Mark VII Monorail Has Arrived!

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Mark VII Monorail Has Arrived!

Post by Zazu » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:25 pm

Driver_dylan wrote:Sorry Zazu, but the roads on WDW were turned over to the state DOT Several years back.
Interesting news, and contrary to information and evidence at hand. Could you suggest a source for where I could look up that data? It could have a bearing on a legal issue.

Zazu

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:32 pm

Driver_dylan wrote:Reedy Creek is a town unto itself. With its own taxing and zoning rights.
Close. WDW is divided by Bonnet Creek into the incorporated city of Lake Buena Vista on the east and the unincorporated city of Bay Lake on the west. Both contract with RCID to provide services.
So yes although the state does not maintain the roads, the city does.
Technically, RCID does under contract to the cities, but that's a small point.
Also the roads are under the supervision juristiction of both the city of Orlando Police, and the FHP.
Now here I know there's an error. No part of WDW is in, or even adjacent to the city of Orlando. Nearest they come is about ten miles, IIRC.

WDW *is* patrolled by either Orange or Osceola County Sheriffs, and the FHP has jurisdiction over traffic accidents.
This information I have first handafter recieving a ticket Inside the the parking lot at MGM.
Forgive me if this seems rude, but I'd love to see exactly what agency issued a ticket, and for what offense. I once got a ticket for bad driving in a mall parking lot, but it certainly wasn't issued by the authority of the mall, and I believe the situation would be equivalent.

And please don't take my questions for more than they are--a search for information. This is a very fuzzy area of the law, partly because Disney prefers it that way, and partly because it's a unique legal environment. I suspect we all have much we could learn, and I do appreciate your help with my studies.

Zazu

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:35 pm

Driver_dylan wrote:ADDENDUM:

According to the NTSC website, Zazu is right, The manditory retirement age for any locomotive frame is after 50 years of service. :eek: and the monorails fit that discription.
Thanks, I do know my trains. But I also know that the definition of "railroad" (or to quote from the law, "railroad of standard gauge") does most clearly *not* include monorails.
However; My information about the Mark VIII's comes from a friend who works at DTI (Imagineering for those of you who don't speak initals).
My friends in Imagineering work for "WDI" for "Walt Disney Imagineering". What's the meaning behind "DTI"?
Zazu, I bow :bow: to your superior mind.
No call for that. All I'm displaying now is a different source of information. Plus I could be wrong.

Hey, it could happen!

Zazu

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:50 pm

I have twice gotten tickets on WDW.

One time was for having forgotten to display my handicap hang tag and parked in a disabled parking space at DTD. (When I sent them a copy of the hang tag, the fine was only $20 for failure to display the tag rather than $250 for illegal parking.)

The other was on Western Way for speeding.

Both were from Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:51 pm

Ah, watch out on Western Way. It drops quickly from 45 to 35 and the cops treat that section of roadway like it's their baby.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Randy B
In our Memory
In our Memory

Post by Randy B » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:35 am

Zazu wrote:Thanks, I do know my trains. But I also know that the definition of "railroad" (or to quote from the law, "railroad of standard gauge") does most clearly *not* include monorails.
That brings up a question. Since "Gauge" is the measurement between the inner edges of the two outermost rails, what would the gauge be for the monrails? Would it be zero or the width of the beam?

Just curious.

Randy

Driver_dylan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Driver_dylan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:52 am

This is a debate I won't touch with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole.

As for DTI, ment to type WDI. Sorry.

VISA. It's everywhere you want to be, and a lot of places you don't.

Planner
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Planner » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:53 am

Wow thanks for the pics! Feeding my little transportation geekery need while I wish the darn things were more cost effective to build and use.

*slinks back into the shadows*

[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't just let nature run wild"[/font]
Walt Disney

Wonder if he was thinking about a SG:D:

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:24 am

Big Wallaby wrote:Ah, watch out on Western Way. It drops quickly from 45 to 35 and the cops treat that section of roadway like it's their baby.
Can you say "$$$$Cash Cow$$$$?"

Also watch out for World Drive by STOLPort and Osceola Parkway by World Drive and yes, the parking lots too!

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:23 pm

Although not up on Flordia traffic law, I do know that most state traffic laws are written to extend to private roads in as such as the public has access. In other words, if the public can drive there, so can law enforcement (and issue citations)(bummer!) Of course, private security can and does interface with law enforcement. This is true outside of WDW as well!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?