CM saved my son

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
AlienMaster
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

CM saved my son

Post by AlienMaster » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:25 am

My only sgt I will admit to. My son and i were at the end of space Mtn ride, just before the last stop I decide it would help to exit quicker if I undo the seat belt before the last stop. The CM at the exit sees what I did and put her hand on my son's forehead to catch him from hitting the rim of the car, getting her hand banged into the rim as his head snaps forward. I thanked her for that and admitted what I did was stupid. She was quick!
I don't think you CM's get thanked enough, thanks!

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: CM saved my son

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:17 pm

I see, tell us you didn't do something similar on any of the other attractions :eek:

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

AlienMaster
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by AlienMaster » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:11 pm

No others, I think that was enough.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:12 am

Now I get to be a real jerk.

When I was training new Monorail Platform Cast, one thing I had to teach them was how to not follow their instinct at times. I can't tell you how many times I was standing next to a ramp, told the person on the ECV to continue backing down the ramp until they touched the ground. Did they listen?

I would watch, especially on those ECVs where the chairs are hanging out over the back wheels, as the person would back down the ramp, stop in the middle, and tumble right on back. I would let them go, because there was too much liability if I tried to save them... my safety, their safety, and legal.

My safety, because if I didn't stop them then they were coming down on me. Theirs, because if I managed to break their fall, I could potentially do damage that the fall would not.

And legal, because in Florida, it is illegal to touch another person who does not want to be touched. If the person comes after the company and me for not catching them, they are much more likely to back up my actions than if I catch the person and they accuse me of assault.

Sad world we live in sometimes.

So, had I been in the position of that Cast Member, I would have had to grimace as I watch your son face plant into the rim of the car. If a car is moving (or stopping) no Cast Member should be touching the car or its' occupants.

Don't get me wrong. I am glad that in this case, everything worked out, but if I don't know you, unfortunately I can't have faith in you to be a decent human being... especially in a theme park environment.

With that said and out of the way, do you mind if I do something nice now?

:sgthello:

Enjoy your time here. Lasolimu should be around shortly to scald you and give you the safety spiel.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Big Wallaby wrote: When I was training new Monorail Platform Cast, one thing I had to teach them was how to not follow their instinct at times.
I don't think you're being a jerk, but I'm glad the CM's instincts overruled her good sense and that AlienMaster's son wasn't injured. :) And I'm particularly glad AlienMaster learned from his mistake. :p:

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Hello AlienMaster, I am the resident dragon and would like to offer you a very warm* welcome to that slice of the internet we call SGT. This website contains threads with quick twists and turns and I would like to advise you to not try to hard to keep up with them. Please keep your hands, arms, and legs safely inside the website at all times and enjoy your stay.

*this instance of warm is actually hot**... very hot

**this instance of hot means that you are now literally on fire, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Anglefan
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Anglefan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Now I get to be a real jerk.

When I was training new Monorail Platform Cast, one thing I had to teach them was how to not follow their instinct at times. I can't tell you how many times I was standing next to a ramp, told the person on the ECV to continue backing down the ramp until they touched the ground. Did they listen?

I would watch, especially on those ECVs where the chairs are hanging out over the back wheels, as the person would back down the ramp, stop in the middle, and tumble right on back. I would let them go, because there was too much liability if I tried to save them... my safety, their safety, and legal.

My safety, because if I didn't stop them then they were coming down on me. Theirs, because if I managed to break their fall, I could potentially do damage that the fall would not.

And legal, because in Florida, it is illegal to touch another person who does not want to be touched. If the person comes after the company and me for not catching them, they are much more likely to back up my actions than if I catch the person and they accuse me of assault.

Sad world we live in sometimes.

So, had I been in the position of that Cast Member, I would have had to grimace as I watch your son face plant into the rim of the car. If a car is moving (or stopping) no Cast Member should be touching the car or its' occupants.

Don't get me wrong. I am glad that in this case, everything worked out, but if I don't know you, unfortunately I can't have faith in you to be a decent human being... especially in a theme park environment.

With that said and out of the way, do you mind if I do something nice now?

:sgthello:

Enjoy your time here. Lasolimu should be around shortly to scald you and give you the safety spiel.
The OP situation happened in California. There are no seat belts on Space Mountain at MK. Maybe the law is different there?

Belgarion42
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Belgarion42 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:09 pm

Anglefan wrote:The OP situation happened in California. There are no seat belts on Space Mountain at MK. Maybe the law is different there?
I'm actually a little confused by the OP, since Space Mountain out here has a lap bar (which releases automatically), not a seat belt.

Check out my blog Faith and the Magic Kingdom! Finding and exploring illustrations, metaphors, examples and lessons for the Christian life found at the Magic Kingdom of Disneyland.

ridetech939
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by ridetech939 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:27 pm

Belgarion42 wrote:I'm actually a little confused by the OP, since Space Mountain out here has a lap bar (which releases automatically), not a seat belt.
Acording to wikipedia.org
From 1975-1989, each of these two rockets featured two seats, each seat designed to hold two passengers (the front passenger rode in the rear passenger's lap, again like the Matterhorn Bobsleds), for a total capacity of eight passengers per train. Each rider had his/her own seat belt. In 1989, the trains were completely replaced. These new trains were externally and cosmetically very similar to the originals, and still consisted of two rockets joined together

Belgarion42
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Belgarion42 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:44 pm

ridetech939 wrote:Acording to wikipedia.org
From 1975-1989, each of these two rockets featured two seats, each seat designed to hold two passengers (the front passenger rode in the rear passenger's lap, again like the Matterhorn Bobsleds), for a total capacity of eight passengers per train. Each rider had his/her own seat belt. In 1989, the trains were completely replaced. These new trains were externally and cosmetically very similar to the originals, and still consisted of two rockets joined together
Ahh! So this must not be a recent story! That makes much more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Check out my blog Faith and the Magic Kingdom! Finding and exploring illustrations, metaphors, examples and lessons for the Christian life found at the Magic Kingdom of Disneyland.