Trained Response...

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
CMGUY89
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Trained Response...

Post by CMGUY89 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:16 pm

I was at MK today on my day OFF when I saw this kid protein spill all over Frontierland. I go to the Merch shop and tell her call custodial cause this kid made a mess. I go over to help the kid's mother who is all by herself with two kids, one in a stroller. She immediately treats me with suspicion and I produce my Disney ID and tell her I work for Disney. Then I grab a bottle of VoBan from the nearest trash can and cover the spill. When I finish with that a manager has appeared and looks at me like I am psycho. I tell him that I work at Epcot and just wanted to help. He takes them to first aid and I continue on my merry way, thoroughly grossed out. Then I think "What the hell did you just do?!?!?" I must have broken dozens of Disney rules and I am now worried about getting into trouble. What do you think?

~CM;)GUY89
Private Dining Cashier
Yacht & Beach

RIP Trainer Status...

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Trained Response...

Post by hobie16 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:34 pm

CMGUY89 wrote:What do you think?
You should get a raise for being proactive. On or off duty, you stepped up and helped out. When I was managing people and stuff and someone from another department helped out, I made damn sure their manager knew about it. I'd also help other people and departments out whenever I could.

I was approached by the area sales manager for Asia. He had a deal for a system going to Korea that, if the customer tested and liked it, would lead to lots of follow-on sales. Manufacturing had run out of fiber interconnect cables and the shipment would be held up for one week. If it didn't ship the following morning, the customer would not accept the system.

I went to Hobie's Hideaway where I stashed returned equipment, got the cables and gave them to him. The system shipped the following morning.

A week later my boss showed up (I was based in California; he was in Dallas). He had heard about me saving the Korea deal and gave me 500 share options.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

vixen101485
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by vixen101485 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:12 pm

Well I guess I have broken rules at numerous business establishments. If I see ,,,Ummm..(I am eating right now and trying to think of a way to put this and not gross myself out) Well, what you saw happen. I usually try to go tell someone and see if the folks involved need help if I dont have a queasy tummy at the time.
You did nothing wrong and stepped up to the plate and did the human thing. I wouldnt worry about it. If anything the woman should have been thanking you profusely.

Oh...And I have grabbed the stuff at Wally World that they toss on stuff when the staff has not moved fast enuf.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:34 pm

I can't believe that you would get in trouble for helping out in that situation. You just validated any training you got from Disney. You were helping a guest that was obviously having a bad time at the moment. I hope that CM's like you are around if any of my family needs help in an obviously tramatic (minor!) situation.

If anything, you should be commended!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:59 pm

Good for you!! You are good samaritan, no matter if you work for Disney or not. :D

Attractions:
Rocket Scientist at "HISTA"/ Astro Orbitor,
Space Ranger at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks
From June 28, 2003 To October 4, 2006 - Once A DL CM, Always A DL CM!

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:21 am

Don't worry about it, you did the right thing. Probably the reason the manager looked at you weird is because he saw what appeared to be an average guest helping out on a protein spill, including covering it with VoBan.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Notatourist
In our Memory
In our Memory

Post by Notatourist » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:17 am

More than likely the manager isn't used to employees being proactive like that.

You did good. Although if you hadn't been trained to use Voban (remember it's chemicals you're exposing yourself to) you could have done wrong in a very minor way.

I'm not a tourist cause I work there...

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:12 am

We have a Good Samaritan Law here, not sure if it applies to your situation(cleaning up ) but I would plead that I was protecting the rest of the Disney guests if anyone said anything. I doubt anyone would. Make sure you wash your hands! :p:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D: