I don't wanna be stupid...

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: I don't wanna be stupid...

Post by hhsrat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:39 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:a few months ago I was cleaning out some storage boxes and came across some SCSI boards and an old ZIP and JAZ drive!
I've got a zip drive sitting on my desk at work. Makes a wonderful paperweight. And conversation piece.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:08 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:
hobie16 wrote:
GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:I remember the first "computer" I worked with was about half the size of a refrigerator, and to program it, we had to use 8 level teletype paper tape. The computer had a whopping 128k memory!!

a few months ago I was cleaning out some storage boxes and came across some SCSI boards and an old ZIP and JAZ drive!
I remember those. I just found a bunch of SCSI cables that I probably paid $25 each for.

Ha! I still have them too. and a whole bunch of SCSI terminators.

(and an old winsta 50Gb external HDD)
Harumph! You kids. I still have boxes of vacuum tube sockets and other components for breadboarding ... on a real board as used for cutting bread! (Smells faintly of pumpernickel.) :old:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:20 pm

Zazu wrote:Harumph! You kids. I still have boxes of vacuum tube sockets and other components for breadboarding ... on a real board as used for cutting bread! (Smells faintly of pumpernickel.) :old:
Bring back Heathkit. Again.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:37 pm

ha! I Remember those catalogs!

..build your own STEREO!!!!

and of course

at radioshack who could forget the tandy TRS80 supercomputer!!!

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:46 am

I loved the ole commador 64. We would spend hours typing in the code for a game and then playing it for a few minutes and going outside. Ya, that was worth it.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:44 am

Let's hear it for the Timex Sinclair 1000!

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:29 pm

My family's first computer when I was growing up? Commodore PET. :)

Ianto Jones
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ianto Jones » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:21 am

BRWombat wrote:I first taught myself BASIC programming on a TRS-80 with 4 KB of RAM. My dad's first generation IBM PC had 128 KB onboard. A decade later, my first hard drive stored a whopping 120 MB.

Now I have a micro SD card in my phone, the size of a fingernail, which stores 64 GB, over 500 times what that clunky hard drive held. Mind boggling.

Commodore VIC 20, followed by a Commodore 64.
At six, I could type more than the VIC could remember, and my first word processing software was 'SpeedScript' -- which I typed in myself, from the pages of "Compute!" Magazine... (And I'm not yet forty...) Good memories. I still miss my buddy, SAM!
(I said I was in Special Ed, and young for my age. That doesn't mean I couldn't learn BASIC - BASIC was *very* well-behaved, and I preferred it to TurboPascal. Never quite got ahead of Assembly, though...System numbers were just rote memorization, for me...)
/end memory lane detour

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:10 am

I still have fond memories of needing help to lift a 5K drum memory out of a truck. And when was the last time you saw 8-inch floppies on sale?

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:24 pm

As long as we are talking computers, I'm sure most of you are aware that Hotmail has sprung an unpleasant surprise on its users--they now require that you obtain and use a four digit "security code" in order to access your account. I tried it with three different pass codes they gave me, and all failed. I'm working on moving my contacts--and hopefully my emails that probably number close to 100 by now--over to my Yahoo account. And I'm sure everyone knows just how easy it is to contact Hotmail to complain. *sarcasm*

If anyone can tell me how to work around this mess and access my emails once again, I'd really appreciate it.