Pin Traders

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
wicked
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Pin Traders

Post by wicked » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:32 am

mapo wrote:Nothing discourages them. And I am sure that the CM was being mean and 'coated' the pin in the turkey goo on purpose!

MAPO
Yum...no but you can't wear a lanyard if you work at a: popcorn, churro, pretzel or turkey leg stand for fear of it getting caught in the popcorn machine, churro oven/pretzel oven and for fear of turkey goo :) like you guys said :) though I always wore it as a relief :) I think its fun besides it made my day go by faster...

Trips to Disneyland- 05,06,07,08,08,08-09,10
Trips to WDW- 93,97

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:39 am

wicked wrote:Yum...no but you can't wear a lanyard if you work at a: popcorn, churro, pretzel or turkey leg stand for fear of it getting caught in the popcorn machine, churro oven/pretzel oven and for fear of turkey goo :) like you guys said :) though I always wore it as a relief :) I think its fun besides it made my day go by faster...
Sorry, I need a sarcasm button when I write things like that.

I was just trying to say that if we did allow ODF to have lanyards at say turkey cart that the guest would complain that the CM coated the pin in turkey goo on purpose.

Wicked, you do need to fix your signature cause otherwise you start your program in 2019. I do not think you want to be in college that long *on purpose* to get into the CP program.

MAPO

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:44 am

That's strange, ODV lets their employees to hang their lanyards next to their register. If it is slow, that cast member can pin trade. Now it if is mega busy, they place the lanyard down below.

Churro carts, ice cream and frozen lemonade carts.
Turkey legs are a no go like you mentioned. The CM can get pins coated in turkey gew. Carts that don't create a hazard can do it. Balloon vendors can not do it.

wicked
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by wicked » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:22 pm

turkeyham wrote:That's strange, ODV lets their employees to hang their lanyards next to their register. If it is slow, that cast member can pin trade. Now it if is mega busy, they place the lanyard down below.

Churro carts, ice cream and frozen lemonade carts.
Turkey legs are a no go like you mentioned. The CM can get pins coated in turkey gew. Carts that don't create a hazard can do it. Balloon vendors can not do it.

Balloon vendors can wear them...it takes skills to pin trade and sell balloons...its stupid but you can..

Trips to WDW- 93,97

wicked
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by wicked » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:29 pm

mapo wrote:Sorry, I need a sarcasm button when I write things like that.

I was just trying to say that if we did allow ODF to have lanyards at say turkey cart that the guest would complain that the CM coated the pin in turkey goo on purpose.

Wicked, you do need to fix your signature cause otherwise you start your program in 2019. I do not think you want to be in college that long *on purpose* to get into the CP program.

MAPO
yeah i know...I never have time...

Trips to WDW- 93,97

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:25 am

wicked wrote:I have to admit, I'm one of those pin nazis :) I just went to Dland this past week and when I see someone with as lanyard, I stop them. Don't wear the pins if you don't want to be stopped..but I wait until they're done counting...I would never go to someone on a gurney though!! I mean major SG...wtf??
I like to wear my favorite pins on my lanyard. I do not trade and I know many others who do the same as I do. We just like to have some of our favorite pins on our lanyards. Not everyone wearing a lanyard with pins, trades. I collect my faves. My pins are very special and usually very HTF and one of a kinds. Usually when people see the pins on my lanyard, they KNOW they are not tradable pins, they are my keepers. They can tell by how rare or LE the pin is.

So, don't be offended when I say I don't trade pins if you see my lanyard and ask me to trade. Many of us just love our pins and like to wear some of them.

And if I ever were to trade, which I do infrequently, I bring traders in a little plastic bag and trade ONLY with CMs, never with other pin traders. I have had enough experience in the past with Pin Nazi's to ever want to trade with them again. Not to mention all the worry about fake pins and the other stuff that goes with collecting a certain item. You have to be on the ball all the time to know the worth and if it is real, etc...etc... and I just don't want to be that involved with pins anymore.

I also always carry a bag of pins with me and give them away to kids.

I have a great friend, (you know who you are!) who trades and gets me some special pins in my favorite category. She loves pin trading and has a lot of fun doing it, so she gets the fun of trading and I can collect some of my favorites. It is not really fun for me. But she loves it and has some great pins. And she is a fair trader. I have a lot of pins to give her. I have given her pins in the past, so she has more to trade with. I still have too many pins and I am slowly paring down my collection. I have approximately 1000-1200 pins of different types and I want to cut my collection down to just a couple of my favorite characters. So my friend is going to get the majority of the collection and have a blast trading them or keeping what she likes for her collection!

I used to really be into collecting pins, but have lost interest in it and I am happy that my friend has a love for it, so I know who to give them to.

Now I hear they are trying to do the same with Vinylmation. Since you don't know which one you are going to get when you buy one, they want to set up Vinylmation trading soon. A CM was telling me they hoped that it would be as big as pins, though I don't think it will.

I still will always buy a few pins each trip to commemorate our trip. When we go to WDW in a few weeks I will buy Flower and Garden Show pins as well as a few others. But I am just not into pins as much as I used to be. It's a good thing, it saves a LOT of money! ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!

Whazzup
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Whazzup » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Princess Susi wrote: I still will always buy a few pins each trip to commemorate our trip. When we go to WDW in a few weeks I will buy Flower and Garden Show pins as well as a few others. But I am just not into pins as much as I used to be. It's a good thing, it saves a LOT of money! ;)
Susi - when are you going to WDW? We'll be there May 5-11. It would be fun to run into you (not literally, of course) in one of the parks and say howdy. However, if you'd rather avoid being run into, that's okay too.

wicked
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by wicked » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:38 pm

Princess Susi wrote:I like to wear my favorite pins on my lanyard. I do not trade and I know many others who do the same as I do. We just like to have some of our favorite pins on our lanyards. Not everyone wearing a lanyard with pins, trades. I collect my faves. My pins are very special and usually very HTF and one of a kinds. Usually when people see the pins on my lanyard, they KNOW they are not tradable pins, they are my keepers. They can tell by how rare or LE the pin is.

So, don't be offended when I say I don't trade pins if you see my lanyard and ask me to trade. Many of us just love our pins and like to wear some of them.

And if I ever were to trade, which I do infrequently, I bring traders in a little plastic bag and trade ONLY with CMs, never with other pin traders. I have had enough experience in the past with Pin Nazi's to ever want to trade with them again. Not to mention all the worry about fake pins and the other stuff that goes with collecting a certain item. You have to be on the ball all the time to know the worth and if it is real, etc...etc... and I just don't want to be that involved with pins anymore.

I also always carry a bag of pins with me and give them away to kids.

I have a great friend, (you know who you are!) who trades and gets me some special pins in my favorite category. She loves pin trading and has a lot of fun doing it, so she gets the fun of trading and I can collect some of my favorites. It is not really fun for me. But she loves it and has some great pins. And she is a fair trader. I have a lot of pins to give her. I have given her pins in the past, so she has more to trade with. I still have too many pins and I am slowly paring down my collection. I have approximately 1000-1200 pins of different types and I want to cut my collection down to just a couple of my favorite characters. So my friend is going to get the majority of the collection and have a blast trading them or keeping what she likes for her collection!

I used to really be into collecting pins, but have lost interest in it and I am happy that my friend has a love for it, so I know who to give them to.

Now I hear they are trying to do the same with Vinylmation. Since you don't know which one you are going to get when you buy one, they want to set up Vinylmation trading soon. A CM was telling me they hoped that it would be as big as pins, though I don't think it will.

I still will always buy a few pins each trip to commemorate our trip. When we go to WDW in a few weeks I will buy Flower and Garden Show pins as well as a few others. But I am just not into pins as much as I used to be. It's a good thing, it saves a LOT of money! ;)

:) I want you pins lol...that's cool you got your friend into it? I got a lot of my friends into it when I worked there...it is a very expensive hobby though....

Trips to WDW- 93,97

Princess Susi
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Princess Susi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:13 am

wicked wrote: :) I want you pins lol...that's cool you got your friend into it? I got a lot of my friends into it when I worked there...it is a very expensive hobby though....
Oh, I didn't get my friend into it, she was already engrossed herself. She just has more fun at it than I do (at least anymore). I admit I still love certain of the shiny little buggers. They are fun and to have a complete set of all the Beauty and the Beast and Belle pins is great. I think I am missing only or two of those. I collect B&tB pins and pins that have pictures of Walt Disney on them.

I have a ton more collections that are going to be given over to the Queen of Trading and she will love it!

I have a boatload of Little Mermaid, Minnie and Mickey, Goofy, Stitch, Attractions, Park pins and many of the large boxed variety of pin. I have sets that are LE and impossible to find. Those I keep. But too many pins is a weight for me. I just know that someone out there wants a pin that I have more than I want it. And if my buddy trades, maybe somone will find the pin of their dreams! :D:

I would rather have the pin belong to someone who is going to appreciate it more than I do. My pins just sit in boxes downstairs right now.
The Princess

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hugging a Beluga is swell!

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:41 am

I have a Disney pin that Jill and the girls gave to me for Father's Day last year, my pin for the Magic Behind Our Steam Trains tour and my Carolwood Pacific pin (not-Disney).

Hey Susi, do you have any of the train pins?

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."