Sea World (Orlando) Has A Problem

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Sea World (Orlando) Has A Problem

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:07 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Most of the water in the Orlando area is like that. I only drink filtered and bottled water down there. My brother and his wife who live in the area never drink from the tap and instead they buy bottled water at the store.
I wonder if thats why the coffee always seems to taste bad there?

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:50 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:I wonder if thats why the coffee always seems to taste bad there?
Probably. That, or it's the fact coffee tastes nasty anyway and the sulfur taste to the water doesn't help any.

I've heard the newer resorts and, I believe, DAK have filters and purifiers on their water supplies so the tap water from them isn't as bad as from the older resorts and parks. Also, for the most part the water out of soda fountains isn't bad as it is filtered.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:20 am

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:I wonder if thats why the coffee always seems to taste bad there?
No, it's not the water that makes Disney coffee suck. It's the Nescafe concentrate!

The best purchase that I made upon moving to CF was the new fridge with the built in water/ice dispenser in the door AND the extra large water filter built in!

It makes our crappy water taste pretty good.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:15 pm

Cranbiz wrote:No, it's not the water that makes Disney coffee suck. It's the Nescafe concentrate!

The best purchase that I made upon moving to CF was the new fridge with the built in water/ice dispenser in the door AND the extra large water filter built in!

It makes our crappy water taste pretty good.
Hmmm Maybe I should sneak some ground beans with me next trip! And my camping water purifier!!

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:31 pm

I think everyone else's water tastes bad. I guess I have only ever been drinking FL water and am used to it.

Kurt

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:46 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:I think everyone else's water tastes bad. I guess I have only ever been drinking FL water and am used to it.
Hey, now! Don't insult all of Florida's water! The water up here in the Panhandle is good. There's something about the aquifer that Central Florida uses that causes the sulfur taste that the aquifer up here doesn't have.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…

-Walt Disney
Keep moving forward

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Whazzup » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:04 pm

Shorty82 wrote:Hey, now! Don't insult all of Florida's water! The water up here in the Panhandle is good. There's something about the aquifer that Central Florida uses that causes the sulfur taste that the aquifer up here doesn't have.
I'll back you up on that, Shorty. We drink water right out of the tap here and it doesn't have that nasty sulfur smell or taste.
We had the same problem when we lived in Daytona Beach, though, and when we watered the yard it smelled of sulfur and it left stains on the concrete block foundation of the house.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:11 pm

Whazzup wrote:I'll back you up on that, Shorty. We drink water right out of the tap here and it doesn't have that nasty sulfur smell or taste.
We had the same problem when we lived in Daytona Beach, though, and when we watered the yard it smelled of sulfur and it left stains on the concrete block foundation of the house.
I wouldn't be surprised if Daytona Beach gets its water from the same aquifer that the Orlando area does. The fact it made the yard smell and stain concrete makes me doubly sure I will avoid ever drinking any unfiltered tap water in Central Florida.

The water from the aquifer here is very pure. Very little, if any, treatment has to be done to the water to make it drinkable.

-Walt Disney
Keep moving forward

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:30 pm

With all that, I think I would still go the bottled water route, for drinking and cooking!

HarryFromMarydelDE
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by HarryFromMarydelDE » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:01 am

People in the 1800's used to pay money to come down here to specifically to soak in and drink the sulfur water, which was apparently was considered extra-healthy back then, and of course people still like to soak in mineral water but I don't know if you can do it around here anymore.

When I got here to go to Basic Training late on the night 1 August, 1989, I was astounded by the strong sulfur taste of the water at the Navy Base (where Baldwin Park is now). But after a day of marching around in Orlando in August I didn't notice the taste at all :)

-Harry