Hilton Head Island?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Hilton Head Island?

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:31 pm

Will be missing for a week starting Sunday! Off to vacation with my folks and the rest of the family. We'll all be meeting up in Hilton Head Island, SC at a villa we rented out.

Anyone who has been there have any suggestion on what is fun/entertaining to do there?

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Hilton Head Island?

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:19 pm

hang out by the pool, get a good rum drink!!!

I seem to remember a lot of night spots with live bands and dancing. A fun place!!!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

JugglingFreak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by JugglingFreak » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:14 am

Sarah Magdalene wrote:Will be missing for a week starting Sunday! Off to vacation with my folks and the rest of the family. We'll all be meeting up in Hilton Head Island, SC at a villa we rented out.

Anyone who has been there have any suggestion on what is fun/entertaining to do there?
I live about a 40 min drive from the HHI resort. It depends on what you like to do. If golfing is your thing, there's that.. There's the beach, drinking, etc.

There's ton's of stuff to do at the resort. I love that place. I drive over there every once in a while just to get a "Disney Fix". It's beautiful.

You can make the drive to Savannah (where I live) and view the historic sites, etc (If you want to go to Paula Deen's place you have to show up about 2 hours early. They don't take reservations except for parties of 10 or more.) ANd if you like drinking we have more bars per square mile than any place in the state, including Atlanta.

Let me know the types of things you like and I can e-mail/PM you information on it..

JF

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:34 am

JF, Yes - I have had my heart set on going to "The Lady and Sons" I love her! We do plan on one day in Savannah. As for the resort,we will be staying on Marriott's Barony Beach Club - not Disney's. As for me, I'm not into golf and such. I'm a youthful 20 something that loves shopping and active life. I know very well about the beach and the marina,light house etc.

We will be limited on transportation as well. We only have one car per family (2 families) and I do not want to drive my folks SUV if I don't have to. Is there a kind of trolly or public transportation service anywhere for tourists?

Anyway, thanks for the help you guys!

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

CelebrationNM
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by CelebrationNM » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:15 am

Yes, there is a trolley that drives around the city (Savannah) and makes stops near the historical attractions. My family and I were some of the worst travelers in the world, but we managed to find the trolley and figure out how it worked, so I think you'll find it pretty simple as well.

When we were at Hilton Head we went out on a boat that went to see the dolphins, which was kind of cool. Otherwise it pretty much rained the entire time and I can't remember how we spent the week, but I'm sure you'll find no shortage of shopping. Have fun!

Hospitality is making your guests feel at home, even if you wish they were.

mechurchlady
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by mechurchlady » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:40 pm

http://www.trolleytours.com/Savannah/

excellent site but study the map to see the best ways of using the trolleys.

JugglingFreak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by JugglingFreak » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:52 pm

Sarah Magdalene wrote:JF, Yes - I have had my heart set on going to "The Lady and Sons" I love her! We do plan on one day in Savannah. As for the resort,we will be staying on Marriott's Barony Beach Club - not Disney's.
Then please, stop by and look at it.. It is beautiful.. It is right near the Mall at Shelter Cove..

Remember, "Lady and Sons" fills up quick. For lunch, you will need to have your name on the list by 10:30 am (serious). Me, I'm lucky, I knew her when she ran the "Bag Lady" lunch wagon and when she couldn't afford to have the "Lady and Sons" in the historic district and it was at the Best Western on Eisenhower Drive. I'm old....
As for me, I'm not into golf and such. I'm a youthful 20 something that loves shopping and active life. I know very well about the beach and the marina,light house etc.
I don't care for golf either, but there is lots of shopping and fun to be had, bike rentals, etc. (They have bike lanes ALL OVER the island. You would probably like that.. Hilton Head is beautiful).
We will be limited on transportation as well. We only have one car per family (2 families) and I do not want to drive my folks SUV if I don't have to. Is there a kind of trolly or public transportation service anywhere for tourists?

Anyway, thanks for the help you guys!
Yes, as mentioned previously, there are lots of trolley tours. One specifically focuses on the movies (and books) about here. I'm a movie buff so I recommend that one. (Specifically, it covers the locations of "Forrest Gump" and "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" the book and movie. Speaking of which, I know the Sheriff from that case.. I have Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, as well as a few other holidays, with them every year.)

Please feel free to PM me if you want further information.

JF

JugglingFreak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by JugglingFreak » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:00 pm

Sorry for the double post, but Go to "Wet Willie's" on River Street while you are in Savannah. It's a frozen Daiquiri bar and the lowest Alcohol content for the drinks there is 151 proof. All of the drinks are made with over-proofed RUM (for you GP) or 191 proof grain alcohol..

You won't need more than one... :twisted:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:12 pm

Sarah Magdalene wrote:As for me, I'm not into golf and such. I'm a youthful 20 something that loves shopping and active life.
Golfing is a good way to ruin a nice walk. The best ball I ever hit was with a garden rake.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm

JugglingFreak wrote:Sorry for the double post, but Go to "Wet Willie's" on River Street while you are in Savannah. It's a frozen Daiquiri bar and the lowest Alcohol content for the drinks there is 151 proof. All of the drinks are made with over-proofed RUM (for you GP) or 191 proof grain alcohol..

You won't need more than one... :twisted:
Wish I would have know that a few years ago!!

Was in the area for work, could have taken the crew out on one of our "down" days!!!

oh well!!

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?