Mark VII Monorail Has Arrived!

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Randy B
In our Memory
In our Memory

Re: Mark VII Monorail Has Arrived!

Post by Randy B » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:02 am

Driver_dylan wrote:First, the WDW monorails are old (the youngest being placed into service 1991) and still average around a 95% efficiancy. Yes they have problems, but they are mostly caused by to many twenty hour days. For the most part we try our best.

Second, the Mark VII are little more than the Mark V with a new body. the frames are the same as well as the internal systems.

To answer another question, acording to what I have heard we are due for new monorails at WDW sometime between 2015 and 2020
Is it too early or too late to make some design requests?

An ejection seat or two in the cab? You could finally satisfy the SG who insists you let them off at their car in the MK lot. :D:

IMHO a few of those seats in the mid cars wouldn't be a bad idea from time to time.

And to increase energy efficiency an aux power source to assist the primary. A large hamster wheel on the back that would allow SGs to become useful and maybe even "pull their own weight". :D: :eek: :twisted:

Randy

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Mark XII Monorail Has Arrived!

Post by SRT_GB » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:50 am

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Now I DO feel old! I remember staying at the Disneyland Hotel, and walking to the front of the hotel and getting on the monorail! It seemed closer!
I'll let you in on a little secret: The DTD monorail station is in the exact same location the old DLH monorail station was. They just downsized the hotel by removing the old Monorail Plaza stores and restaurants, which were about where ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe are today.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:13 am

felinefan wrote:How many people do those new monorails seat per car? Is the crew cab designed to keep out SGs who insist on riding up front? They look very nice; how fast do they go?
Capacity is supposed to be the same, bench seats that face out the windows. Speed is the same as well.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Mark XII Monorail Has Arrived!

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:12 pm

SRT_GB wrote:I'll let you in on a little secret: The DTD monorail station is in the exact same location the old DLH monorail station was. They just downsized the hotel by removing the old Monorail Plaza stores and restaurants, which were about where ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe are today.
I knew that, its not hard to figure out, just look where the overpass to the street is and the monorail station is, and you realize it has not moved. The first time we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel after the "makeover" DW was convinced it had been moved, until I pointed out that the street was now an overpass, and that the cafe and other buildings had been removed. But it does look like its longer! I guess you would discount walking through the shops and resteraunt area in the old setup!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:17 pm

monorail1977 wrote:Nice looking train hopefully it will work not like the ones in florida always breaking down!! :twisted:
Driver_dylan wrote:First, the WDW monorails are old (the youngest being placed into service 1991) and still average around a 95% efficiancy. Yes they have problems, but they are mostly caused by to many twenty hour days. For the most part we try our best.

Second, the Mark VII are little more than the Mark V with a new body. the frames are the same as well as the internal systems.

To answer another question, acording to what I have heard we are due for new monorails at WDW sometime between 2015 and 2020
I was going to answer that, but I think you have it covered. I've never seen the monorails go 10-7 more than a couple hours for maintenance, which, when you think about it, isn't bad when you consider the amount of equipment and the number of people that can have to be moved around to fix the problem. I also haven't seen it happen that often. It's also one of the reasons for having buses around. But for trains that are, for the most part, 17 or more years old with an original projected lifespan of 20 years, they are doing pretty well.

I'll still Cross-U into monorails at some point in the near future.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:44 pm

According to a former WDW monorail pilot friend, WDW just redid the interior and control systems on all their monorails, so upgrading to the Mark VIII isn't likely anytime soon.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:02 pm

Yes. The interiors now feature four poles instead of those bars that went across the car. Much quicker to load.

Looked better the old way, it was more themed. But I understand the reasons.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:24 pm

Well, cant wait to try them!!!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:13 pm

One thing that is very useful in the changes concerns ECVs. If the car is not crowded, and you have a three-wheel ECV, you can maneuver to do a 180 so you go out forward on the Express line. Much easier than backing off.

EpcotFan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EpcotFan » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:04 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:
I'll still Cross-U into monorails at some point in the near future.
But then you'd never get to spiel! :D: