Why do the CMs at CRO play dumb?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
tzuhouse
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Why do the CMs at CRO play dumb?

Post by tzuhouse » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:07 pm

I just called to see if they could tell me if there would possibly be any more closings for refurb being announced for September. I explained to the CM that we've all heard rumors for over a month that RnRC might be going down, but only today did it get confirmed on the Disney website. He asked what "other" Disney sites I was referring to. I said, "You know about them" and he pretended like he's never heard of any other site other the the "official" one. I realize the Disney likes to keep up the whole thing of "it's not happening until it's on the website" but considering how often all these non official sites report things far in advance of Disney that turn out to be completely accurate, it certainly cannot be said that they don't know what they are talking about.

Does Disney actually tell them that they cannot even acknowledge these other sites or is he just playing ignorant because he wants to.

Not trying to start anything here. I worked retail for years and I certainly understand the crud you all have to deal with. But, I never pretended to not know about things that I obviously did.

Thanks
Mary

Staarbux
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: Why do the CMs at CRO play dumb?

Post by Staarbux » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:07 pm

Maybe that one particular CM wasn't particularly internet savvy and genuinely didn't know what you were talking about? I certainly wouldn't immediately say he was trying to 'ignore the obvious' because he wasn't sure what you were talking about...

tzuhouse
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by tzuhouse » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:14 pm

I guess that could be true. I certainly didn't ask how long he had worked there.

Thanks. I'll try to NOT jump to conclusions.

Mary

Panther007
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Panther007 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:22 pm

What is this thing about RNRC going down, for maitnance? or an upgrade?

and some people dont have to play dumb, they are naturally dumb

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:32 pm

Panther007 wrote:What is this thing about RNRC going down, for maitnance? or an upgrade?

and some people dont have to play dumb, they are naturally dumb
Well GEE. Maybe they 'honestly' don't know. I know it sounds stoopid but "everybody,can't know 'everything' ALL the time".Look at our President. :eek:

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Yeah, and certain web sites have said that Disney Quest will be closing in 2004, 2005, twice in 2006, and in Feb 2007. None of them have happened.

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:07 pm

When you call Walt Disney World, unless you really know a direct number, you will get one of two offices.

The Disney Reservations Center (DRC) includes Walt Disney Travel Company (WDTC), Central Reservations Office (CRO), Disney Dining, and some other lesser known information lines. To the best of my knowledge the DRC locations are in the International Drive area, Tampa, Kansas City and somewhere in Texas and somewhere in Utah. There may be more. Some of the people working at the DRC call centers may never have been to either WDW or DL (or both).

The Main Switchboard (407-824-2222) is also where all calls to Disney Resorts go if you are dialing the phone number on the back of your reservations form. Also that is where calls go if you dial the Operator from your room, and possibly even calls to the Front Desk. The Main Switchboard people will, if asked, also identfy themselves as Guest Services. They can put you through to any number on WDW.

At both DRC and MS they have access to a computer which has lots of Guest Information and it is very well organized. Actually, all CMs who have access to a terminal, or who even can access the "Cast Portal" from off-site, have access to this Guest Services information. I will often open an extra window when I am responding to people and go into the Portal for the latest official information.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:29 pm

Disney could also be taking the approach to sticking with the "it's not official until we say it is." There are factors that they only know about, contracts getting approved and signed, parts ordered and shipped. While it's a good chance that board X says $ride will go down, and they are correct, there is also a chance that the rehab will be pushed back due to some special circumstance.

Also Disney wants to keep their website as the website of choice. They want to be able to market directly to you. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they instructed CM's at CRO to "play dumb" when guests mention other websites.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:05 pm

ktulu wrote:Also Disney wants to keep their website as the website of choice. They want to be able to market directly to you. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they instructed CM's at CRO to "play dumb" when guests mention other websites.
They haven't told me to play dumb about other web sites. In fact, there's a short list of sites I'm specifically authorized to use to assist guests.

Besides, I can find a more reliable answer ten times as fast at several fan sites than I can at the Disney sites, including the Cast Portal, er-- Hub, er-- whatever they're calling it this week.

Naw, when I'm trying to help a guest, I'll use whatever tools I can get my hands on. If they want me to stop using a site, they can jolly well block my access to it from my work computer. (At least, until I get an Anonymizer relay set up for it.)

Zazu

vixen101485
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by vixen101485 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:33 pm

I dont think they play dumb. They just might not know. Or they may be new to the Disney Universe and not aware. Or young and this is their first job and they may be afraid to do anything beyond what "the Book" tells them to.
I loved Norma Diane that I had today, we were chatting while she waited for something to come up on the monitor and she told me she kinda does things her way and that making the guests happy was her first priority over some little thing "that she should be doing" I LIKED HER! :D: She had not heard of this site when I mentioned that I learned about "Disney given" names on here. She was just happy they didnt saddle her with Norma Jean LOL

The CM's at CRO also dont know everything at all times. News to Norma D that RNR was going down for refurb in Sept. (they had just put it up on the official site about 4 hours prior) As she said, she had been inside at work during that time. She did hear something about the ticket price increase but couldnt officially tell me. LOL The Sentinal published it about 2 hours later...LOL

Last trip I had one CM "PUSHING" the official site everytime I mentioned another, he actually poo poo'd them, I finally snapped and said that when the site becomes easier to navigate then I will use it more often. SO I know what you mean Zazu. It is a pain to find anything on and I can find out faster on one of the other sites or by going thru the long phone menu (keep pressing 0) at CRO.