Fourth of July Monorail Incident

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
freepixie
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: Fourth of July Monorail Incident

Post by freepixie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:10 pm

Switchbeam 9 wrote:Sentential just released it: Austin Henneberg, 21.

Personally didn't know him but looked him up on FB and saw we have a lot of mutual friends. I couldn't imagine what they're going through right now and his family.
Thank you. The name wasn't familiar, and I looked him up on FB too, but I can't tell much from the pic. I'm still so sick and sad about this!

Ladyfair
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ladyfair » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:25 pm

I'm just devastated to see this! Sending hugs, prayers, thoughts, everything to his work and home families. Saying a little prayer for all CMs today to help you make it through with your usual smiles.

praline3001
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by praline3001 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi everyone. As soon as I heard the news I had to come on here and check to see if you monorails guys were okay.
The whole thing is just so sad. We always stay on the monorail resorts and have met several of the pilots over the years and WOW they are so nice!

I know all of you who are in the *know* can't say much due to the investigation so I won't bother asking EXCEPT does anyone know if the track or the station took any damage? It looks like pink was going at a pretty fast speed when it hit and I was wondering if the crash caused damage to either station or rails?

As sad as this was, it could have happened right at park closing with both monorails packed with guest and CM's. If it HAD to happen, at least it happened with a minimum of casualties. If each monorail holds 300 people, that could have been 600 injured/killed rather than just one... granted even one is too much but I am sure you understand what I am saying.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:36 pm

Talk about something coming from out of "left field", I would not have thought of such an accident happening, especially reading about the monorail pilots here, and the ideals of safety above all else.

very sad.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

sandravb79
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by sandravb79 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:54 pm

I am so sorry for the CM who died.
We were riding upfront in monorail pink in April. It feels so weird/ strange to see those pictures like that now.

:(

Dreaming of a great wide somewhere... They call it Disneyland
Accepting all kinds of indecent proposals to get into Club 33.
"We wants the redhead!" - I knew reds would have more fun :twisted:

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:01 pm

I feel sorry for Eddie, he looked like he was pretty much in shock.
Here's what a couple of us seem to have deduced:
Purple was stationary somewhere, was told to hold by central as pink was having some problems. Pink held MAPO override to backup enough to then go back forward onto the switch to shop. For some reason, Pink did not stop in time (stuck MCU, driver error, etc) and backed into purple at 15MPH.

Kurt

Tinker Bell
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Tinker Bell » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:14 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:someone will post a link and info soon, but I just wanted to let you all know I am ok and was not involved. Please pray for those who were.
I'm so glad you are ok! Immediately after I heard about the accident I thought: "I hope Big Wallaby is ok." However, the whole thing is still so sad. I can't imagine what his family is going thru right now.

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Whazzup » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:18 pm

I saw this post on another board. Could faulty brakes have contributed to the scenario?

A guest posted they had just ridden on the pink monorail in the front all the way around the MK loop a few days ago (Sunday June 28th). They said the brakes did feel odd when coming into the resorts. They did not feel smooth and always jerked a great deal on and off. Even another guy commented to his friends that it felt like it needed to be serviced. Could be nothing, but as many times as this person has ridden the monorails, it did feel odd, every time they would come into a resort and brake.

Wow, what a shame to think that 15mph could do that much damage.

Monorail_Red
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: Monorails
Position: Former CM

Post by Monorail_Red » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Whazzup wrote:I saw this post on another board. Could faulty brakes have contributed to the scenario?

A guest posted they had just ridden on the pink monorail in the front all the way around the MK loop a few days ago (Sunday June 28th). They said the brakes did feel odd when coming into the resorts. They did not feel smooth and always jerked a great deal on and off. Even another guy commented to his friends that it felt like it needed to be serviced. Could be nothing, but as many times as this person has ridden the monorails, it did feel odd, every time they would come into a resort and brake.
Well remember, monorails don't brake as smoothly as cars do. So to the average guest they would think that the brakes are rough.
Whazzup wrote:Wow, what a shame to think that 15mph could do that much damage.
The front cabs are just made of fiberglass. It's just a big crumple zone.

Regards,
Monorail_Red

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:14 pm

Whazzup wrote:Wow, what a shame to think that 15mph could do that much damage.
Well, a 50-ton train moving at 15mph has about 1,000,000 joules of energy. For those not familiar with joules, another term is watt-seconds. So, if you apply a million watts of energy for a full second....

Fiberglass shells -- and monorail pilots -- stood no chance.

Zazu