DLR employee sent home for wearing muslim head covering

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: DLR employee sent home for wearing muslim head covering

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Freak wrote: :rolleyes:
Here's an update: Michael Hiltzik is an idiot.
I totally agree. That's why I don't read the L.A. Times.

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Wha? That seemed like a perfectly reasonable article to me.

kcberlin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by kcberlin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:52 am

All I can say is that outfit is craptastic.

The opinions expressed here may not be those of kcberlin. Sometimes I just like to stir shit.:twisted:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:31 am

kcberlin wrote:All I can say is that outfit is craptastic.
Maybe it's by design. ;)

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:20 am

DLRFantasmic!Dan wrote:A different case, Disney allows religious head scarves: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... work-.html
Yes, but it was modified by Disney to a style the girl agreed to wear. It was designed by the costume dept and THIS girl agreed that it was an acceptable sunstitute. The girl at Story Tellers is not complying with ANYTHING that Disney presents, another positon, 3 different types of modfications. She wants to sue and I am sure you can guess what she wants: MONEY $$$$$!

Disney could win this suit because they have offered her other solutions and have not fired her. She has turned down every solution Disney comes up with. They have followed the law to the letter in making modifications that are acceptable for their dress code.

Theming is crucial to Disney Parks and when one hires into Disney, they are told many times about the Disney look and know they must comply. They know from the get-go that they have to adhere to the "Disney Look" and sign contracts that says they are aware of the costume regulations. This woman has worked for Disney for 2+ years and just recently started to wear her hijab. She knew from the time of her hiring, that she could not wear the hijab, yet now she is suing to do so. She KNEW she could not wear it 2+ years ago. And, now she won't accept any solution, but wearing her hijab at a themed early 1900's National Park Lodge (such as one might find at Yosemite or Yellowstone) in a cafe of the same theme.

It is a slippery slope, because if Disney allows her to wear her hijab, then what is to stop every other religion from wearing their religious garment: Jews wearing Yarmulkes, Hari Krishna in saffron robes, Muslim men in long beards, every religion wearing the jewelry of their religion, Crosses and Star of David pendants. What if some religion required face tattoos? They would have to be allowed to be hired, face tats and all. It is ridiculous to even consider allowing this to happen. etc... It could totally destroy the theme of the Park which Disney is renowned for.

I believe that Disney has met the requirement in trying to accomodate this woman. She should work elsewhere if she won't follow Disney rules about the costuming and the "Disney Look"
JMHO!
The Princess

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!

svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by svickersart » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:48 pm

I agree, the press likes to be very pc, and if you should say something bad in regards to islam then the death threats start coming. This is part of the bloodless war being waged, start here and read about Europe
http://europenews.dk/en/node/14505theres alot going on the so called mainstream press doesnt report on. Oklahoma has a ballot measure on the November ballot that would make shariah law not usable in the state, and of course moslems are shouting racism over it. This is just one way of picking away at America, one of our most beloved institutions, Disney. Islam is to be passed on any whay possible, and if someone wont convert, then its okay to kill them, thats the truth of the religion. There are no moderates in islam. We need to be careful and so many are afraid to speak up.
Steve

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:41 am

svickersart wrote:I agree, the press likes to be very pc, and if you should say something bad in regards to islam then the death threats start coming. This is part of the bloodless war being waged, start here and read about Europe
http://europenews.dk/en/node/14505theres alot going on the so called mainstream press doesnt report on. Oklahoma has a ballot measure on the November ballot that would make shariah law not usable in the state, and of course moslems are shouting racism over it. This is just one way of picking away at America, one of our most beloved institutions, Disney. Islam is to be passed on any whay possible, and if someone wont convert, then its okay to kill them, thats the truth of the religion. There are no moderates in islam. We need to be careful and so many are afraid to speak up.
Steve
....I think you've been reading too many forwarded email chains.

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:07 am

If Disney allows this to go to court, they will have to prove that it caused them undue hardship under the Federal Law Title VII. In a case that happened at WDW some years ago, Disney settled out of court. The girl got her money. I will find the article and post the link to that case at WDW.

I still believe that Disney has met the crux of the law, by providing alternate costume changes and alternate roles at the Grand. I do believe they are in thier rights to deny the wearing of the hijab after all the alternatives they provided and that she denied.

She may find herself the darling of Union 11 right now, but when she goes away losing this case, they will latch onto another cast member with a stick up their butt.

MOST cast members don't have a stick up their butt, this one did. The other Muslim woman agreed to the altered costume that Disney provided, which weakens Miss Boudlal's case.

One of her fellow Muslims AGREED with Disney that a costume is necessary for the role and wears the altered headpiece Disney provides and yet the other girl refuses on grounds that she should wear here hijab without alteration. She has a weak case with the other woman agreeing to the altered costume. It shows that Disney has made EVERY effort to accomodate her religious beliefs without altering the show, for which Disney is renowned.

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:17 am

Here is the link to the WDW case of a woman insisting that she wear her huijab to work. I t was back in 2004:

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2004 ... yCode.html

I really hope Disney does not cave on this. The theming is the reason that Disney has the best Parks in the world. I would hate to see religion creep over the berm. We are supposed to be taken OUT of reality and that means politics, religion, sex, and the rest of life 'out there'. I want my Disney experience as pure as it can be, I want the magic of believeing that I am in a fantasyland, or back ion the old days of the frontier (although glowing monkeys dancing on a barge, Princesses and Princes floating across the water of the Rivers of America and a fight between good (Mickey) and evil (the nasty dragon) does not really fit in the realm of a frontier town at night, now does it? ;)

I want my real life to fade away and I want to have a great time NOT thinking about the things that are controversial. I want peace from all that. And that is what Walt wanted to give us. Is it so hard to follow Walt's dream? I guess the world changes and things are not so simply defined anymore. Disney should be. it is the last bastion of fantasy for many of us and should remain so. That is just how I feel. People should Keep their religion and politics and sex and other real life issues OUTSIDE the Parks.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:32 am

Princess Susi wrote:
I want my Disney experience as pure as it can be, I want the magic of believeing that I am in a fantasyland, or back ion the old days of the frontier (although glowing monkeys dancing on a barge, Princesses and Princes floating across the water of the Rivers of America and a fight between good (Mickey) and evil (the nasty dragon) does not really fit in the realm of a frontier town at night, now does it? ;)
Depends on how much Whiskey a Cowboy had at the Saloon ;)

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D: