Giving other Cast Members a hard time

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
HarryFromMarydelDE
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Giving other Cast Members a hard time

Post by HarryFromMarydelDE » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:20 am

So I'm in the breakroom yesterday when a friend of mine come in and tells me a story that really up set me.

Apparently, a guest had just brought an item that was marked with the old price (happens sometimes) to a new CM. The new CM didn't know how to dump SKU (ring it up as the marked price) and had to get help. While she was getting help the guest started talking about Disney trying to rip them off, bait-and-switch, breaking the law and generally making a commotion and upsetting the new CM. Anyway, she finally got it rung up correctly and the guest asks "Do you give Cast Member discounts?"

What the ...?

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. -Jack Handy

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Re: Giving other Cast Members a hard time

Post by DisneyMom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:28 am

HaHa! I would have tried to get their name.....BAD SHOW! I think you should not say anything like that about your employer ANYWHERE on the premesis, even if you are off.(Assuming) Probably got in free due to being a CM, too! :eek:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:15 pm

Was there any possibility this person was joking? I know that some people like to "harrass" new employees (havn't heard of Disney employees doing that, yet!) was he laughing or serious?

Either way, that is not a good thing!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:13 pm

and if you complain or insult them then you get into trouble

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:07 am

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:I know that some people like to "harrass" new employees (havn't heard of Disney employees doing that, yet!)
A favorite CM of mine is notorious for giving new hires The Shudder of Fear treatment. For some odd reason God spared me this horror. Ya, it does happen @ Disney whenever Doug is @ Emporium. Funny! Very funny! :D: :cool:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

disneyprincess1988
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by disneyprincess1988 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:40 am

Ug, had this happen to me when I worked turnstiles in 2006. A CM freaked because I refused to let her and her husband in with an expired maingate. And this was after she claimed she was told she could use it until her new one came in. Now, keep in mind this was in the summer time when she tried to use it. :eek: Thankfully, there was another CM in line who offered her two comp tickets to get in, but she was still pissed and threatened to quit the company over this. Yeah, that's really mature right there.

For Narnia! And for Aslan!

:jasmine: :minnie: :bouncemic :skellingt :gonzo: :pepe:

All of my favorite Disney characters up above there. :p:

EeyoresButterfly
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by EeyoresButterfly » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:37 am

I've had it from kind of the opposite side. My first CP my family and I were eating at the Concourse Steakhouse. I wait until the end to tell the server I am a CM if I don't know them because there are those who will treat us like crap, but my dad wanted me to tell him beforehand so I did. It was the absolute worst service I have ever had, at Disney or outside of it. My roommate was their with our other roommate's mom and they had the same server and just as crappy service. We watched him with other guests and he paid a lot more attention to them. I realize that there are CPs/CMs who tip poorly, but there are also guests who tip poorly. I tend to be a big tipper (even when I shouldn't be) because I used to be a server and know how demanding the job is and often how little the companies pay them (the tips are the main part of your salary). Nine times out of ten people will go out of their way to make a fellow CMs time special, but there is always that one who thinks that just because you are a CM, you don't have to be treated like any other guest.

Petite and Proud!

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:20 pm

Jeez, it almost sounds like you should be "undercover" when going to the parks in you off time.

I would think that CM's would give other CM's a much better time, all around, as they could very easily be the receipant of good service/show when THEY are there with family and friends!

Plus if you were giving bad service or show a CM, more than a guest, would know where and how to make an effective comment (complaint?) to a manager or lead.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:43 pm

HarryFromMarydelDE wrote:So I'm in the breakroom yesterday when a friend of mine come in and tells me a story that really up set me.

Apparently, a guest had just brought an item that was marked with the old price (happens sometimes) to a new CM. The new CM didn't know how to dump SKU (ring it up as the marked price) and had to get help. While she was getting help the guest started talking about Disney trying to rip them off, bait-and-switch, breaking the law and generally making a commotion and upsetting the new CM. Anyway, she finally got it rung up correctly and the guest asks "Do you give Cast Member discounts?"

What the ...?
Wow! That is horrible. I remember going into a shop at MGM last summer, and there were 2 new CMs with their trainer. When I showed my ID the trainer said "this will be good practice with them". It took awhile, but I didn't care. I know how nervewracking it can be (as I did merchandise too). I could never give a new CM a hard time (or any CM, for that matter).

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

bpgstudios
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bpgstudios » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:09 pm

I've had a few off duty CMs pull crap like that. Also been on the receiving end as well.

At philhar or pooh distribution if I see a CM using their ID, I will most of the time just give them an override (Not at pan though!). If they come up to me demanding re-ads or overrides because they are a CM, I say no. They are a guest when off the clock. I don't go to other areas and expect better treatment just because I'm a CM. Of course there are a couple locations I frequent where if a CM recognizes me, they will most of the time offer to backdoor me, but Id never expect it outside my area.

I've had a few servers that I regret informing I was a CM. But there are a few servers that did give me amazing service because I was a CM...

"Where is 21?"
-Before 22?