"Here stand there, I'll take the picture"

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Re: "Here stand there, I'll take the picture"

Post by delsdad » Wed May 11, 2011 11:52 am

Zazu wrote:At one very small theatre, a patron started taking flash photos during the opening song. After that piece, instead of proceeding to the next scene, the troupe left the stage, the owner came out, and informed the guest that their camera was about to leave the theatre, and they could go with it if they wanted to see it ever again. :D:

Guest got stupid. Guest got stubborn. Host apologized to the audience, and explained that it might take a few minutes for the police to arrive, then took out his cell phone and dialed three digits.

Not willing to wait, several large members of the audience "assisted" the guest out into the street, kicking and screaming (I think they were kicking and he was screaming). Word has it that the camera didn't quite fit through the door, and was no longer functional -- just like the SG's brain. :tossout:

I like little theatre in a tight-knit community like that!
LIKE!

Patti LuPone had the right idea ! http://youtu.be/WruzPfJ9Rys

aixia
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by aixia » Wed May 11, 2011 2:58 pm

delsdad wrote: More than once when I worked FOH at Cats, we confiscated cameras during the show. We would run the film to a one hour place across the street, and remove the show photos before returning the camera and non show photos. Of course the Sg had to pay for the photofinishing.
This is pretty much what I do when I have to confiscate film, but I don't do it during the performance. No way to get it there and back during the show. I get a sick pleasure out of cutting up the negatives to make sure they know that I took the negatives too.

Once, I had a guy with a camera snapping away at the stage before the show. Luckily, this particular show had a minimal set, and the designer wasn't union, so it wasn't the end of the world if someone got a picture of it, just annoying. So I go up to the patron, explain that we don't allow photos, and asked him to delete the images. He replied that it was film, so I let him know I'd have to take the film. Before I could get to the next sentence, in which I tell him that we'll develop the film for him and take out any shots with the set, he literally ran out of the theatre. His party looked at him horrified. I followed, but he was just zipping down the street, dodging people like he'd just stolen something. I didn't bother chasing him, and just let it go. He didn't come back, and his party wasn't causing any trouble, or even looking for him. At intermission, his wife came up and apologized to me, and every couple minutes my assistant and I would notice the guy's head peeking through the outer doors to the street, then ducking away as soon as he saw us. This continued through the entire intermission. We just couldn't stop laughing.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Probably had some risky pics on the same roll. :eek:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Ianto Jones
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Ianto Jones » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:01 pm

This thread begs a question for the two of us.

We are two disabled chronological adults, but both a bit - young for our age.
We also use assistive devices (powerchair, long leg braces, and rollator walker, most often).

We *love* the characters! and treasure any moment we get to spend with them here and there around DL/DCA -- one of my best park memories is of Pluto randomly "pouncing" me, at a bench in DCA, or the time he helped our service dog with his fear of the horses on Main St.
(Pluto was done with his autograph line, and on his way back to Toontown for his kibble, toward the big white picket gate between Mad Hatter and that other big store where they do the "big"/special embroidery? Anyhow, our pup got scared of the horses, and the attendant helping Mickey with his line, called out "Hey, Pluto - come help your cousin!"
Which he *did* - spent several minutes puppy-playing with our pup, kissing his nose, etc! Memories don't *get* more magical than this!)

Anyhow - we are lucky enough to have AP's for the first time this year, and so are very aware that we have more opportunities for park joy than someone who might be on their only trip to the Park.

This means, that unless there is basically no line, we are hesitant to get in line for characters, because the lines get cut off, and someone with no other chance, might not get to meet that character _ever_ again.
(The exception was the Valentine visit when my wife had made fabric hearts for everyone -- *including* the characters, attendants, and PhotoPass photographers -- she went to as many as her health permitted, that visit...)

But we still love them all, and so my wife will sometimes stand out of the way and try to catch a quick photo of someone *between* other guests - just the character, alone, in the instant between the other guests walking up to them.

She isn't taking pics of other Guests, at least not on purpose (tries hard to avoid them!), and it isn't about avoiding lines - it often takes far longer, with many blurry pics of peoples' backs/shoulders, to catch, say, Pooh or Tigger. And our camera is an ancient iTouch, no flash or such.

We do this to leave spots in line for other Guests, not to be weird or creepy.
Are we bothering Cast Members/ PhotoPass people / characters? She is careful to be well behind everyone, and not interfere or slow anyone down.

Separately, she does like playing with the camera, and takes random pictures around the Parks, when she sees something cool - and sometimes there are "crowd shots" in that process.
Almost never could you even make out a face - iTouch at a distance! - but we thought that was okay too (like someone above said, expecting privacy in 'public') -- is *this* considered weird or wrong?

Thanks, guys!

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Back in the days of the Disney Institute I took a class on photography and we went into the Studios and we're told to do a photo essay. I started to do one on children meeting the characters. I took a few and realized that I was being creepy. :biggrin: I truly hadn't considered that photographing unknown children wasn't a great idea. I just always got a huge kick out of the joy the characters brought to others. I decided to pick another topic.

That being said, I see nothing creepy about waiting for the time between guests to get shots. I do a lot of long lens shots to get things like that. As far as crowd shots go, I wouldn't worry about that at all. Everyone gets shots with people they don't know and I can't begin to guess how many people have captured me on film (much to their regret, I'm sure)

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:18 pm

The nice thing about long lenses is, you can be intimate but discrete.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Ianto Jones wrote: (Pluto was done with his autograph line, and on his way back to Toontown for his kibble, toward the big white picket gate between Mad Hatter and that other big store where they do the "big"/special embroidery?
The store on Main Street where Pluto met your pup is ShowCase. Embroidery is a part of ShowCase known as "The Annex."