Guest dies on Expedition Everest

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Guest dies on Expedition Everest

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:51 pm

A 44-year-old man has died after riding the Expedition Everest roller coaster at Disney's Animal Kingdom today.

Jeffrey Reed, of Navarre, was unconscious and unresponsive when his ride vehicle pulled into the unload area, around 11:25 this morning.

Another park guests who is a registered nurse and a Disney employee began cardiopulmonary resuscitation until Reedy Creek Emergency Services paramedics arrived and took over, said Assistant Fire Chief Bo Jones.

The man had no pulse when paramedics arrived, Jones said. There was no apparent trauma and "no obvious signs of any cause," Jones said. The paramedics transported him to Celebration Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Walt Disney World officials said the ride was inspected this morning and was operating properly, but is currently closed while Disney officials reconfirm the ride's status.

The Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection and the Orange County Sheriff's Office were notified.

A Disney spokeswoman said the company has offered the man's family "our deepest sympathies" and offered assistance.

The death is the first associated with the roller coaster Expedition Everest, which opened in early 2006. That ride includes tight twists and turns and some backwards travel but is not a particularly fast or steep roller coaster and has no loops.

The death is the third death associated with a Disney attraction this year and the first since March, when a man died after collapsing at the Downhill Double Dipper at Blizzard Beach.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business ... b02_layout

Sounds to me like Disney is in no way to blame.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

CMGUY89
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Guest dies on Expedition Everest

Post by CMGUY89 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:17 pm

Very sad, nobody should have to visit the ER on a trip. But like you said, sounds like a pre-existing condition. Condolences to family, and praise goes to the CM for CPR.

As just an added note: I got certified with CPR and AED before I started at WDW so there is another angel with a nametag looking out for guests, even if they are SG. ;)

~CM;)GUY89
Private Dining Cashier
Yacht & Beach

RIP Trainer Status...

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:24 pm

One thing about CPR, if the guy died early on in the ride, there was no way they were going to bring him back. I understand that if you don't start CPR in the first 45 seconds, your chances go down drastically after that, and keep falling every second between the medical event and CPR. Perhaps a nurse or medical professional can either back me up here or put me in my place.

So if you get someone on Living With The Land, you may be getting to them, what, ten minutes after the heart attack or whatever if you notice them at Unload? Good that you'll know how to use the AED and administer CPR, but you can only do so much.

I appreciate you learning it, just as I will, especially now that if something happens, it can take a bit for help to arrive. I've discovered it's amazingly easy to climb around those trucks, even with a gut the size of mine.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

CMGUY89
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by CMGUY89 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:29 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:One thing about CPR, if the guy died early on in the ride, there was no way they were going to bring him back. I understand that if you don't start CPR in the first 45 seconds, your chances go down drastically after that, and keep falling every second between the medical event and CPR. Perhaps a nurse or medical professional can either back me up here or put me in my place.

So if you get someone on Living With The Land, you may be getting to them, what, ten minutes after the heart attack or whatever if you notice them at Unload? Good that you'll know how to use the AED and administer CPR, but you can only do so much.

I appreciate you learning it, just as I will, especially now that if something happens, it can take a bit for help to arrive. I've discovered it's amazingly easy to climb around those trucks, even with a gut the size of mine.
That's very true. But if a guest were to lose consciousness I have a feeling another guest would try to get out of the boat or something. If someone were to be unconscious in the greenhouse we could probably see it on the camera and call and alpha-unit. I don't think it would help if it happened on the ride but you never know when someone may have a heart attack...
PS How are things over at KS? Have you met my friend Jasmine yet?

~CM;)GUY89
Private Dining Cashier
Yacht & Beach

RIP Trainer Status...

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:30 pm

CMGUY89 wrote:That's very true. But if a guest were to lose consciousness I have a feeling another guest would try to get out of the boat or something. If someone were to be unconscious in the greenhouse we could probably see it on the camera and call and alpha-unit. I don't think it would help if it happened on the ride but you never know when someone may have a heart attack...
PS How are things over at KS? Have you met my friend Jasmine yet?
Jasmine is awesome. Lots of fun. One of the many people there I already love working with.

Have you told her about SGT? If not, then I will! I think she'd love it here.

CMGUY89
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by CMGUY89 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:33 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Jasmine is awesome. Lots of fun. One of the many people there I already love working with.

Have you told her about SGT? If not, then I will! I think she'd love it here.
Actually no I haven't. Be sure to tell her. She's a dear, dear friend and does a great job there, and over at ToT.

~CM;)GUY89
Private Dining Cashier
Yacht & Beach

RIP Trainer Status...

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:59 pm

She gave me some (very helpful) advice yesterday, and spent some time telling me she hates giving advice because it makes her feel like she's mean or something. She wasn't at all mean!

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:44 pm

All bad things aside, I can't think of a better way to check out!!

(course it also shows, it dosn't matter where you are, if you are going to go, then you will!)

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Kwahati
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Kwahati » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:50 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:One thing about CPR, if the guy died early on in the ride, there was no way they were going to bring him back. I understand that if you don't start CPR in the first 45 seconds, your chances go down drastically after that, and keep falling every second between the medical event and CPR...
You're pretty much right on. The statistics vary as to exactly when the precipice is, but the point is, if much time passes, it's a slippery slope to not being able to fully recover. After around 4 min 45 sec (statistics vary depending on who you listen to) of not getting oxygen circulated through the body is when major brain damage begins. The other piece to take into account is that CPR in and of itself will rarely bring a person back. The AED is the real key. And being certified in AED is something of a misnomer: at most CPR classes, they gloss over it because that's more than enough. The AED is so easy to use because the unit itself will talk a rescuer through its use! It actually tells you what to do! I've kept current as a lifeguard until recently, and I'm still current in CPR Pro. But that's just a rough situation, sounds like a heart or brain event to me. Condolences to everyone involved (including the CM, things like that are hard on people who cared for the deceased as well...) :(

Edited to add: Amen, Grumpy. If you have to die, wouldn't you want to do it in the happiest place on earth?

Yo, it's one universal law but two sides to every story
Three strikes and you be in for life, manditory
Four MC's murdered in the last four years
I ain't tryin to be the fifth one, the millenium is here.
- Mos Def Mathematics

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:55 pm

I stay current in CPR as well, and have added the AED. Like Kwahati, I agree, it almost sounds like a brain event. Those can strike with no warning, and a lot of times are not survivable.

(the two times I gave CPR for real, both were gone and like one ER doctor said, nothing we could have done, even if he had been in the ER!)

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?