Mark VII Monorail Has Arrived!

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Mark VII Monorail Has Arrived!

Post by hobie16 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:22 pm

EpcotFan wrote:But then you'd never get to spiel! :D:
You can spiel the lucky front cab riders.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Driver_dylan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Driver_dylan » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:38 pm

hhsrat wrote:According to a former WDW monorail pilot friend, WDW just redid the interior and control systems on all their monorails, so upgrading to the Mark VIII isn't likely anytime soon.
There is only one problem by that logic, and that is this.

The monorails at WDW are classified as a local rail line due to the fact that it crosses state run rodes and utilities. This means that the frames of each train will need to be replaced after twenty years and before twenty five years of age. The plan seems to be, to replace the frames when due, but keep the cost lower by upgrading most of the internal systems before than and replaceing them on the older frames.

VISA. It's everywhere you want to be, and a lot of places you don't.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:53 am

Driver_dylan wrote:There is only one problem by that logic, and that is this.

The monorails at WDW are classified as a local rail line due to the fact that it crosses state run rodes and utilities. This means that the frames of each train will need to be replaced after twenty years and before twenty five years of age. The plan seems to be, to replace the frames when due, but keep the cost lower by upgrading most of the internal systems before than and replaceing them on the older frames.
Ah.... no.

The WDW Monorails do not cross any public roads. All roads on WDW property are privately owned. That's how they can assign drivers to vehicles without even checking to see if they have a valid drivers license. (No objections please, I'm one of those drivers!)

If the WDW Monorail system *was* classified as a railroad (which it is not), Federal Railroad Administration rules would require retirement at 50 years of age, not 25.

Trust me, the Mouse will run those things until the wheels fall off (as has happened to the units in Las Vegas).

Zazu

Driver_dylan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Driver_dylan » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:43 am

Sorry Zazu, but the roads on WDW were turned over to the state DOT Several years back. As for the rest, I will have to double check and get back to you on that.

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:08 am

Driver_dylan wrote:Sorry Zazu, but the roads on WDW were turned over to the state DOT Several years back. As for the rest, I will have to double check and get back to you on that.
If the roads were turned over to the state, then why, as one comes in the various entrances, are there small signs posted which say on them "End State Maintenance"?

And Disney (or RCID) has their own construction/repair schedules; they don't have to wait for state/county funding for repairs. Also Disney can shut down any road on property any time it wants, such as look at all the stuff for the Marathons, without going to anybody else.

Also, for the new Western Way, Disney gave the land and money for Interchange #8 on the 429 to the Turnpike Authority, but then built Western Way itself.

Driver_dylan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Driver_dylan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:49 am

Reedy Creek is a town unto itself. With its own taxing and zoning rights. So yes although the state does not maintain the roads, the city does. Also the roads are under the supervision juristiction of both the city of Orlando Police, and the FHP.

This information I have first handafter recieving a ticket Inside the the parking lot at MGM.

Driver_dylan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Driver_dylan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:02 am

ADDENDUM:

I believe that part of being a grown up is knowing to admit when you are wrong, so I admit my mistake. According to the NTSC website, Zazu is right, The manditory retirement age for any locomotive frame is after 50 years of service. :eek: and the monorails fit that discription.
However; My information about the Mark VIII's comes from a friend who works at DTI (Imagineering for those of you who don't speak initals). Sorry for my screw up.

Zazu, I bow :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: to your superior mind.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:20 am

I hope the Mark VIII's look nice. I understand that in Florida, they are not allowed to be driverless because they are not completely level (and thankfully, they never will be!) so there will pretty much always be a monorail pilot at Disney World.

I don't know why that is so important to me, except that if you get the right family up front, that can make for some great magic-making opportunities in the pilothouse.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:43 pm

I don't think the trains between the terminals and the airsides at OIA (MCO) are level. Why would they be allowed to be driverless and the WDW monorails have to have a driver?

It would be my guess (and it's only a guess) that it has to do with distance and not being level.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

bpgstudios
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bpgstudios » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:41 pm

I also seem to recall the OIA monorails have an evacuation platform that spans the legnth of the track. That could be part of it (Plus they only run 1 train on each track)

"Where is 21?"
-Before 22?