Stupid CDS Tricks...

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Stupid CDS Tricks...

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:32 pm

Thanks, CMguy, for the info! I can picture it now. Soarin' must bring a lot of people into the pavilion. We have soarin' here at DCA of course, and it's DH's favorite attraction. But DS and I really loved KK. Are you too young to remember it? I still have my DS's plush Calypso Broccoli guy.

Back then the "Boat Ride" was called "Listen to the Land". We liked it too.

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:37 pm

If anyone else is nostalgic for KK, Check out this link.

http://aatvideo.com/lostepcot/kitchenkabaret.html

Extinctattractions.com also has a DVD on the Land Pavilion.

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:42 pm

One nice thing about Typhoon and Blizzard Gates. We don't bother with CDS except to clock in and clock out.

The coordinator gives us little slips of paper that let us know what time to start our breaks, usually shortly after we arrive in the morning. We are never assigned (when being Greeters) to a specific position and just make sure the turnstiles are all staffed sufficiently. Usually around noon we will shut down turnstiles 5 and 6 and make them into exit only.

We have access to an ATS terminal so if we need to reissue tickets we normally have any of several people do the reissues. This is one of the coordinator jobs at the major parks.

If it is a day we are assigned to ticket sales again, to an extent, we control our own destinies.

I much prefer working at the water parks as opposed to the major parks.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:45 pm

CMGUY89 wrote:It's hard to create magic when everyone's reaction to your attraction is "That sounds boring, where's Soarin'?" :(
Don't worry, I'll do the exact opposite once I move down there. At least occasionally I will. I'll go "Where's the Land and more specifically, where's CMGuy?

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:56 pm

CMGUY89 wrote: It's hard to create magic when everyone's reaction to your attraction is "That sounds boring, where's Soarin'?" :(
That begs the question, what attraction gets the least amount of traffic at DLR and WDW?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

CMGUY89
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by CMGUY89 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:25 pm

LOL, I am a little too young for KK, and for the most part FR. I am only 18 and I hadn't been in the Land pavilion too much before I started working there. I am a big fan of Soarin' (in case you couldn't tell) but sometimes it is a love/hate relationship.
Traffic in The Land is definitely up and the boats run 20 minute waits for the most part of the busy days. But then most people avoid us and go straight to Soarin', neglecting the original purpose of the pavilion. It seems like LWTL is where they stash the older folks and some of us get mixed in with the lot as well. We have our fun, but in unusual ways (thanks mostly to SGs!)

~CM;)GUY89
Private Dining Cashier
Yacht & Beach

RIP Trainer Status...

Randy B
In our Memory
In our Memory

Post by Randy B » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:36 pm

hobie16 wrote:That begs the question, what attraction gets the least amount of traffic at DLR and WDW?
As a guest at WDW (always in the off season) my impressions are the following are normally very low attendance.

MK:
In the past I would have said Timekeeper which was too good to be an overlooked attraction.

But now that it has been replaced I can't think of any glaring low attendance attraction in the park. Of course I haven't been there when the Laugh Floor or whatever it is called was running and so I can't speak to it's attractiveness. Besides as new as it is it may be still in its newness crowds. I'd expect the crowds to stabilize a bit in a year or so. It could stabilize at high attendance or could stabilize at "CMs standing around playing cards" status. :D:

Epcot:
The Circle of life movie in the land seems to always be nearly empty when I go.

Studios:
I don't think of any glaring always empty attractions.

AK:
There are so few attactions that even drinking fountains have wait times. (Ok, that's an exageration but we're talking impressions here.)

I must point out that I am only talking about my personal impressions and memories and so I may be totally forgetting something since it is so low on the attraction scale I don't even think about it. Also I am only talking about attractions that have an entrance and a constant schedule all day, Not intermittant street shows or things that happen on irregular schedules.

Randy

CMGUY89
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by CMGUY89 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:19 am

Randy B wrote: Epcot:
The Circle of life movie in the land seems to always be nearly empty when I go.
Very true, I've delivered a few spiels to no one, LOL! But on New Year's I did have to close the line a few times, we were about 90% full, which knowing CoL is VERY scary.
I think it's about time they got a new show in there. But they just replaced the screen so the theater is probably safe for a while. I just wish they would re-upholster the pre-show, the designs are rather suggestive... :toncheek:

~CM;)GUY89
Private Dining Cashier
Yacht & Beach

RIP Trainer Status...

Randy B
In our Memory
In our Memory

Post by Randy B » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:25 am

CMGUY89 wrote:Very true, I've delivered a few spiels to no one, LOL!
If you have a spiel to no one and are absolutely sure of the fact, have you ever been tempted to slip slightly "off script"? Not that you would actually do it, but have you been tempted.

Randy

CMGUY89
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by CMGUY89 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:32 am

I go off script all the time...But never too bad...
"Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, My name is CMGuy and on behalf of Nestle and Walt Disney World I'd like to welcome you too The Circle of Life, an environmental fable. In just a few moments the automatic doors in front of you will be opening toward you so please stand behind the stripe on the carpet. Once the doors have opened please take small children by the hand, spouses included, and watch your step on the stairwell into our theater." I like to see how many catch it...
Inside the Theater
"At this time folks please reach under your seats and put on those 3D glasses (wait a moment) Are there any down there? (No...) Oh, we must have forgotten to put them out this morning...
For the safety and comfort of those around you please refrain from eating, drinking, smoking, flash photography, and videotaping with external video lighting, and parents please...no snoring."
Often times I don't even get a laugh but sometimes I get some people who go crazy over it. ;)

The day I got to work at Soarin' I had a ball with the spiel.
"Good afternoon ladies and gentleman and Welcome to Soarin' Airlines flight #5505 with roundtrip service over the golden state of California. Before we board I have a few important safety reminders...if you are wearing loose fitting shoes such as flip flops or backless sandals please remove them so that you don't lose them, if you are wearing crocs, just leave them on, if you are lucky they will fall off. Also if you have any carry on items that are too large or fragile to fit into the underseat compartment such as elephants or fine china please leave them on the ground in front of you. A flight attendant will be happy to check them, examine their value, and divide them among the others. This is a non-smoking flight and lucky for you there will not be a meal served so please refrain from eating and drinking as well. Thank-you and have a great flight!!!"

~CM;)GUY89
Private Dining Cashier
Yacht & Beach

RIP Trainer Status...