Matt Ouimet Taking over Cedar Fair

This is the place to find the latest news and announcements concerning StupidGuestTricks.com Note: You may reply to any topic in this forum but you may not post new topics.
PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Matt Ouimet Taking over Cedar Fair

Post by PatchOBlack » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:56 pm

Amphigorey wrote:I don't think I've been to other Cedar Fair parks (Knott's doesn't count since I visited long before they owned it), but the last time I visited Great America, it was filthy. There was trash throughout the park, and the grossest thing was the entire wall of chewing gum in one of the queues. Ick.

Also, when I asked an employee where First Aid was, she didn't know. I thought that was appalling.

I hope Matt Ouimet can bring a little of the Disney standard of cleanliness to the Cedar Fair parks.
If I might ask, when was this visit? Just curious if it was before or after my last visit to the place. I did notice that the employees, while courteous, seemed rather apathetic. Then again, perhaps management failed to give them a reason to treat the job as anything other than a paycheck.

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:02 pm

PatchOBlack wrote:If I might ask, when was this visit? Just curious if it was before or after my last visit to the place. I did notice that the employees, while courteous, seemed rather apathetic. Then again, perhaps management failed to give them a reason to treat the job as anything other than a paycheck.
I think it was in 2003 or thereabouts. When did you visit?

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:11 pm

PatchOBlack wrote:Remember, folks, Cedar Fair owns more than KBF.
Yeah, but I think Knott's has suffered the worst under Cedar Fair ownership.

I went to Paramount's Great America (I HATE the new name CF gave it, so much fail) months before we bought it and I have to say it kinda was the way it was before CF touched it, though I'm sure the employees being apathetic may be a side-effect of CF ownership/management. I know a few of my area managers ended up being promoted to GMs of the respected parks.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:22 pm

I remember one time I was doing Calico Railroad, and this one lady said she was so glad to see KBF was a Cedar Fair park. I thought why on earth do you want all parks the same? Knott's was unique in its history, its theme, etc.. Since CF took over, they have destroyed/replaced many beloved attractions, like Haunted Shack, the Original Berry Stand and the Boysenberry bushes, etc.. And maintaince is horrific. Not to mention that the pay is way below standard. I once ran into a guest who was one of the original employees, and she said Knott's had always been a cheap place to work. More than one long-time employee told me they could work on the Outside for three times what they were being paid at Knott's. They wish they could leave, but it's like a bondage on them. Besides, I think they were afraid of what would happen were they replaced (especially on the train).

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Amphigorey wrote:I think it was in 2003 or thereabouts. When did you visit?
About two years ago, I believe. Didn't notice a lot of trash. Just a general lackluster feeling.
Freak wrote:I went to Paramount's Great America (I HATE the new name CF gave it, so much fail) months before we bought it and I have to say it kinda was the way it was before CF touched it, though I'm sure the employees being apathetic may be a side-effect of CF ownership/management. I know a few of my area managers ended up being promoted to GMs of the respected parks.
Hmm. Well, under Paramount, they seemed to at least seemed to match the rides and such up with movies. The employees seemed perkier as well. Remind me to tell the story of my meeting with a female Klingon. As for the name change, well, I wouldn't call it an epic fail, but I will say it seems to match the pattern of being uninspired.

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:09 am

^ Cedar Fair has a LONG history of uninspired attraction names. Trust me, before Xcelerator was settled on, there was "Xtreme Xcelleration" to go with Supreme Scream and Perilous Plunge. I know they changed Top Gun to "Flight Deck" which is the most generic name I've ever heard of. Blech.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:30 am

Freak wrote:^ Cedar Fair has a LONG history of uninspired attraction names. Trust me, before Xcelerator was settled on, there was "Xtreme Xcelleration" to go with Supreme Scream and Perilous Plunge. I know they changed Top Gun to "Flight Deck" which is the most generic name I've ever heard of. Blech.
I'll agree with you that the name "Flight Deck" is blah. Unfortunately, Paramount probably owned the copyright to the name "Top Gun" and CF had to change it.
Matt visited Knott's last week. I did not get a chance to see him though. :( I would have told him to go walk the Western Parking lot and see for himself how awful it really is.
Everyone that did get to see him (mostly management) said he was very nice.

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:06 am

Oh I'm sure Paramount owns the "Top Gun" name without a doubt. But how about "Afterburner" though? That wouldn't have been too bad.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:47 am

Freak wrote:Oh I'm sure Paramount owns the "Top Gun" name without a doubt. But how about "Afterburner" though? That wouldn't have been too bad.
Already used at Fun Spot in Indiana

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:22 pm

Is it trademarked? Of all companies, Cedar Fair wouldn't have a problem with dupli-naming coasters in their ownership.

Also, it seems the original Afterburner is currently SBNO (standing, but not operating) since 2009? Is it on its way out?

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.