Shoplifting at Disney World

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Shoplifting at Disney World

Post by Disneyguy85 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:46 am

Main Streeter wrote:I see shoplifting on a daily basis.
Daily? Man, that's really sad.

SandrA9810
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by SandrA9810 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:03 pm

Well wouldn't something pop up at the ticket counter when he tries to order ticket?? You have to give your full name and everything to them. I would definatly think twice about going...

Bright Scouter
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Bright Scouter » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:29 pm

That's a good point. But it would really only work if it was a fairly unique name, or they kept track of his address. But I suppose they probably did that. If I go in and buy a group of tickets for family, or friends, I know I have to give names, but I don't have to give addresses for everyone do I?

Either way, don't shoplift and you won't have the problem.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:13 pm

Disney has a number of ways to identify guests who have been banned, but finger scans aren't one of them. They are only used to match ticket media.

We see a lot of banned guests, mostly shoplifters and pickpockets, try to come back -- sometimes the very next day -- and buy tickets using credit cards with their own name. We let them, then wait until they walk through the turnstile before we have them arrested. This way, they not only go to jail for commercial trespass, Mickey keeps the $80!

Orange County courts love these cases. Disney normally has a copy of their trespass notice, plus a video of them signing it. They're nabbed inside the theme park by a Deputy Sheriff. It's an easy 364 days in County. If they ask for a trial, it's usually 3 years.

Despite the level of stupidity, recidivism is quite low after this.

Your neighbor's son may or may not trigger an automated alert, especially if he's aged past 18 or moved since his ban. But as others have said, one run-in with security and it's off to Candyland!

[Note: Candyland is the nickname for the Sheriff's substation and jail at the Magic Kingdom because it's upstairs from the Confectionery.]

Zazu

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:19 pm

Back in the mid-80s I used to be a security guard for Wells Fargo Guard Services. About half my posts were retail, especially the old Gemco chain. I soon realized you can classify shoplifters into categories according to age. Below five years old, they haven't figured out the difference between what rightfully belongs to them and what rightfully belongs to others. It's also an issue if a child is hungry, and there's a delicious candy bar right there in front of them, they're going to go for it.
Once a child gets into school years, it's either the result of poor training by the parents, a dare by a "friend", or, as we learned once, an adult telling children it was okay to take stuff from stores without paying for it. When they start getting into the pre-teen and teen years, it's a dare, rebellion, or trying to see if they can get away with it, among other reasons in a similar vein. Once we had a group of boys who sent a couple of their buddies into the store to grab school supplies, while the rest of them waited outside by the fenced-in area marked "Customer Pick-up". Yes, they used that excuse when their inside buddies were caught tossing stuff over the fence to their "pick-up" buddies. "We're making a customer pick-up", and undercover busted them.
Adults are more complicated. We once had a couple with their kids, the wife in a wheelchair, go into the grocery department and steal cartons of cigarettes. When caught, their excuse was they were going to sell the cigarettes so they could buy food for their kids. Because the office where shoplifters were processed was upstairs, and not wheelchair accesible, they were processed in the warehouse manager's office. I was called in by undercover to witness the officer counting out the money the couple had on them; it was $25, which back then could've gotten them some groceries. Undercover had also caught people of means, including one guy who worked for Lockheed nearby as an engineer; they made very good money back then. In those cases, it's either kleptomania or due to some deep-seated insecurity or kind of like "getting back at the system" thing. You could also classify what usually got stolen by age and gender, but that's another post.

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: Monorails
Position: Former CM

Post by Monorail_Red » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:36 pm

Shoplifting at Disney surprises me, but at the same time it doesn't.

Reason being...there are merchandise carts EVERYWHERE, in addition to the elaborate store displays that are sometimes outside of the stores. So things are easily accessible, which is why I'm not surprised.

But why I am surprised because I can’t figure out why the SG's attempt to shoplift. Disney Security will find them, and the appreciate consequences will come their way...like mentioned above.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Monorail_Red

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company.

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:50 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:So, did you sent the $1.25 to Disney, explaining the whole thing?
If I remember rightly,I gave my ex the $ and the address.I'm pretty sure she took care of it.

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:27 pm

darph nader wrote:If I remember rightly,I gave my ex the $ and the address.I'm pretty sure she took care of it.
Sure she did. ;)

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:16 pm

Zazu wrote: Candyland is the nickname for the Sheriff's substation and jail at the Magic Kingdom because it's upstairs from the Confectionery.]
There is something both ironic and satisfying to know that there is a jail / holding cell on Main Street USA!

It's just so disappointing that is actually has customers...

Switchbeam 9
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Switchbeam 9 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:01 pm

Just about every demographic has people who shoplift. Thrill of it; insecurities; and not wanting to go through the checkout with "certain" items (condoms are a big one). Winona Ryder is a poster child for that =)

As for Candyland: Always knew something was up there because I would see OC parking right outside and them standing around and at the top of the stairs. Love the name "candyland." Best smelling jail a criminal will ever visit. That must be part of the punishment. I used to work outside of a cookie factory and at times it was torture. Especially when they were baking coconut cookies. They made cookies for various brands such as Lil' Dutch Maid, but after sitting in warehouse and stores they just couldn't satisfy.