Take this job and shove it!

This is the place to tell us about the stupid things fellow employees can do.
KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Take this job and shove it!

Post by KingsIslander » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:06 pm

I just realized, I never talked about when I quit for the season last year! (As long as you turn in a notice, quitting doesn't affect rehire status negatively)

Things that made me quit:
  • Being treated unfairly by supervisors (I was always put on register, even though we're supposed to rotate) "Well, maybe you shouldn't be so good at your job."
  • Being threatened with a writeup because I threw out hot dogs that had been sitting out so long that they turned green. "It doesn't matter if they're green, you can serve them anyway."
  • Getting written up for attendance points because they said I no call/no showed on a day where I worked an 8 hour shift. (I worked at my normal location and not the one I was scheduled at- the one I was scheduled at is supposed to call and get me, but they just said I never showed up instead. Not my fault.)
  • Basically being forced to sign said writeup even though you aren't required to sign it. (Signing it admits guilt, if you don't sign it, you'll be called down to a full-time manager's office to be asked about why you won't sign) "I don't care if you did it or not, if you don't sign, I'm going to have you written up for insubordination."
  • Being treated like a supervisor (having to train people, deal with upset guests, etc.) when I wasn't one
  • Being told only hand out one cup of free water per guest, then being threatened with a writeup because a guest got upset with me for only giving them the correct number of cups for their party, and I said I couldn't.
Then came the straw that broke the camel's back. I walked into my stand and found out that one of my coworkers had been promoted. Which one was it? The one who always gets perfect registers? The one who steals food on a regular basis?

No, it's the one who is the most airheaded person I've ever met. Not only did she consistently forget how to do the most basic aspects of her job (forgetting how to LOG IN TO A REGISTER, which involves simply swiping your ID in the credit card slot), but she also had no clue how to handle money or guests. Why had she been promoted? "Well, it was between you and her, but we decided you were too good at being an associate to be an assistant team leader." :morons: (in other words, why pay me more when I do far more than my share of the work already?)

I'm really glad I'm not going to return to Food this year. I think I'd have a mental breakdown. :mad:

Sorry if this was particularly rant-ish, I really needed to get it off my chest.

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Take this job and shove it!

Post by avengador1 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:00 pm

No, it's the one who is the most airheaded person I've ever met. Not only did she consistently forget how to do the most basic aspects of her job (forgetting how to LOG IN TO A REGISTER, which involves simply swiping your ID in the credit card slot), but she also had no clue how to handle money or guests. Why had she been promoted? "Well, it was between you and her, but we decided you were too good at being an associate to be an assistant team leader."
"She" got promoted because she probably flirted and or slept with the supervisor. ;)

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by KingsIslander » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:03 pm

avengador1 wrote:"She" got promoted because she probably flirted and or slept with the supervisor. ;)
I doubt it, she was the type who nobody would really want to sleep with. Knowing her, "insert tab A into slot B" would have been FAR too complicated for her. :rolleyes:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:14 pm

KingsIslander wrote:Sorry if this was particularly rant-ish, I really needed to get it off my chest.
Not to worry, this is one of the major reasons this board exists. Rant away!

Zazu

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:49 pm

avengador1 wrote:"She" got promoted because she probably flirted and or slept with the supervisor. ;)
Before you say something like that again, take a moment to consider: If KingIslander's incompetent coworker had been a man, would you have said, "He probably flirted and or slept with the supervisor"?

Because what you said there is straight up sexist.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Amphigorey wrote:Before you say something like that again, take a moment to consider: If KingIslander's incompetent coworker had been a man, would you have said, "He probably flirted and or slept with the supervisor"?

That isn't entirely correct because everyone, Male or Female, asks that question when someone entirely worthless gets a promotion over people who do a honest days work.

Inside the parks I've watched it for myself while working for them. I know exactly how my then lead got her job and exactly who she slept with to get it plus how little work she really did. The whole of park operations knew it, she knew it and didn't care cause she got exactly what she wanted.

Most theme parks are one big (Inside breeding) family, you know everyone Else's business... like it or not.

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by KingsIslander » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Amphigorey wrote:Before you say something like that again, take a moment to consider: If KingIslander's incompetent coworker had been a man, would you have said, "He probably flirted and or slept with the supervisor"?

Considering the preferences of many members of management, I'd actually be more likely to suspect some fornication going on if it was a man. :D:

scpergj
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by scpergj » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:57 pm

The version that we use where I work is, while no less politically correct, definitely more gender - neutral...

Someone must have naked picture of someone!! :p:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Darksin wrote:That isn't entirely correct because everyone, Male or Female, asks that question when someone entirely worthless gets a promotion over people who do a honest days work.
scpergj wrote:Someone must have naked picture of someone!! :p:
A manager I worked with and I were discussing how another employee had gotten a completely undeserved promotion. I said kiddingly that he must have Polaroids. The manager replied rather heatedly, "Don't ever say that again!"

By the look on his face I could only assume that somewhere in his past, there were some Polaroids he never wanted to see the light of day.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:24 pm

There was a gal at Knott's who really did sleep with a supervisor. Had three kids with him, too! I think he dumped his wife for her, in fact! Sheesh! And yes, she was the type that would do that before she did it.