Supersize Me

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
ICStupidPeople
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Supersize Me

Post by ICStupidPeople » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:38 am

Does anyone else think this was a great opportunity for an experiment that went horribly wrong and became too unbelievable by the conditions exposed in his "experiment"?

I know I'm late in the game watching this movie, but I finally got around to it, and as I sit here watching it, this is what I have noticed thus far:

1) this guy was a primarily vegan eater prior to the 30 days of McDonalds. That type of diet change would adversely effect ANYONE. It should have been done by someone who did not eat an overly healthy/vegan/no meat/limited protein diet.

2) he is eating double of things, forcing himself to finish a fry when he is full, ect. Even large people do not continue to eat when they are full. He is eating until he throws up.

3) The guy who made this movie quit smoking at the same time he went on the 30 day McD's diet. He would normally gain weight anyway as his metabolism is messed up.

4) He changed his mode of transportation completely. He didn't take into account people's bodies will adapt metabolism based on normal energy expenditure. He stopped walking and started taking cabs/driving...he threw his body into shock

Don't get me wrong, I think fast food is nasty, and although I am overweight for my height (124 lbs...5 foot 2 1/2), I don't believe that fast food is entirely to blame for our society becoming too lazy to cook a meal at home or eat more healthy products.

This movie kind of pisses me off (what I've seen so far anyway). It gives the people that want someone to blame for their inability to get off their asses and exercise and eat right someone to point the finger at, because it can't be us right? WE don't WANT to look like this....the fast food companies force us too <sigh>.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Supersize Me

Post by Big Wallaby » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:11 am

I always wondered what else the guy did during the study... I figured for the diet to have THAT much effect, he had to throw his body out of whack in other ways. I'm curious... did he ever lose the weight afterward?

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

ICStupidPeople
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ICStupidPeople » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:22 am

Big Wallaby wrote:I always wondered what else the guy did during the study... I figured for the diet to have THAT much effect, he had to throw his body out of whack in other ways. I'm curious... did he ever lose the weight afterward?
Not sure if he lost the weight after, i'm still watching it..lol

You know I'm not one to be outspoken normally <looks around and hopes most SGT members don't recognize me> but I will kinda call b/s on this movie. It's a bit like when I watched Fahrenheit 911...I love MM and most of his movies, but his over zealous witch hunt for Bush provided less credibility for the movie. He could have proven him a moronic idiotic moron idiot without expressing it duplicate times in the movie (I know my wallabies will enjoy the irony of that statement, as well as darph and Kw).

I think fast food is the debbil, but this guy took a great idea and screwed it up IMO.

He threw his body into shock with a complete change in diet/quitting smoking/eating more than his normal intake, ect...

ICStupidPeople
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by ICStupidPeople » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:41 am

I guess it took him 5 months to lose 20 of the 24 1/2 he had gained, then another 4 months to lose the rest.

Another issue I have with this movie, he wasn't clear on what is message is. Does he want people to not eat fast food? Limit it? Exercise more if they eat it?

I found no solution in his proposal in this movie. Was there one that I missed?

Don't get me wrong, it was an interesting movie. I recommend it to anyone. Specifically large people that frequent board X, but for those that are interested in facts and not media hype (although some attempt to support their hype with fallacies on this board....anyway...) the movie doesn't fit the bill for a credible source of information.

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:03 am

The main point is the shock value. I have read too many label and what seems simple is not. Read the allergens in fast food and the ingredients.

That plain chicken breast on a whole wheat bun aint what you think it is.

JugglingFreak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by JugglingFreak » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:49 am

Churchy got it right, Shock Value.

This movie wasn't a scientific study and was never meant to be. It was thinly disguised as such to create shock value to sell tickets, dvd's, airtime, etc. in order to make money.

Now, I have nothing wrong with making money (and lots of it), but don't hand me this load of crap and call it "research".

That is the same problem I have with Michael Moore. Oddly enough, I agree with the points he was making in "Sicko" but the movie is a load of crap. He ALWAYS plays fast and loose with facts simply for shock value to increase his profit.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:42 am

The song should be the new american anthem.

Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Syndrome » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:32 am

You have to take those kinds of movies for their entertainment value, sort of like reading the Weekly World News. They take something where there was a tiny nugget of truth and expand it into something that is almost unrecognizable from the original.

I have to confess that I love the Michael Moore movie "Roger & I." Like his others, it is totally twisted as to facts but it is hilarious...I especially love Auto World.

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:51 pm

All I could do is cry and want to move to another country after seeing Sicko.

I had to pay for so much when Mom went into the hospital. My health was ruined more and the depression went deeper. Our medical care stinks when you have to pay and pay and pay for things.

Supersize me was shock value and not very accurate but when you think about what is in our food at these fast food restaurants then you would change your eating habits.

Due to allergies or religious beliefs people want french fries cooked in nonsoy oil with no meat added. For years companies have fried the chicken nuggets, fish, fries and everything in the deep fryer without telling people about this. Even when they are cooked in oil it is too often soy and worse McDonalds was adding beef extract. The company failed to mention this and thus caused people to violate their religious dietary laws and vegetarians to eat meat. BK even has on its veggie pattie the warnig that it contains eggs and is not vegan.

http://www.dietriot.com/fff/mcd/mcd.html

Grilled chicken

Boneless, skinless chicken breast filets with rib meat containing: up to 12% of a solution of water, seasoning [salt, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, spices, whey, flavor (maltodextrin, natural flavors (vegetable source), dextrose, monosodium glutamate), partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, Romano cheese [Romano cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes, calcium chloride], nonfat dry milk, disodium phosphate], parmesan cheese powder [enzyme modified parmesan cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes, calcium chloride), nonfat dry milk, disodium phosphate], xanthan gum, cheese flavor [dehydrated cheddar cheese (cultured pasteurized milk, salt, enzymes), maltodextrin, autolyzed yeast extract], extractives citric acid, soybean oil and sodium phosphates.

Silicon dioxide is sand and it is added to food, hmm.

http://www.stuartwilde.com/Articles/SW_ ... burger.htm

BK deep fries all food except fries in the same fryer. Cheesy tot, pork patties, hash browns, french toast and sticks, fish etc. are thrown in there to make a yummy oily stew.

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:25 pm

Yes, Churchy, I always wondered about that.They do fry all friables in the same oil. My very first job back in the dark ages, was at McD's. I could not get over how the fish and the taters and all the other friable foods went into the same oil. I guess people just don't think about that. If they want to be vegetarian or vegan, they should NEVER, NEVER, eat at a fast food place, because even the salad ingredients and veggies touch the same surfaces as meat products. Even though employees are supposed to clean these surfaces, before placing other products on them, hahahaha, like they really do!!! I have seen what they do back there, yuck! :eek: I always prepped my own meals when I worked!
I had to drop my jaw in shock when I read of the lawsuit against McDonalds, was it last year when the girl sued McD's for making her fat? Jeeze, ya think if you eat all that fried food EVERY day you are gonna gain some weight? That was one of the most ridiculous lawsuits I have ever heard, that and the one the woman won against McD's for the coffee being too hot when it spilled on her and burned her. The fact that she actually won millions of dollars in THAT case was frightening. :eek: I don't know how the other lawsuit has panned out about the food making the girl fat, the last I heard it was being thrown out, but she was going to appeal the decision. Maybe she should be apeeling bananas instead and eat healthy for a change.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!