Mistaken guest genders. . .

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
TheManator
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Mistaken guest genders. . .

Post by TheManator » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:32 am

Well, when I used to grow my hair out...as I did for many years, I always got mistaken for a female at work. Now, my wife won't dare let me grow my hair pass my ears.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:42 am

Back in the 60s and 70s, when long hair on both genders was popular, there was a running gag that if you wanted to tell he from she from the back, to check the heels on their shoes--guys wore high thick heels, like platform soles. One of my uncles has a pronounced potbelly, and one time he told how a kid asked him if he was pregnant. My uncle said no, and the kid said, "Oh, yeah, that's right, men don't have babies." I've screwed up a few guest genders, and sometimes it would be from somehow flashing back to my jr./sr. high school days--long hair = boys, unless it was really long. And more than once I've screwed up on the gender of black kids because of those beaded cornrows! Would parents PLEASE dress their kids in gender-specific clothes and hairstyles? I mean, why would they go around letting their kids be gender-neutral? That is SO 80s! Anybody remember that flash-in-the-pan unisex look? Gee, I wonder why that look didn't last--right along with the military look!

Fantasmic_Freak
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Fantasmic_Freak » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:19 pm

Oh Oh, my SGT trick! i asked this guy to pull down on his black safety restraint, and I asked as he looked like a she.. well he wasnt! And i didnt notice till load told me, hey, dude, that was a guy, Oh! :D: Both said, yah haircut time dude.. :eek:

Current CM- Scenic Fabrication Artisan

Former Attr CM, DCA Boom Boom Room, Grizzly, Stinger, its gone!.

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:44 pm

Grumpy wrote:I was working at Splash photo (the past few nights, actually), and I had a guest that came up to me, wanting to purchase HER (thought it was a HIM) picture. . .
I think I still have that photo somewhere... :D:

Fantasmic_Freak
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Fantasmic_Freak » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:00 pm

TheManator wrote: there is a little boy in there named Sunshine.
At elast when you sing, you are my Sunshine.. he thinks its his song. Soory! couldnt resist! Oh i did it 3 times this weekend, stupid long hair guys and short hair girls! but they were all looking away from me, not twords me. .. :D: soo i get some credit. Off to work from 6 to 10:30 tonight!

Current CM- Scenic Fabrication Artisan

Former Attr CM, DCA Boom Boom Room, Grizzly, Stinger, its gone!.

Belle Is A Princess To Me
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Belle Is A Princess To Me » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:57 pm

Dude, what is it with Splash Mountain Photo and this happening? I was working Owl Photo one day, I had a mother come up with her child wanting to purchase their picture. I was getting into a conversation with them, asking how the day was and if there were having some kind of "girl's day". Then the mother smiled and said "this is my son"

I wanted to die :eek:

IRSmart1
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by IRSmart1 » Mon May 01, 2006 3:30 am

I absolutely can't stand it when there is no way tell if the child is a boy or a girl. Not only are you staring at them for a little longer but you feel pretty stupid when you guess wrong. There is also nothing like a parent who is angry because you called their child the wrong sex. :eek:

"Where did I park? You work here and you don't know where I parked?!"
"Nope, sorry. I forgot to memorize all 15,000 cars' spots as they drove in today." :p:

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

IRSmart1 wrote:I absolutely can't stand it when there is no way tell if the child is a boy or a girl. Not only are you staring at them for a little longer but you feel pretty stupid when you guess wrong. There is also nothing like a parent who is angry because you called their child the wrong sex. :eek:
Not from a theme park, but a great mistaken-gender story:
Waiter Rant April 4 2005.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon May 01, 2006 4:17 pm

BRWombat wrote:Not from a theme park, but a great mistaken-gender story:
Waiter Rant April 4 2005.
Must have been a Marine.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Taryn
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Taryn » Tue May 02, 2006 2:55 am

So yeah, another non-theme park story... I work at a theater, and I was working concessions this one day. An old woman and a very pretty little girl, with softly curling hair hanging around her shoulders, came up to my till. The old woman ordered our combo that comes with two drinks, and she told me what she wanted. Then, I looked down at the little girl and said something along the lines of "And what can I get for you, Princess?" when she curled her nose in disgust- and her grandma announced that "she" was a boy! I was mortified, but tried to brush it off with a sheepish grin and an apology. I'm sorry, but if you don't want your kid to be mistaken for a girl, don't grow his hair out like one...

Mmm, Protein Spill....