Idiot bus driver!

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Idiot bus driver!

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:11 am

Put some alcohol in my system, and see what happens? I thought I posted here, but didn't. Or maybe I did post here, and someone deleted it to help me save face. Either way, the thing I thought I said has not been said.

First off, Welcome MCP. Off the cuff, you sound like someone we'll enjoy having here. As far as securing your wheel chair, when you are someone who respects the fact that it is a little extra work for me, at that point sometimes it's the people in the mobility units that are the most fun to drive. I get an extra moment with you, and let's face it... I sorta have to invade your personal space repeatedly to get you secured, so I figure we'd better get to know each other a bit so that we're joking around when we get to that point where I am reaching around you. Just be patient with me if you have a seat that I don't recognize and it takes me a moment to figure out where to strap you down... or, if you board my bus and it's 4703 and they haven't upgraded to the hooks. The old system is, instead of hooks, seatbelt loops that I have to loop around something on your chair and click it shut. I had one guy who rather not-nicely asked if it was my first time loading a chair, and my response was something along the lines of "You'll have to forgive me... This bus hasn't been upgraded and I haven't used this strap system in about six years, and it's a clunky system. So it's going to take me longer. If you like, I would be willing to let you off and you could wait for the next bus which will have the newer hook system."

Second, about cellular phones... Except when I am talking to family or the Bubble Ladies, I rarely use it for frivolous stuff. Even with friends, it's "hey, let's meet here and do dinner or something". But a cellular phone does little to convey body language, which is important when you're using any sarcasm whatsoever. Of course, I never do... But that's covered in a different thread.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Second, about cellular phones... Except when I am talking to family or the Bubble Ladies, I rarely use it for frivolous stuff. Even with friends, it's "hey, let's meet here and do dinner or something". But a cellular phone does little to convey body language, which is important when you're using any sarcasm whatsoever. Of course, I never do... But that's covered in a different thread.
I think you like to play cell phone tag, but that could just be me
:D:

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:22 am

ktulu wrote:I think you like to play cell phone tag, but that could just be me
I am rather difficult to reach. I rarely have my ringer on. Sorry about that.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:54 am

Big Wallaby wrote:I am rather difficult to reach. I rarely have my ringer on. Sorry about that.
I have my ringer on loud usually, and I still don't hear it :D:

No worries!

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:49 am

First off, Welcome MCP. Off the cuff, you sound like someone we'll enjoy having here. As far as securing your wheel chair, when you are someone who respects the fact that it is a little extra work for me, at that point sometimes it's the people in the mobility units that are the most fun to drive. I get an extra moment with you, and let's face it... I sorta have to invade your personal space repeatedly to get you secured, so I figure we'd better get to know each other a bit so that we're joking around when we get to that point where I am reaching around you. Just be patient with me if you have a seat that I don't recognize and it takes me a moment to figure out where to strap you down... or, if you board my bus and it's 4703 and they haven't upgraded to the hooks. The old system is, instead of hooks, seatbelt loops that I have to loop around something on your chair and click it shut. I had one guy who rather not-nicely asked if it was my first time loading a chair, and my response was something along the lines of "You'll have to forgive me... This bus hasn't been upgraded and I haven't used this strap system in about six years, and it's a clunky system. So it's going to take me longer. If you like, I would be willing to let you off and you could wait for the next bus which will have the newer hook system."
Thanks for the great welcome Wallaby. I'm not worthy! LOL I sure do enjoy reading here and I do hope you won't mind having me around the place.

I'm still learning all this high-tech bus talk but I take it 4703 means either OLD or REALLY old? :D or some colorful variation there of?

I honestly haven't seen the old strap system in awhile, maybe the trip before our last one. But I definitely do all I can to try to make things easier for not only the bus drivers but the monorail folks. Believe me nothing makes me feel worse than seeing someone haul that heavy @ss monorail ramp out for me.

I'm lucky in that I can get out of my chair- I know a lot of guests can't and so when I'm able, if at all possible I do and my husband will fold it up so we can board the bus without fanfare. But with the pain issues I have, sometimes it's just too much to do and that's when I rely on the kindness of strange bus drivers to strap me down :)

I've only ever had one scare. Fortunately someone in my party was able to fix the straps before I careened across the aisle. I hadn't realized it wasn't down tight before we pulled out and then it was too late to get the driver's attention.

I ALWAYS joke with the drivers because between me, the chair, and the forearm crutch that I have to hold very awkwardly across my lap when I ride in said chair (Wish they'd create some kind of clip to hold it instead) somebody usually ends up getting friendly with somebody unintentionally LOL. I either bump their arm with it or they bump some prominent part of me with something trying to avoid it . But we have a good time!

I mean, you're in Disney World people. You should be able to have a good time on the transportation system!

Unless. . .you're coming on at Contemporary, headed to DTD, and the bus just let off a bunch of sopping wet people who were not only at Blizzard Beach but also got rained on. And you didn't realize the seat was wet. That lady was definitely not having a good time on the bus last month LOL.

Speaking of which I wish they'd do a water parks only bus. Would make the ride back from DTD to the monorail hotels so much shorter. . .it took us almost an hour to get back to the Poly by the time they did the PI stop, switched drivers there, went to the water parks, went to the Contemporary. . .

And a quick note on cell phones, my friends know not to leave me voicemail. I never check it. My cell is for my kid to reach me when she's with her father and I'm not home, that's it. Otherwise, emergencies only I just can't abide being on the phone all the time.

MCP (lookie I have an abbreviated nickname already! WOO HOO!)

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:07 am

And a quick note on cell phones, my friends know not to leave me voicemail. I never check it. My cell is for my kid to reach me when she's with her father and I'm not home, that's it. Otherwise, emergencies only I just can't abide being on the phone all the time.

MCP (lookie I have an abbreviated nickname already! WOO HOO!)
Welcome to the REALLY FUN Disney message boards! You will ROTFL reading the posts here! You sound like you are going to enjoy the ride! Have Wallaby strap you in and post away!!!!!! :D:

Hear! Hear! on the cell phone being for emergencies. Voice mail, what is that! :p: LOL! I NEVER check it. There are probably hundreds of messages on there just waiting for the last 2 yrs! :rolleyes: But the cell IS handy when Ralphie-Pooh and I go to separate areas of the Park for whatever reason or he or I has to go back to the resort and the other just wants to stay for awhile. It IS convenient to make that neccessary contact! Like our dear Wombat here, I have hated all phones ALL my life! Even as teenage girl, I was never the type to hang on the phone, :eek: to me it is just a waste of time. The only exception to talking for longer periods of time for me is our family who are all in California, Oregon or Florida and we are here in the Mile High City (hopefully not for long, anyone looking for a house on the hill with a great view of the mighty Rocky mts (and a swimming pool which is unheard of) in Colorado??? :D: ) Yeah, I thought not... ;)

Besides my monster-in-law likes to call EVERY day just to talk to her little Ralphie! Gaaaaahhhhhh! He is good tho, he does not answer the phone all the time either! :twisted:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:24 pm

ktulu wrote:I think you like to play cell phone tag, but that could just be me
Isn't that why God created voice mail??? :cool:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:28 pm

MonorailCoPilot wrote:I sure do enjoy reading here and I do hope you won't mind having me around the place.
Haven't minded you one bit so far! Please, keep posting.
MonorailCoPilot wrote: I'm still learning all this high-tech bus talk but I take it 4703 means either OLD or REALLY old? :D or some colorful variation there of?
Actually, 4703 is the designation number of a bus I had the other night, and it had the old strap system. So in answer to your question, yes. I have it on good authority that between myself and that bus, we have the better part of a century covered in years, with the bus being the older of the two entities in question.
MonorailCoPilot wrote: I honestly haven't seen the old strap system in awhile, maybe the trip before our last one.
And you shouldn't. I was rather surprised to get into a Disney bus and see the old strap system. I actually am so uncomfortable using it that I just downed the lift and apologized. I would rather inconvenience you than hurt you because I can't find a good place to strap your chair in, because the equipment is so old that it's that difficult to use. Oh, bad memories from my school bus driving days.
MonorailCoPilot wrote:...and that's when I rely on the kindness of strange bus drivers to strap me down :)
Hey, I didn't realize we'd met! Was that you that was looking for a pouch that one night?

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by ktulu » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:59 pm

I'm unfortunate to 1) be oncall every other week for my job and 2) a manager, so I'm pretty much oncall 24/7. I have to check vm and try and answer my phone. It also means I could be on the phone for a long period of time during times like dinner, in the middle of a crowded resturant. And no, I can't just call the person back, when I'm on the phone it usually means some user on the Internet is not playing well with someone else and it's causing problems for a bunch of people, or costing a company some $$$ while they are down. Good times :/

Otherwise, I hate talking on the phone.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:28 pm

ktulu wrote:I'm unfortunate to 1) be oncall every other week for my job and 2) a manager, so I'm pretty much oncall 24/7. I have to check vm and try and answer my phone. ...
Voice Mail, Vehicle Maintenance, or Vocal Majority???

I'm confusing myself now.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter