Question about Line Jumpers/cutters

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Question about Line Jumpers/cutters

Post by Zazu » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:32 am

PapaMouse wrote:There is a difference in cutting in line and catching up to your party.
Some times, not always.
Our last trip. ... I went to get FP's for Star Tours while my wife and brother got in line for Indy. When I got back they were well into the line. I told the CM there that my group was in line and that I needed to get catch up to them. The CM moved the rope and let me into the middle opening to watch for them to pass by where I joined them. IMO this is not line cutting.
IMO, it is. Bathroom break? Sure. Buying cokes on a hot day? Okay. But getting FastPasses? Nope, doesn't pass the stink test for me.
The same would be if a family with children and while in line one of the kids needs to go to the bathroom....
Now this is what I consider a fully legitimate case of catching up. One kid, one parent, bathroom emergency. I'll do all I can to assist a family in this situation.

Zazu

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:35 am

I would love to meet you Zazu so I could hug you and thank you for the above post. Well said. I hate when people cut in line and tell me they are catching up with family. The worst I ever saw was a large group from kids to older adults at DLR's Jungle Cruise and they were cutting at least 12 people through the line even up and down them stairs they have. They have an upstairs area on two levels for overflow lines and they actually were trying to get past me but years of McDonalds and eating well kept them at bay on the downward stairs, lol.

I have seen over at disboards over and over how CMs will let the parent of a disabled child leave the line and go off for a while to take care of something then return to the line. It would be nice to have someone to stand in line for single people like me when we need to go potty or get ill or whatever. I am not an SG so I would never have someone hold my spot while I went to lunch, watched a show or took a nap. I always got into a line with drinks and snacks as needed and after going potty. I guess I was not as much an SG as I thought. :confused:

Hugs Zazu over and over then unruffles his feathers.

PapaMouse
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PapaMouse » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:17 pm

Zazu wrote:IMO, it is. Bathroom break? Sure. Buying cokes on a hot day? Okay. But getting FastPasses? Nope, doesn't pass the stink test for me.
So going for a coke while the rest of your party gets in line is ok, but going to get a FP is not??? I have to say if I am in line and someone was trying to catch up because they went for a coke I would not let them pass.

The FP thing could be avoided if Disney would have random FP machines that you can get FP for any ride in the park that uses FP instead of having to do all the back tracking/ Like have a FP machine, you put your ticket in, it ask what ride you want the FP for and prints it out. Would work the same only you would not have to walk past ride A (Mission Space) all the way to ride B (Test Track) to get a FP for ride B then have to back track to go on ride A. They could still keep the FP machines at those attractions too.

Help control A.D.D., Spank a kids ass.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:26 pm

The differences in opinions is why I asked about the catching-up-with-your- party-through -the-exit-thing. I don't really have an issue with someone who is REALLY catching up with their party, just the ones who are PRETENDING to catch up with someone. Problem is, there is no good way to figure out who is doing what, so just easier to send them to the exit and let the CMs sort 'em out ;)
Too bad that idea doesn't seem to work as easily at WDW, but if I ever get there, I'll be too confused anyway to worry about it! :p:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:03 pm

DisneyMom wrote:The differences in opinions is why I asked about the catching-up-with-your- party-through -the-exit-thing. I don't really have an issue with someone who is REALLY catching up with their party, just the ones who are PRETENDING to catch up with someone. Problem is, there is no good way to figure out who is doing what, so just easier to send them to the exit and let the CMs sort 'em out ;)
Too bad that idea doesn't seem to work as easily at WDW, but if I ever get there, I'll be too confused anyway to worry about it! :p:
WDW is not confusing, but if you need a guide I am for hire...

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

breathless
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by breathless » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:25 pm

I don't mind if someone has to take their kid out to go to the bathroom or even if one person was getting a FP or a Coke and catching up with the rest of the family, my issue is with the big group of teenagers that are all goofing off and just pushing through the line saying they need to catch up with their party. Even if they are "catching up with their party" if there is 3 or more, why can't they just ride together instead of pushin' to the front. I really can't remember this happening at WDW, but I remember it happening at Islands of Adventure on the Dudly Do Right ride. But I know it happens at all theme parks.
And as far as the thread staying on topic... I find it kinda funny. It's like Wanda Sykes says goes on in a woman's head when she's trying to go to sleep....

"What did she say to me? I know she wasn't talking bad about me, and I know she wasn't wearing that outfit. I need to go to the bank tomorrow and make a deposit in my account, and I also have to go to the store, and I need to fix that faucet in the downstairs bathroom.... I think i'm goin start knitting again, maybe some scrapbooking stuff. What's for dinner tomorrow?ect...."

All it takes is faith trust and pixie dust... and Rock n' Roll!!!:jessica:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:57 pm

PapaMouse wrote:So going for a coke while the rest of your party gets in line is ok, but going to get a FP is not???
Perhaps you haven't been at WDW when the heat index is 105 or seen Alpha runs for 5 heat stroke victims in one shift. I did mean to say it would need to be a health issue, not just a thirst issue. On a cool day I'd be on your side.
The FP thing could be avoided if Disney would have random FP machines that you can get FP for any ride in the park that uses FP instead of having to do all the back tracking/ Like have a FP machine, you put your ticket in, it ask what ride you want the FP for and prints it out. Would work the same only you would not have to walk past ride A (Mission Space) all the way to ride B (Test Track) to get a FP for ride B then have to back track to go on ride A. They could still keep the FP machines at those attractions too.
This is a most excellent point, but misses an important aspect of theme park design -- keeping the guests busy.

Part of the calculations for FastPass include exactly the sort of walking back & forth you and I both lothe as guests. However, were all FastPass machines flexible as you suggest, it would not keep as many guests busy, thus reducing the overall capacity of the Park. This is why Epcot has such huge capacity despite a relatively small number of attractions -- they're all widely spaced and guests spend more time walking between them.

Truth be told, FastPass reduces the capacity of a Park by a significant fraction of the number of people who *aren't* in a queue because of it. Yes, some of these guests are in less popular attractions, shops, and restaurants, but the rest are plugging up sidewalks. This sidewalk crowding is what determines when a Park starts to close, not attraction capacity.

So while it may seem entirely annoying, there is a purpose being served. Just not one most guests are likely to appreciate. But see my current tagline.

Zazu

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:58 pm

ktulu wrote:WDW is not confusing, but if you need a guide I am for hire...
So am I, plus you don't have to pay *nearly* as much in travel time.

Zazu

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:04 pm

Zazu wrote:So am I, plus you don't have to pay *nearly* as much in travel time.
And you are very knowing about Disney and have a long career with Disney and worked on sites and books related to Disney and are able to get discounts with a CM thing so it is much better to go with the expert Zazu.

I was at DLR once and in New Orleans Square two ladies were suffering from heat related symptoms. It can get hot at any park and guests do not realize how hot and thirsty they can get in those lines especially when the lines are so well hidden like HM in DLR where you see a nice walk and the mansion but wait down and around and then you are in the pit full of snaking lines.

Hugs Zazu and will remember to use him as a tourguide if I were to win the lottery and go to WDW.

PapaMouse
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by PapaMouse » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Zazu wrote:Perhaps you haven't been at WDW when the heat index is 105 or seen Alpha runs for 5 heat stroke victims in one shift. I did mean to say it would need to be a health issue, not just a thirst issue. On a cool day I'd be on your side.

Yes I have, which is why I pack water bottles in a back back. Fresh cooling water at the ready in line. no need to "line jump" for a soda.

Help control A.D.D., Spank a kids ass.