What would you do?

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

What would you do?

Post by SpaceRanger » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:13 am

Okay, I want to make this as short as I can, trying to not give away too many details, but trying to give you enough to where you'll understand...

I have a second job outside of Disney as a "supervisor" (which isn't techincally an official title, they don't have an official supervisor, but I perform the tasks and duties of one). Tonight there was an attempted robbery at the store, that really shook me up and has me kinda not all here right now... I don't really want to take time off from that job, even tho the guys threatened their friends would be back to hurt us all soon, which is REALLY disturbing.

One of my concerns, is how this is going to affect my performance at Disney. I'm not going to be ignorant and act like it won't have any affect on it, because I am pretty sure it will, at least to some degree. And I really don't feel comfortable with being on a register at least for a couple weeks. I'm debating talking to my managers about this or not. All of my managers and leads are totally cool and understanding and we get along absolutely great, but I'm kinda disapointed in letting myself be this affected by something. I mean, if it had happened while I was working at Disney, I would totally be in the manager's office discussing it with them. I'm really jumpy right now due to serious lack of sleep (usually I have a shift at Disney, then go to work the other job where I can work as many as 12+ hours at once), plus the events of tonight. So I'm wondering if I should at least give management a heads up about this. I don't wanna take any time off, and who knows, I may be fine doing whatever task I'm told to do at Disney, but on the other hand, I could also be not okay.

I know it's hard for you guys without knowing all details and all, but since you guys are at least familiar with Disneyland management and how things run at Disney, I figured you all could give me better advice than anyone else.

God must love stupid people. He made so many of them.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:09 am

I think the key to your answer is in this statement:
All of my managers and leads are totally cool and understanding and we get along absolutely great, but I'm kinda disapointed in letting myself be this affected by something.
If your managers are indeed totally cool and understanding, they'll understand why you're feeling spooky right now. I know my managers have gone out of their way to reassign folks when something from Outside threatens to affect the show -- any good manager would.

Taking the down side for a moment, giving your management a heads up in advance can help prevent misunderstanding later. Knowing what happened to you will help them understand what's going on if some kid sneaks up behind you with a water pistol and you go postal on him.

One thing I like about working for the Mouse is that it allows me to leave most of the Outside stuff outside. Sometimes, that's not possible, and I figure it's my job to do everything I can to keep it outside. One of the things that's possible is to ask your managers for support.

Go ahead and talk to them. Let them know that part of your motivation is the preservation of Good Show. If they belong at Disney, they'll want to help.

Zazu

SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SpaceRanger » Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:38 am

Thanks Zazu... I think I will try to talk to my managers tomorrow, as long as one of the two that I'd prefer to talk to are there. If not, there are two leads that are totally awsome that helped me through a really traumatizing experience I had shortly after I first started working there, and I can fill them in breifly and have them leave a note for the manager I want.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do about working other locations tho... I'm scheduled other locations quite a bit lately, I'm going to try to not pick up many shifts because I don't think that would be fair, but if I'm already scheduled to work a certain location, should I tell that management too?

Yea, you'd think after working there 2 years, I'd have this figured out... :roll:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:44 am

Thanks Zazu... I think I will try to talk to my managers tomorrow...
It's nearly always a good idea to follow my advice. :roll:

I'm just trying to figure out what to do about working other locations tho... I'm scheduled other locations quite a bit lately ... should I tell that management too?
I would. I know the basic principle is, "Ask forgiveness, not permission," but any good manager will appreciate advance warning of potential challenges. Even the most unsympathetic manager may have had a similar experience. It's not that uncommon in real world retail, alas.

Zazu

SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SpaceRanger » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:32 pm

Thanks again Zazu... I told my managers at my normal location, it wasn't as difficult as I thought, lol, and they were incredibly understanding! I didn't get to talk to either of the two managers I wanted to, but the one I did talk to was still really good about it. Unfortunately, I may have to talk to them again... tonight I was at a carnival with my family, and I totally spazzed out when I saw some guy reach into his pocket, just to get his wallet... cuz we have a strange guy coming into the store for the past two days, he basically acts strange, then keeps implying we're gonna get shot....

Ya know, after this week, I'm starting to love my job at Disney more than ever. lol

Dante101
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Dante101 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:02 pm

SpaceRanger wrote:we have a strange guy coming into the store for the past two days, he basically acts strange, then keeps implying we're gonna get shot....
If I were you, I'd quit that 2nd job and get another 2nd job somewhere else. Even if they don't keep their promise and "hurt" you guys, being nervous about it is almost as bad. You said you've freaked out at the fair, and you've been losing sleep. Is it worth it? Go get another moonlighting job...

SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SpaceRanger » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:52 am

Thanks Dante... I did end up quitting. I was going to try not too, but my life got threatened again today, and the manager was too busy to hear about it, said he didn't care, and until they had me at gunpoint and someone else was bleeding on the floor, not to bother him again... :roll:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:54 pm

SpaceRanger wrote:I did end up quitting. ... my life got threatened again today, and the manager was too busy to hear about it....
Damn howdy! Any boss that said that to me, I'd have been out of there before the telephone hit the floor! Good move getting out alive!

There has to be somewhere else in town to work where the boss isn't pathologically disinterested in the life and welfare of his staff.

... and even if there ain't....

Zazu

SpaceRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by SpaceRanger » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:57 am

Yea... I ain't concerned really about getting another job anytime quick. Disney is enough to handle some days :wink: Especially when you have stupid leads who make you go on register even after you've explained to them that you've talked to management who said it's okay for you not to go on register, to just let the leads know, and the lead decides that his decission is higher than management's, so sticks you on there anyway... then gets upset when you flip out when a little 8 year old kid dressed as a gangster with a fake gun comes up to your window. :roll:

PoohBunniesHutch
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by PoohBunniesHutch » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:13 pm

There is a victim assistance fund in the state of CA that provides monetary relief for those victim of violent crime. As a victim, the police should have notified you of it and most certainly your former employer and again, the staff at Disneyland.

You should be getting help, psychologically, for the trauma you have suffered and indeed, it was a trauma. Physical trauma is not the only recognized workplace injury.

If you cannot get help from the VAF, then file a work comp claim against your former employer and get the counseling you need to deal with this trauma against you. If the counselor doesn't think working is a good idea right now, it will pay for most of your lost wages.

You have rights and when an employee has truly been injured, there is no shame in asserting those rights...