I know way to much...

This is a general discussion. If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.
GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: I know way to much...

Post by GaTechGal » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:23 am

mapo wrote:Such a shame ... it is a Cast benefit and actually directly benefits the Company. The more Cast experience the park as a Guest...the more empathetic they are to the paying guest AND more knowledgeable about the park amenities. Empathy and knowledge work to the benefit of the paying guest...and builds a stronger Cast Member.
That is a really profound observation. :thumbsup: MOST companies should do that if possible.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:08 pm

As far as using the bands for entry to your room, yes, that is already done. Starwood hotels has taken it a step further... at their Aloft brand hotels they are rolling out a plan that will go to all the other brands as well, where you can now check in on your smartphone, and your smartphone acts as your key. I LOVE that plan. I would love to see that for admission...

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:23 am

Big Wallaby wrote:As far as using the bands for entry to your room, yes, that is already done. Starwood hotels has taken it a step further... at their Aloft brand hotels they are rolling out a plan that will go to all the other brands as well, where you can now check in on your smartphone, and your smartphone acts as your key. I LOVE that plan. I would love to see that for admission...
I believe the vendor we use for our door locks is working on a similar mobile app. The biggest issue, at the moment, is the RFID/NFC hardware is built into a lot of Android devices, but Apple hasn't started using it yet.

(With that in mind, I'm not sure why Disney decided to go with Apple devices with a 3rd party "Sled" for all of the new MyMagic+ applications in the park, rather than going with an Android based system.)

EpcotFan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EpcotFan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:12 am

hhsrat wrote:
I believe the vendor we use for our door locks is working on a similar mobile app. The biggest issue, at the moment, is the RFID/NFC hardware is built into a lot of Android devices, but Apple hasn't started using it yet.

(With that in mind, I'm not sure why Disney decided to go with Apple devices with a 3rd party "Sled" for all of the new MyMagic+ applications in the park, rather than going with an Android based system.)
Perhaps because Steve Jobs was one of Disney's largest shareholders back at the time the platform decisions would have been made?

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:49 pm

hhsrat wrote:
Big Wallaby wrote:As far as using the bands for entry to your room, yes, that is already done. Starwood hotels has taken it a step further... at their Aloft brand hotels they are rolling out a plan that will go to all the other brands as well, where you can now check in on your smartphone, and your smartphone acts as your key. I LOVE that plan. I would love to see that for admission...
And after doing a little more research, I'm going to revise my statement above. "I now know that the vendor Disney uses for the door locks has a mobile app that will do just that"

That said, Disney has made many customizations and security enhancements to the system, and I don't know if they'll ever enable the phone as a key stuff.