Only in japan

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Only in japan

Post by drcorey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:32 pm

in 2010 a concert was held with a holographic singer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDMmcsH0fo8
the concert was sold out. I am waiting for the to start doing other "cartoon people". course disney could do this now with thier digital puppet system. like Crush and the Monsters Inc laugh floor. neat stuff to follow along with.

Corey

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Re: Only in japan

Post by TiggerHappy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:58 pm

Ah, Miku Hatsune. The famous Japanese Vocaloid. (The very first Vocaloids made were actually English, but they never took off as well.) I went to her concert when they had it in LA last year. Quite the experience. :) She's okay, but I'm more of a Len Kagamine fangirl.

Also, if you must know, they weren't the first to have a virtual concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdAXIj5QViw

Now if you want a projection technology that's REALLY impressive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv1oucG_1ic

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:13 pm

drcorey wrote:in 2010 a concert was held with a holographic singer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDMmcsH0fo8
the concert was sold out. I am waiting for the to start doing other "cartoon people". course disney could do this now with thier digital puppet system. like Crush and the Monsters Inc laugh floor. neat stuff to follow along with.
Interesting that she is backed up by a real band.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:59 pm

DonutGoddess wrote:Interesting that she is backed up by a real band.
well, only she is digital.
I can imagine getting her autograph can be painfull,
ok, hold the item out from your body and cover your eyes...
ZAP! thank you.

Corey

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by TiggerHappy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:25 am

DonutGoddess wrote:Interesting that she is backed up by a real band.
The very first time I saw that footage, I was wondering what would happen if the projector slipped and the drummer's head got in the way. :rolleyes: Would've made for quite the reaction.

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:23 pm

That voice would drive me crazy after a while!

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by TiggerHappy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:58 am

5th Dimension wrote:That voice would drive me crazy after a while!
Might want to avoid talking to some Japanese or Chinese women then. There are those who actually do talk with a high-pitch voice. :)

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:31 pm

TiggerHappy wrote:Also, if you must know, they weren't the first to have a virtual concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdAXIj5QViw
Boosh, Gorillaz FTW. Love em. Been a fan for quite some time.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:17 pm

TiggerHappy wrote:Might want to avoid talking to some Japanese or Chinese women then. There are those who actually do talk with a high-pitch voice. :)
Actually, I was talking about the synthesized part, I don't know if I could go to a concert where all of the songs were synthesized.

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by TiggerHappy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:07 am

5th Dimension wrote:Actually, I was talking about the synthesized part, I don't know if I could go to a concert where all of the songs were synthesized.
Oh, that's what you meant. :o:

Well, you still need a human voice in order to create a Vocaloid so they're not entirely synthesized sounds. Later versions of the Vocaloid programs added breathes and other modifications to make them sound more organic. It is possible to make them sound pretty human, but you'd have to know how to use the program pretty darn well in order to accomplish that.

Here's an example of how a Vocaloid can sound organic (this one's an English Vocaloid named Oliver): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZXBZFADRRc

To note, there's a famous Japanese rock singer who wanted a Vocaloid to be created from his voice and the resulting Vocaloid mimics his voice pretty well. So if you want to preserve your voice for future generations, Vocaloid's the way to go. ;)

The biggest draw with Vocaloid concerts is that EVERY song is not professionally produced, they're fanmade. So if you write and/or compose a song using one of the popular Vocaloid programs and it gets popular enough, it could end up in the concert. And since almost all Vocaloid music is fanmade, you can always download them for free and never worry about copyright infringement. Just make sure to credit the original lyricist and composer if you intend to use a Vocaloid song for an art project that you plan to share with the Internet.