3 Pop Warner teams booted from WDW

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: 3 Pop Warner teams booted from WDW

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:35 pm

Interesting fact: WDW was the first place in Florida to implement a 911 system. It also was the first place in the state to use a totally electric telephone that uses underground cable.

WDW is essentially its own county, due to its size and other factors. It has its own fire and ambulance services and has mutual aid with Orange County in case either needs assistance. It makes sense to me for it to also have its own 911 center as that results in faster dispatching of fire and ambulance personal (the vast majority of calls I'm betting) as 911 calls go directly to their dispatch center instead of going through Orange County first and having to be relayed to Reedy Creek dispatch. I assume the operators know the parks and resorts well and have quick access to maps of them so can more easily dispatch personal to the right place than someone who doesn't know the area quite as well.

I don't see how WDW running their own 911 system is anymore "big brotherish" than any city or county doing so. I could see having a problem with Disneyland if they ran their own center as it is so small but WDW covers more land than some towns.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Whazzup » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:18 pm

hobie16 wrote: My really haole daughter comes home with stories that really make you wonder what parents are teaching their children. Two girls she met who were half Hawaiian, half Latino, told her they liked to give haoles a welcome Hawaiian style. I don’t think any lei was involved.
Hey Hobie, do they still have "Kill A Haole Day" in the public schools?
Luckily my son attended a Montessori school most of the time we lived there.
We used to go to the beach at Waianae and it could get pretty rough sometimes. We were snorkeling one day and looked up to see a bunch of local toughs rummaging through our beach bags on the shore, with everyone else just sitting around not saying or doing anything about it.
That's about the only thing I don't miss about Hawaii. Oh yeah, the traffic jams, too.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:40 pm

Whazzup wrote:Hey Hobie, do they still have "Kill A Haole Day" in the public schools?
Luckily my son attended a Montessori school most of the time we lived there.
We used to go to the beach at Waianae and it could get pretty rough sometimes. We were snorkeling one day and looked up to see a bunch of local toughs rummaging through our beach bags on the shore, with everyone else just sitting around not saying or doing anything about it.
That's about the only thing I don't miss about Hawaii. Oh yeah, the traffic jams, too.
I haven't heard of any lately but that doesn't mean it still doesn't go on. There was a minor parking lot fender bender on Oahu recently that escalated into a hate crime. The father of the "local" driver beat both the other driver and his wife up pretty badly while calling them "f*****g haoles." He got five years for assault.

Overall, Hawaii is a pretty safe place to live or vacation. Like any other location, there are areas to stay out of. And, like anywhere else, if you see or are the victim of a crime, call the police. If they blow you off call the local newspaper. It's just flat amazing what an article in the paper will do to public servants and corporate officials attitudes. Here's an example.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-l ... ome-center

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

SRT_GB
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by SRT_GB » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:39 pm

Shorty82 wrote:I could see having a problem with Disneyland if they ran their own center as it is so small but WDW covers more land than some towns.
DLR does have its own internal 911 system that I believe was implemented to appease the public after the 2000 Roger Rabbit accident. Basically, DLR and its CMs were criticized in the local media for not calling 911 immediately after the accident occurred and only calling internal first aid, etc. Before that incident, we were given two separate numbers for First Aid for crisis or non-emergency (4204 on the floor, 4205 alive), and a third number for Security. As a result, they announced that CMs were to call 911 for all emergencies where a guest or CM required medical/security assistance, and required us to sign a form acknowledging that we were told to do so. Calling 911 from a DLR company phone gets answered by DLR Security, "Disneyland Resort 911, what's your name and location?", and I don't believe they told the media that part. I believe this includes phones in hotel rooms, since they are part of the same phone system. But dialing 911 from a pay phone still gets you to Anaheim's municipal 911 call center.

:towmater:
A precision instrument of speed and aromatics

Disneyland Stores June 2000-September 2004
Disneyland Hotel Stores November 2004-December 2005

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:40 pm

Wow, until I read it here, I never realized there was so much ill feelings. That just seems counter of how I view Hawaii

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:26 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:I just googled and found out that WDW does control the 911 system, it refers to a book, "Married to the mouse" and some passeges. It sounds like someone is very unhappy with the way WDW does things!!
Judging from the sound of that title, I would have to guess they don't think too highly of Disney or its (probably stupid, brainwashed idiot) Cast Members like myself. They say you can't judge a book by its cover, but sometimes you can a bit. Now I'd like to read it to see what they say about me as a CM. But I wouldn't pay to do it. So if someone has a copy...
hobie16 wrote:That's a simple thing to do in the telephone system's routing tables. I'd guess the parks and hotels on Disney property all run off of a single switching system that has remote switching nodes in each location. Ease of programming, maintenence and reduced staff to maintain it.
Actually, with the Tie Line going to both Disneyland and Disney World, I'll bet it's all part of the Tie Line system. Anyone know if we can call Tie Line from guest resort rooms?

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:55 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Actually, with the Tie Line going to both Disneyland and Disney World, I'll bet it's all part of the Tie Line system. Anyone know if we can call Tie Line from guest resort rooms?
Most large companies that have multiple sites will implement an internal voice and data network. This will reduce telco expenses and provide an extra level of security.

With Disney's mix of employees and guests both using the same switching systems you'll find access to inter site tie lines and trunk lines controlled by routing tables. Once the tables are set up it's just a matter of assigning phones to the proper table. It's all software and can be done within minutes.

As to accessing tie line groups from guest rooms, it just ain't gonna happen. One way it could happen is for a corporate user to have a code that will override routing table restrictions. I've set a few of those up for the anointed few in a number of companies.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Whazzup » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:23 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Wow, until I read it here, I never realized there was so much ill feelings. That just seems counter of how I view Hawaii
Perhaps you never left the Waikiki tourist area?? Like Hobie says, there are shady parts of the island, just as there in all cities/communities. I lived there back in the 70s and many of the locals (kamaainas) resented the intrusion of all the non-locals, including military and associated personnel. Actually, the Japanese have bought up large chunks of island operations and are probably the majority population now.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:34 pm

Well, a lot of the times I was there for work, and really didn't have any "tourist" time. When they would send us, they wanted us to take care of the problem and get back to the mainland! About the only thing I did do was walk over to the international market area and get some shirts and trinkets to give to the office staff!! So yeah, I guess I really didn't get to see some of those areas you talk about,..not that I would want to waste my time.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Kwahati
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Kwahati » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:05 pm

Shorty82 wrote:I don't see how WDW running their own 911 system is anymore "big brotherish" than any city or county doing so.
Well, not that I actually feel this way, but I could see how it's got that Big Brother feel. You see, in a normal city, beyond paying taxes, you're not paying the city *directly* to sleep there, play there, eat there etc. At the level where WDW controls your housing, your food and your free time, it could seem a little overbearing that they also control who you get to talk to about an emergency. I'm not saying that's the right attitude, as WDW having their own 911 dispatch makes sense for the reasons you outlined among others.

My personal opinion is derived from that I've cooked for people before. Beyond that, I've had the "joy" of cooking for people who *HAD* to eat my food (employee cafeteria in a very secluded place). I found out the hard way how closely people hold their food and how pissed off they get when they feel like things aren't going their way and they have no control over fixing that. Emergencies go way beyond that. By definition, emergency management is trying to reign in something that is already out of control. So I could definitely see how any amount of control being taken away from people (even if it's only a perception issue rather than a real loss of control) in an emergency could seem overbearing and "Big Brotherish"... [To be fair, I felt the people who got upset at me for cooking what I was told to were unreasonable, and I feel the same way about people who are upset about Disney going to extremes to keep them safe: those people are unreasonable and stupid.]

Yo, it's one universal law but two sides to every story
Three strikes and you be in for life, manditory
Four MC's murdered in the last four years
I ain't tryin to be the fifth one, the millenium is here.
- Mos Def Mathematics