I don't wanna be stupid...

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
gmw111
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

I don't wanna be stupid...

Post by gmw111 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:59 am

but sometimes I'm afraid I might be.

Can we talk about tipping in the World? I've scoured the internet and read various opinions on when to tip and there are so many different perspectives. I decided the ones I care about the most are those of the people who work there. So I'm posting this here.

Tipping at a restaurant is a no-brainer for me. I typically tip between 18% and 22% based on service. If bell services delivers luggage to my room, I tip then. Beyond that- I get panicked that I'm missing a time when I should be tipping or tipping inappropriately. I'd love your thoughts.

Housekeeping? What if I've kept the do-not-disturb sign on my door every day (which is my habit)?

Special events like a fireworks cruise? (This one almost got me. We booked the Grand 1 for a family reunion and split the cost among us. We didn't order food or any items that would automatically alert me to the need to tip. Halfway through the cruise, I started thinking about what a great job the captain was doing and it occurred to me we should tip. Did a quick smartphone search and realized we absolutely should; we scrambled and managed to put together a good tip among us but it was another time that I was panicked that I'd almost been completely offensive.) What about pirates and pals fireworks cruises? Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert party (which is pre-paid)?

Asking the concierge a question?

When the hotel calls me a cab?

Picking up items myself from bell services that have been left for me (ie stroller rentals)?

Any other times?

Thanks for your input!!

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: I don't wanna be stupid...

Post by Zazu » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:00 am

gmw111 wrote:but sometimes I'm afraid I might be.
That's already a big improvement over the average guest!
Can we talk about tipping in the World? ...

Tipping at a restaurant is a no-brainer for me. I typically tip between 18% and 22% based on service. If bell services delivers luggage to my room, I tip then. Beyond that- I get panicked that I'm missing a time when I should be tipping or tipping inappropriately. ...

Housekeeping? What if I've kept the do-not-disturb sign on my door every day (which is my habit)?
Housekeeping (or Mousekeeping as it's sometimes called) is not a tipped position, despit it being commonly done. The big challenge is that you may not be tipping the individual you want, as your room could be assigned to someone different each time. If you feel the urge, put the tip in an envelope, and hand it to your housekeeper personally. If you hang a DND sign, there's no housekeeping service, and no reason to tip at all.
Special events like a fireworks cruise? ... What about pirates and pals fireworks cruises? Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert party (which is pre-paid)?
Judgement calls. If the boat pilot has greatly exceeded my expectations (and I know what to expect), I might. Meal events like the TTDP, party for the senses, or pre-paid dinners, generally not. While servers normally work for sub-minimum wage and need tips, these events work by banquet rules, and your servers are being well paid already.

All of these are also officially non-tipped positions, and it's possible to cause trouble for them by tipping, so be very discrete if you feel you must.
Never, and I say that as a concierge. Answering questions, booking dining, selling tickets, etc., are what we're paid (better than most) to do. This is a non-tipped position, and if we're seen accepting one, could get into trouble if we don't surrender the tip to supervision.
No. Cabs are on standby at resorts, so they don't have to do more than wave their hand to bring one.

<insert gratuitous remark about valets being non-Disney, non-union scabs here>
Picking up items myself from bell services that have been left for me (ie stroller rentals)?
Yes. Bell services are tipped positions, so it's appropriate to tip them whenever they do something for you.
Any other times?
If you valet park, tip the valet. I only tip on pick-up, not on drop-off, as I can't know until then how fast they work (or whether it's raining when I return). Know that valets pool their tips and split them up by hours worked, so it's not as direct a compensation as you might wish.

Finally, do NOT offer a tip in return for better seating, better service, or access to sold-out venues. Accepting a tip in such situations is cause for termination.

If you really feel the need to give special thanks to non-tipped cast, print up a bunch of business cards that say "Thank you from the Zazu Family." These are rare, and generally highly valued. Do not give gifts of food or bottles of bubbles, as we don't dare eat such food and the bubble bottles invariably leak.

For really exceptional service, there is also the "What Would Walt Do" program, offering pins like this: :wwwd:

Zazu

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:46 am

sounds like doing disney by vegas rules.
because vegas people always have thier hand out for money. we wish vegas people were disney people.

Corey

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:42 pm

gmw111 wrote:but sometimes I'm afraid I might be.
Asking before you go is a great way to NOT be a stupid guest.

Special events like a fireworks cruise? (This one almost got me. We booked the Grand 1 for a family reunion and split the cost among us. We didn't order food or any items that would automatically alert me to the need to tip. Halfway through the cruise, I started thinking about what a great job the captain was doing and it occurred to me we should tip. Did a quick smartphone search and realized we absolutely should; we scrambled and managed to put together a good tip among us but it was another time that I was panicked that I'd almost been completely offensive.) What about pirates and pals fireworks cruises? Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert party (which is pre-paid)?

Any other times?

Thanks for your input!!
I've never tipped a housekeeper in a hotel, unless for some reason I've made a large mess. (I do tip the stateroom attendants on cruise ships, but they're cleaning my room twice a day, and they make an effort to introduce themselves, rather than just being someone that comes while I'm out)

If you do a private fireworks cruise, tipping your captain is at your discretion. For the Pirate/Pals voyage, you really don't interact with your captain at all, and there's no reason to tip. (a "thank you" as you exit the boat is appropriate ... I'd equate this to being on a bus ... you wouldn't tip the bus driver, but saying thank you after a safe voyage is appreciated)

There's not really anyone TO tip for the Tommorowland Terrace Dessert party. As I remember, it's basically a dessert buffet. However, I guess if there's someone that gets you drinks or something, a small tip might be appropriate.

WDW Concierge cast members aren't allowed to accept tips. Similarly, although you may approach the bell desk or valet desk to have a cab called, tipping for that is not necessary.

The views and opinions expressed in this post do not represent those of the Walt Disney Company. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Caution: The moving rubber line is travelling at the same speed as you.

gmw111
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by gmw111 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:10 am

Thanks!! Extremely helpful information here. I worked for tips once as a waitress in a coffee shop/bookstore aimed at actors. Needless to say, I know the pain of needing tips and not getting them. I never want to do that to someone else. Love the guidance!!

adisneydreamer
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by adisneydreamer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:33 am

Thanks for the great information.
Last edited by hhsrat on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed font tags that aren't working on new board software

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:04 am

I used to tip waitresses.
but now they are getting too hard to sneak up on.

Corey

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:54 am

drcorey wrote:I used to tip waitresses.
but now they are getting too hard to sneak up on.
That ... plus the restraining order....

Zazu

Mouseshooter
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Mouseshooter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:40 am

As a photographer at WDW, we're frequently offered tips. We are a non-tip position, and aren't permitted to accept tips. Our policy is to refuse (politely), and then tell the guest that the tip will go to Disney's. Conservation Fund.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:45 am

Mouseshooter wrote:As a photographer at WDW, we're frequently offered tips. We are a non-tip position, and aren't permitted to accept tips. Our policy is to refuse (politely), and then tell the guest that the tip will go to Disney's. Conservation Fund.
When mrs. ktulu and I honeymooned at WDW, we had a photography session around the MK as part of our package. I went to tip him, and he said he had to refuse three times, so he said 'no no no' and then took it. This was before photopass. Sadly, it's now hit and miss on who you get taking pics. Sometimes they are great, other times you probably would have had better luck getting Michael J. Fox to take the pic. I understand when it is busy and they have a line, but when they are standing there all alone and the pic is still out of focus and framed poorly.

Oh, I see you're new, so welcome! Perhaps our welcoming crews will come by to say hi!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."