More of a general ?, really, for the Kings Islanders...

All other Theme Park Employees post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Theme Park discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Double T
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

More of a general ?, really, for the Kings Islanders...

Post by Double T » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Hey folks,

A few months ago, I took my first trip to Kings Island in approx. 13 years. You can really tell Cedar Faire took over, now there are almost overlapping roller coasters.

Anyway.

What I was wondering, and none of the staff I talked to could give me an answer... when did the Racers stop going backward?

Apologies for the randomness, just curious, and I know there are some folks from that park that post here.

T

"You know Explorers...I have people ask me all the time how these docks have stayed standing so strong for close to 50 years, and I tell them to just take a look..."
"They're covered with mussels."

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Re: More of a general ?, really, for the Kings Islanders...

Post by KingsIslander » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:07 pm

2007. The manufacturer of the trains no longer says they can be run backwards, and in Ohio the park has to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Also, they can run just one side now when it's not busy.

And none of the staff really knows anything about the park besides the closest restroom... training consists of "don't cuss at the guests, please" pretty much. And what's wrong with CF? Any company that would give you attendance points because you "didn't show up" on a day that you can show them in the system you showed up for is clearly a wonderful company.

Yes, I quit today, why do you ask? :)

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

CBeilby
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CBeilby » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:21 pm

Congratulations on leaving the hell that is working for Cedar Fair. Maybe, as Matt Ouimet starts to leave his mark on the company, things may change, but as of right now, it sounds like the old stupidity that us former KBF employees remember.

For Randy, For Bonny, For Chris...

Double T
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Double T » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Thanks for the heads up. So you are telling me that it has been running backwards for years, but then the company said it's not supposed to, so they stopped?

And congrats on no longer being treated like crap! :)

T

"You know Explorers...I have people ask me all the time how these docks have stayed standing so strong for close to 50 years, and I tell them to just take a look..."
"They're covered with mussels."

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:42 pm

Just heard on the radio that CF plans to sell the local park. Not sure if this is good or bad news.

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:31 pm

PatchOBlack wrote:Just heard on the radio that CF plans to sell the local park. Not sure if this is good or bad news.
They are planning to sell and I guess final approval is up to the city of Santa Clara. It has something to do with the SF 49ers football team wanting a fancy new stadium.
I'm with you Patch, not sure if it's good or bad news.

svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by svickersart » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:24 pm

PatchOBlack wrote:Just heard on the radio that CF plans to sell the local park. Not sure if this is good or bad news.
Its been in the news, 49er owners and real estate group that owns the property next door to the park are buying for the bargain price of 70 million. just waiting for city of santa clara to approve the sale since they own the property under the park and lease it to CF for 5 mill a year. niners want a new stadium and CF sued to block, say it will hurt their parking and attendence with football next door, and it might. park was lowest performer in the company also.

Might be good if the new owners keep the park up and improve on it, or maybe they will just tear it down for the space, I'm sure the city will have something to say about it though, it generates revenue above the 5 mill per year with sales tax and the such. I had family who lived just a few miles away (you could see the 3 armed ferris wheel thing from my cousins upstairs window) we watched the park being built and I spent many a summer day there as a kid (yes I'm that old) so I hope they leave it and make it better. maybe a football or overall pro sports theme (49ers, SJ sharks, SF Giants, GS Warriors) (new owners can contact me at [email protected] for ideas) make it a major bay area park.

I havent been in a few years and keep trying to get back, going to have to make sure and make a trip next year.

Steve

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Well, PGA wasn't *too* horrible prior to CF takeover. I got the opportunity to visit it before the CF takeover (by a few years, actually). But it was a small park, and they looked really maxx'd out on real estate. There wasn't a big attraction there, but they had just opened a waterpark INSIDE the themepark that was free to visit, which I thought was really cool.

CF seems to be moving all the coasters they plan on keeping to other parks (Invertigo went to Dorney Park, etc). I do wonder of the fate of Demon and "Flight Deck" as those two were pretty neat. Demon was neat as it was one of two custom installations of that coaster and Flight Deck was/is NorCal's longest inverted coaster, and its not a Batman clone. Other coasters like Vortex aren't very good, but Vortex is important in the fact it was B&M's second roller coaster built, after Iron Wolf (now known as Apocalypse @ Six Flags America).

PGA had some really kick butt and unique flat rides, too. I hope they live to see another day. There was some bizarre but fun ones made by Anton Schwarzkopf there.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:59 pm

I hope the double-decker carousel surives. It was in the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest carousel.
I visited the park in the early 90's. We stayed at the Marriot (who originally built the park) hotel that was right outside the park and could see the park from our room. It was a nice park though we had the misfortune of attending during Spring Break. Packed to the gills!

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:56 am

CBeilby wrote:Congratulations on leaving the hell that is working for Cedar Fair. Maybe, as Matt Ouimet starts to leave his mark on the company, things may change, but as of right now, it sounds like the old stupidity that us former KBF employees remember.
Ouimet has made things worse by visiting, actually. Fast Lane ($50 unlimited front of the line pass) was "his" idea when he visited. Also, I don't think he realizes that you're not going to get good guest service out of underpaid teenagers.

Better than Kinzel, though.

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations