Guests Speak: What Monorails Mean to Me

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Syndrome
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Guests Speak: What Monorails Mean to Me

Post by Syndrome » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:38 pm

I don't really know why I love the monorails. Maybe it's because the Contemporary was my first Disney hotel. That wouldn't explain Mr. Syndrome's love, though, as his first was Wilderness Lodge. He was sooo excited when I first told him that guests could ride in the front cab. We always had to do that at least once each trip. We both love the Epcot line and that little tour of the park. We've had the monorail spiel as our PC start-up sounds, we have monorail t-shirts, monorail toys, and of course I have my pilot wings and crazy monorail hat. My doctor was even a monorail pilot a few years back. To me, Disney World and monorails are synonymous.

"If you are a dee, please don't marry a dee, 'cause then your kids will be dee dee dee." ....Carlos Mencia

"It's the difference between champagne and carbonated pee!" ....Homer Simpson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work, pal

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: Monorails
Position: Former CM

Post by Monorail_Red » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Just throwing this out there...but some day I'm going to find out the part # of the monorail horns on the Mark VI's. I know the part # of the DL monorails, but if/when I find the horns that are on the WDW monorails, I will slap a set of thoes on my truck in a heartbeat :D:

Regards,
Monorail_Red

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company.

Switchbeam 9
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Switchbeam 9 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:21 pm

Seems like they screw on to the air nozzle that's used for in-shop air pressure. Had Shop forget to put the horn back on. Fun to find that out during the spur test :)

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:46 pm

Monorail_Red wrote:Just throwing this out there...but some day I'm going to find out the part # of the monorail horns on the Mark VI's. I know the part # of the DL monorails, but if/when I find the horns that are on the WDW monorails, I will slap a set of thoes on my truck in a heartbeat :D:
It *might* be the same Grover 1056 (dual) or 1055 (single). I'll try and find out :)
Switchbeam 9 wrote:Seems like they screw on to the air nozzle that's used for in-shop air pressure. Had Shop forget to put the horn back on. Fun to find that out during the spur test :)
The fun one can have with an airhorn or three, a compressor and a tank :)

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Monorail_Red wrote:Once I was on Lime and the spiels were OK, but the please stand clear of the doors and the ding-dong were in slow motion :D:
actually I think it was just the door message and the ding dong.

It was just the thing to make me giggle. Methinks someone in Monorails has a sense of humor...

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:19 pm

ktulu wrote:It *might* be the same Grover 1056 (dual) or 1055 (single). I'll try and find out :)

The fun one can have with an airhorn or three, a compressor and a tank :)
It's been posted on a thread here before, I'm pretty sure -- at least the one for the Disneyland monorails (if they're different). I mentioned it to my family at DL last week while we were waiting for the monorail, that I should look it up and order it for my Honda Civic. It would sure beat the wimpy little factory horn it has!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Hey I have to tell you guys something that really warmed my heart.

My daughter, who is thirteen, didn't know that I was in WDW until right before I got home (she was at her father's house). She was with my husband when I got to the airport and was hugging me a lot last night when I cried remembering something from the weekend (and believe it or not, I managed to hold it together a lot of the weekend unless I was alone then I cried) and she got all teary eyed too and hugged me some more.

She said today wistfully that she can't wait to go back as a family and I said to her that we hadn't really planned a trip this year (budgetwise, cutbacks at work, you know the story it's like that all over) and that we might have to wait a little longer cause of the trip I took this weekend.

Know what she said?

She said, "That doesn't matter, Mom. You had to go, it was very important."

Proof there are still kids with priorities. She was glad that I went even though it may take longer for her to get back to WDW herself.

Yes, I'm proud and yes I'm bragging...this from a kid whose email signature is "Love, Peace, and Walt Disney World"...I'm betting she's going to be a CM down there one day herself.

bru

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:40 pm

February wrote:Hey I have to tell you guys something that really warmed my heart.

My daughter, who is thirteen, didn't know that I was in WDW until right before I got home (she was at her father's house). She was with my husband when I got to the airport and was hugging me a lot last night when I cried remembering something from the weekend (and believe it or not, I managed to hold it together a lot of the weekend unless I was alone then I cried) and she got all teary eyed too and hugged me some more.

She said today wistfully that she can't wait to go back as a family and I said to her that we hadn't really planned a trip this year (budgetwise, cutbacks at work, you know the story it's like that all over) and that we might have to wait a little longer cause of the trip I took this weekend.

Know what she said?

She said, "That doesn't matter, Mom. You had to go, it was very important."

Proof there are still kids with priorities. She was glad that I went even though it may take longer for her to get back to WDW herself.

Yes, I'm proud and yes I'm bragging...this from a kid whose email signature is "Love, Peace, and Walt Disney World"...I'm betting she's going to be a CM down there one day herself.

bru
What an awesome kid, Bru. Not a huge surprise, though, given her awesome mom. Thanks for sharing this.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: Monorails
Position: Former CM

Post by Monorail_Red » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:58 am

ktulu wrote:It *might* be the same Grover 1056 (dual) or 1055 (single). I'll try and find out :)
I know for a fact thoes are the DL Monorail horns...they sound very similar to the Mark VI's, but for some reason they just sound a bit different. :shrug:

Then again, just about every horn on the WDW monorails each have their own unique tone. But, only a true monorail noob can tell the trains apart by the sound of their horn rather than their color! :D:

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:43 am

BRWombat wrote:It's been posted on a thread here before, I'm pretty sure -- at least the one for the Disneyland monorails (if they're different). I mentioned it to my family at DL last week while we were waiting for the monorail, that I should look it up and order it for my Honda Civic. It would sure beat the wimpy little factory horn it has!
I've been researching this for my Jeep for a few months, if you want to know who I end up buying from I'll let you know :D: Right now I am leaning toward the 1056, as the new monorails def. have a dual horn on them.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."