is why people appear bright until they open their mouth.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:10 pm

In Hawaii we have the kama'aina discount for people who can produce an Hawaii ID. It can range from ten to fifty percent. If it's a big discount I'll leave it as the tip. That usually gets some big smiles from the waiters and even better service when we return.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:53 pm

They do add an 18% gratuity to our bill before we pay, so I wonder if the reasoning is that since they know they are getting a tip no matter what, why bother? There are times I have been tempted to ask the manager to take that tip off the bill as I thought 18% was too much, normally I'll leave extra if it's even halfway decent service.

The ones who treat you like that really are few and far between, but the other thing I have noticed is that they are less likely to have fun with you. We love the 50's Primetime Cafe, and my roommates and I would never tell them we were CMs because they were less likely to make us eat our veggies or any of the other fun stuff they do, probably because they figured if we were CMs we would just want to be left alone. They would still give us excellent service, but they seemed more inhibited.

Petite and Proud!

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:04 am

EeyoresButterfly wrote:They do add an 18% gratuity to our bill before we pay, so I wonder if the reasoning is that since they know they are getting a tip no matter what, why bother? There are times I have been tempted to ask the manager to take that tip off the bill as I thought 18% was too much, normally I'll leave extra if it's even halfway decent service.
ITA! I went to Cape May last year with my youngest daughter when she was down for a visit and had the worst meal ever on Disney property. The server was terrible and the managers there were just as bad.

I know that she did not care because she got the automatic 18% tip. The manager that I complained to about her lack of service just said, there's nothing I can do.

I'm sorry, 18% in a buffet is way too much unless you get exceptional service. I have had exceptional service from several servers at Boma and always left extra for those servers that provided such service and I have left 10% to the server at Crystal Palace who thought that I only needed one glass of iced tea the entire meal and left most of the used dishes on the table.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:47 am

Cranbiz wrote: I'm sorry, 18% in a buffet is way too much unless you get exceptional service. I have had exceptional service from several servers at Boma and always left extra for those servers that provided such service and I have left 10% to the server at Crystal Palace who thought that I only needed one glass of iced tea the entire meal and left most of the used dishes on the table.
18% at a BUFFET?!?!

I always over tip at buffet's, so my wife started paying. I just get into the habit of seeing the tip line and do my usual. I haven't been to a buffet in a long time now that I think about it. Now I want to hit the local sushi buffet place, good sushi, but it's also an expensive buffet :)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:41 am

The tip USED to be included in the Disney Dining Plan and it was 18% automatically. They now have removed the tip and I hope that does not screw some of the wait staff because some folks may think that the tip IS still included and it is not anymore. Another way the higher ups justify their jobs, to screw around with existing programs and confuse everyone and screw the CM in the end.

I believe the Disney Dining Experience, (different from the Plan) still has the 18% tip included. Why did they do that? Change one of the plans and not the other. Trying to confuse everyone? Gonna REALLY mess up the CM's tips! :mad:

We always tip very well if the service ids great and Ralph has no problem tipping lower if the service is under par. On the DDPlan before, the tip was automatically 18%, now we can decide what to tip. We have been known to tip 40% for a really great Disney server who makes our day! Those are the ones like Roz who was one of the nicest and most fun servers we ever had on our last trip to DL! She is awesome! She exudes the Disney magic and spirit!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:45 pm

Automatic 18% for a buffet? What the heck, the wait staff at buffets don't do all that much.

This automatic 18% you guys keep talking about, is it automatic when you use a CM discount or what? I haven't eaten anywhere at Disney but quick service in a long time but I don't recall ever hearing about an automatic 18% for everybody. That'd be exceptionally stupid since the Dining Plan doesn't include a tip anymore.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Automatic Tips

Post by Cheshire Figment » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:23 pm

For quite a few years any table service meal (including buffets) had an automatic tip added if the Cast Discount was used. Also, most of the table service locations had it for a party of eight or more.

Since the beginning of this year, it has automatically been added to any discounted meal at a table service location using the DDE Card. It has also been reduced from automatic for a party of eight to where it is automatic for a party of six or more.

It does not apply to any Counter or Quick Service location.

Also, prior to this year the gratuity was included with the DDP. Now, if the party is five or fewer, it is up to the Guest to determine how much tip to give the server. If the party is six or more then the tip is automatic but it must be paid by the Guest, either in cash or by some sort of charge. The most usual would be room charge since the server has the KTTW anyway.

Note that if a party has separate checks, as long as the the party size is six or more the tip will be added automatically to each of the separate checks on a proportional basis.