3 Pop Warner teams booted from WDW

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: 3 Pop Warner teams booted from WDW

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:16 pm

hobie16 wrote:There's lots of property for sale currently. There's a new development over the hill from me that sold out immediately to flippers. Funny thing is just after they bought, the finance/housing bubble popped. Now they're stuck with the payments and $800 per month association dues. Some lots are now on the market for under purchase price.

Permits are another deal. If you're in a planned development they're usually not a problem. If you're on agriculture land or along the beaches you could be in for a long fight.
The way they described it, it was in a "cove" of palm trees, on a slight hill, overlooking the beach about a half mile away. I take it that they really didn't look into the permit area until it was too late, or didn't read the fine print that might say they couldn't build without certain restrictions, etc.

I think a lot of Flippers in the San Diego area are in the same boat!! Guess the bank will re-sale when they default!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

Eeyore Tattoo
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Eeyore Tattoo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:41 pm

OK, Time for my gripe!!!!!!!!!!!
On our visit last week I was awaken at 2 AM
by a group of morons outside our room at POR
They were yelling, cussing, and drinking...........
I called security but no one showed up. :eek:
I want all my money back for our whole trip including air fare! :D:
Yes, It was during Pop Warner time..
Deb

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:02 pm

There were certainly a lot of kids matching the Pop Warner decription staying at POR. I went to dinner with some friends there and saw them all over the place. They might have even outnumbered the roaches on some old RTS's (and some were about as pleasant, too!).

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:47 pm

Eeyore Tattoo wrote:OK, Time for my gripe!!!!!!!!!!!
On our visit last week I was awaken at 2 AM
by a group of morons outside our room at POR
They were yelling, cussing, and drinking...........
I called security but no one showed up. :eek:
I want all my money back for our whole trip including air fare! :D:
Yes, It was during Pop Warner time..
Deb
Can you skip calling security, and call the police directly, maybe if the POLICE call Disney security, you might get a quicker response!?

Kwahati
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Kwahati » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:53 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:Can you skip calling security, and call the police directly, maybe if the POLICE call Disney security, you might get a quicker response!?
I don't know how true this is, but I heard something about that if you call 911 from a phone on Disney property, that the call is routed to some sort of Disney dispatch call center... Seems like that's a subtle way they could keep most guests from calling cops for something Disney Security should be able to handle...of course, local calls are free at the hotels now and I think there are phone books in the rooms, so you could call the 5-0 directly, I would think... :confused:

Yo, it's one universal law but two sides to every story
Three strikes and you be in for life, manditory
Four MC's murdered in the last four years
I ain't tryin to be the fifth one, the millenium is here.
- Mos Def Mathematics

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:16 am

Kwahati wrote:I don't know how true this is, but I heard something about that if you call 911 from a phone on Disney property, that the call is routed to some sort of Disney dispatch call center... Seems like that's a subtle way they could keep most guests from calling cops for something Disney Security should be able to handle...of course, local calls are free at the hotels now and I think there are phone books in the rooms, so you could call the 5-0 directly, I would think... :confused:
I just googled and found out that WDW does control the 911 system, it refers to a book, "Married to the mouse" and some passeges. It sounds like someone is very unhappy with the way WDW does things!!

Cranbiz
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Cranbiz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:40 am

E911 at WDW works like E911 everywhere else. Even the mouse can't change that. What they can do is have a PSAP (public safety answering point) like every other city/town/county.

They do staff a PSAP and it's Reedy Creek Emergency Services that mans the PSAP. For fire and EMS, Reedy Creek responds and calls Orange County Fire Rescue for mutual aid. For police matters the call is transferred to the Orange County Sheriffs 911 center. Disney security would also be dispatched.

This has to happen by law, period.

BTW, you can call 911 from your cell phone and bypass Reedy Creek entirely for a police matter. The cell phone call goes to OCSO first unless you called the *FHP number and then you go directly to the FL Highway Patrol.

No longer the Wearer of Purple Pants

No longer a General in the Bolivian Army!

"The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Kwahati
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Kwahati » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:53 am

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:I just googled and found out that WDW does control the 911 system, it refers to a book, "Married to the mouse" and some passeges. It sounds like someone is very unhappy with the way WDW does things!!
Eh...I've heard some of the complaints associated with that, and I'm not impressed or persuaded. We happened to need medical assistance for my female roommate on our recent trip and I was most impressed with how it was handled. Their 911 people were professional and way better than 911 in *any* city I've ever lived in and made sure we knew our options, then dispatched an ambulance. Then, it seems, they contacted our hotel because our hotel had someone run ahead to our room to tell us the ambulance was just pulling up and "help is on the way". The Reedy Creek guys were great, professional and well trained (and willing to not dumb things down for us when we expressed that we all had limited medical training and could mostly keep up with them if they wanted to use medical jargon). And apparently the Hotel Manager stayed discreetly nearby our room while the EMT's were in the room with us so that she could check on us and make sure everything was okay and see if there was anything she could do. (Edited to add: she was very tasteful about it and didn't approach us until the medics were departing with my roommate)

I guess the whole Big Brother aspect of Disney controlling 911 and relaying information around their business like that could be a little disconcerting, but I feel if it really is for benevolent ends (and, call me a dreamer, but with Disney I feel confident it really is benevolent) then it's all the better. And I'm used to a little of the relay of information about me around Disney. I've had situations where something went wrong with a hotel, and I get informed upon arrival at dinner than my hotel would like to pick up the tab and other such things, so it didn't surprise me in the least...

Reedited to add: and the hospital there is great too! Awesome level of care and service! (A little overly religious for my taste, but a good hospital is a good hospital, so what's a little religion between friends, huh?)

Yo, it's one universal law but two sides to every story
Three strikes and you be in for life, manditory
Four MC's murdered in the last four years
I ain't tryin to be the fifth one, the millenium is here.
- Mos Def Mathematics

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:34 am

Kwahati wrote:I don't know how true this is, but I heard something about that if you call 911 from a phone on Disney property, that the call is routed to some sort of Disney dispatch call center... Seems like that's a subtle way they could keep most guests from calling cops for something Disney Security should be able to handle...of course, local calls are free at the hotels now and I think there are phone books in the rooms, so you could call the 5-0 directly, I would think... :confused:
That's a simple thing to do in the telephone system's routing tables. I'd guess the parks and hotels on Disney property all run off of a single switching system that has remote switching nodes in each location. Ease of programming, maintenence and reduced staff to maintain it.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:29 pm

Kwahati wrote:Eh...I've heard some of the complaints associated with that, and I'm not impressed or persuaded. REDACTED FOR BREVITY Reedited to add: and the hospital there is great too! Awesome level of care and service! (A little overly religious for my taste, but a good hospital is a good hospital, so what's a little religion between friends, huh?)
I wouldn't think that they would handel it any differently that any other 911 system. I was referring to the googled excerpt of a book called "Married to the Mouse" (which I have heard of but never have read it) the passage is very.umm..critical of the fact that WDW "controlls" the 911 system and can "screen" the call going through to the sheriff. I guess he is trying to imply that the control is to keep bad publicity down by having disney security handle everything. I don't believe this, as the liabality outweighs any gain from not getting the law enforcement involven in a situation that requires their presence.

Anyone read this book?