"Here stand there, I'll take the picture"

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Tinker Bell
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

"Here stand there, I'll take the picture"

Post by Tinker Bell » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 am

So we have a family that have a probably 5 or 6 year old boy who obviously loves Goofy and Donald. However, his parents don't want to do the line which at that moment was about 25 to 30 minutes. Never mind the fact that the little boy wants to meet them, but mom and dad don't care and claim that apparently you are already seeing him and then decide 'here stand over here and I'll take the picture'. They put the kid facing them and click take a picture while Goofy and Donald are meeting other families. They show the picture to the kid who is obviously disappointed and proudly show the others. Then another person with them proudly proclaimed that he feels like they cheated because they have a picture of them and the characters and they didn't do the line. A few points though:

1. It wasn't your moment. Goofy and Donald weren't shaking your hand, meeting you or posing for your picture. They were giving someone else their undying attention because it was their turn. They didn't sign your book or your hat or clap because they saw your birthday button. It was someone else special moment and it's capture in your picture for all eternity.

2. I'm standing right next to your boy because I am taking the picture of the family, so is the photographer. Trust me we are not moving, even if you ask. So not only do you have a picture of someone's else kids, you also have a picture of my, and the photographers butt. Call me stupid but why in the world do you want a picture like that? 'Here is Johnny, this is the attendant's back, the photographer's back and look that head is Goofy and you can't really see well Donald but that's him there in the corner.' Is that really how you wanted your picture to turn out?

3. Another family who did the same said that they can 'photoshop' people out. Sure you can, but my point still stand! It wasn't your special time with Goofy and Donald! They weren't with you and your people, they had their attention to someone else. You can photoshop a picture, but you CAN'T photoshop a moment and that is worth more.

I personally find it creepy that people are fine with taking picture of someone's kids while they are meeting the characters. Sometimes the line hasn't been that long(5 or 10 minutes) and still people just do the same. "Here stand there and I'll take a picture"

BTW, many parents don't like it when you take a picture of their kids. Some can be very vocal about it. Which as a parent I can't say I blame them. I don't know who you are or where is my picture going to end. In this day and age, I trust nobody. We had an incident a while ago where the parent demanded that the other person delete the picture. The parent was so upset my captain ended coming in, before I could even call him, because he heard the fight. It was an ugly incident that could have been avoided if that person would have gone into my (timed by myself) 5 minutes and 28 seconds line. Poor Miss Daisy stood in the corner grabbing the children as the two adults kept on yelling at each other. Only when the Captain threaten to take Miss Daisy out, because it wasn't safe for her, did the two people calm down and the other person delete the picture.

Also parents need to remember that while you are on vacation, you are NEVER in vacation as a parent. When you do a line, short or long, you teach your kids many things, like:

1. Patience - Cato the Elder said that "Patience is the greatest of all virtues." These days is one rare quality and one that needs to be practice more.

2. Tolerance - I'll be the first to say that some parents test the limits of anyone's patience with their many times ridiculous request. However, it is their time and if you do the line, I've got the time. Waiting patiently and standing there while the family in front insists on having their 20 autographs signed, even though they only have 2 kids is a test for anyone. You may not agree. You may think is silly, or you may think it's selfish of them. However you stand there and you teach your kids to respect and remain quiet while others have their time. Trust me it will pay off big time later on.

3. Watch - Perhaps I'm a rare bird but I love to watch people as they come and go. Take it easy and enjoy the little moments. Take the time to plan what you want to do next. See if the kids are hungry or what they would like to do next. It's a chance to slow down and remind yourself you don't have to do it all.

I'm honestly questioning my sanity for thinking that spring break would be nice.

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: "Here stand there, I'll take the picture"

Post by joanna71985 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:43 am

Sigh. That is one thing that drives me crazy from entertainment. I don't see why it's so hard to wait in the line to get your own picture. I do remember one time at AK, when I was doing Evening EMH. I had a family get very upset with a lady who was trying to take a picture from the side, because they didn't want her taking pictures of their kids. Of course, when I asked her to stop, she started giving me attitude back.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:47 am

Tinkerbell, along with your Tolerance I would add Manners. We should treat folks that are ahead of us the way that we would want to be treated and be polite about it. On vacation you don't check your manners. And with Watch I would add, be friendly to the folks waiting in line with you. Ask them where their from and what it's like there, what have they been seeing while at Disney World, tell them what you have done that was a really fun experience that they may not have heard about. It's really a lot of fun to meet folks from other places. And you'd be amazed at how many times you meet folks from the same town as you.

Tinker Bell
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Tinker Bell » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:35 am

GaTechGal wrote:Tinkerbell, along with your Tolerance I would add Manners. We should treat folks that are ahead of us the way that we would want to be treated and be polite about it. On vacation you don't check your manners. And with Watch I would add, be friendly to the folks waiting in line with you. Ask them where their from and what it's like there, what have they been seeing while at Disney World, tell them what you have done that was a really fun experience that they may not have heard about. It's really a lot of fun to meet folks from other places. And you'd be amazed at how many times you meet folks from the same town as you.
I knew I was forgetting one or two! Yes, Manners! God how I wish parents would teach them more often.

During the year of a million dreams celebration I gave a pin to this very polite boy. He stood in front of Pooh with his book in hand and ask "Can you please sign my book?" Pooh was sooooo grateful he didn't want the kid to leave.

His parents were astonished that I was rewarding his kid for something that they thought was common sense. I had to tell them that it was a hard day. In fact his kid had just restored the faith in humanity that I had lost thru the day. Poor Pooh got stepped, poked and jabbed with books all day long. To have at least one person be so nice and polite made me think all was not lost.

I love to talk to people too, especially when I go play at the park and I'm not working.

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:21 pm

GaTechGal wrote:Tinkerbell, along with your Tolerance I would add Manners. We should treat folks that are ahead of us the way that we would want to be treated and be polite about it. On vacation you don't check your manners. And with Watch I would add, be friendly to the folks waiting in line with you. Ask them where their from and what it's like there, what have they been seeing while at Disney World, tell them what you have done that was a really fun experience that they may not have heard about. It's really a lot of fun to meet folks from other places. And you'd be amazed at how many times you meet folks from the same town as you.
It's quite fun to sit somewhere and do nothing. At this exact moment I am sitting on a bench on Skiles in front of the library with no purpose.

Kurt

DonohoFlnkr
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by DonohoFlnkr » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Like you said, Tink, the wait teaches the kids many things and Patience is one of the most important. I'm guessing the parents never waited in any lines when they were younger.

What disturbs me most about this is that to the parents, this is just a vacation, something they squeeze into their busy lives. To the kid, this is a huge, HUGE moment and he feels like he will never get this opportunity again.

No doubt in my mind they will go back to their friends and tell them how they took little "Bobby" to WDW and he had such a great time. They will feel like they are super-parents and he will love them forever for it. :rolleyes:

It would be wonderful if many of the parents I see at WDW would stop and ask themselves "Who are we here for? Is it for ourselves, or is it for the kids?" If it's the former, they should just pack it up and go home b/c the kid is going to have a miserable time and feel only disappointment with the trip.

Unfortunately, they don't think and -in some cases- they don't really care. :mad:

joanna71985
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by joanna71985 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:32 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:It's quite fun to sit somewhere and do nothing. At this exact moment I am sitting on a bench on Skiles in front of the library with no purpose.
I love sitting around doing nothing (especially at Disney). I find it's fun to sit in the parks and just people-watch.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
I will be your guide for this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me, because I love movies! Is everybody ready? Great, because it's showtime. Ready when you are, CB!
[/font]

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:01 pm

My daughter has learned sooo much patience from waiting in line at the parks. She knows she has to wait to meet characters.

Sometimes we arrive before the characters at their spots, and are one of the first in line. It allows us to meet the attendants and photopass photogs, plus some friendly guests, the ones smart enough to learn where the next appearance is and be there awaiting their favorite princess on her arrival. Often we arrive just as a character is switching out, and will wait till she returns. When Mulan ran up to my daughter and greeted her like an old friend after we waited for a 30 minute break, it made Delaneys day. She said " I am so honored that you waited for me!" This was then followed by lots of girl talk between the two of them ! It was well worth the 30 minute wait. And my kid knew she had earned that visit with Mulan!

If I am taking scenic photos, I always make sure to not include other people or their kids. I find it creepy to have pics of strangers in my camera! The backs of heads is fine, but really I try to avoid them whenever possible. I wish others would do the same. As I dad I am very protective of my kid that way.

goofyjoe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by goofyjoe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:13 pm

joanna71985 wrote:I love sitting around doing nothing (especially at Disney). I find it's fun to sit in the parks and just people-watch.
I've come to appreciate that more the older I've gotten (and I'm 27!). Especially if you don't feel like you need to rush to some attraction, or if you're waiting for a show, just sit down and take it all in. It's kind of fun to grab an ice cream or something from the Confectionary :p: and sit on a bench on Main Street.

Same goes for some of the benches around World Showcase Lagoon in Epcot. Take some time to get off your feet and just enjoy the view. Plus, they serve booze there, so it's a good time to have a drink. I also have a favorite "peace and quiet" place - the UK pavilion when the British Invasion isn't playing. There's usually room to sit and eat and enjoy the atmosphere.

This is why I love the TTA in Tomorrowland - sit down for ten minutes and see everything all around you!

Gawrsh, yah-huh!

goofyjoe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by goofyjoe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:17 pm

Tinker Bell wrote:I knew I was forgetting one or two! Yes, Manners! God how I wish parents would teach them more often.

I love to talk to people too, especially when I go play at the park and I'm not working.
I sometimes hear how people think kids don't have any manners these days. Kids are rude and disrespectful, etc. But a lot of it really comes from their parents. They don't take the time to teach their kids how to be patient, polite, and respectful. In many cases, they don't exhibit these traits themselves.

It's like businesses that have customer-unfriendly practices and poor service. One of my old bosses once said, "Bull**** flows downhill." Such behavior, either from children or companies, usually starts at the top and flows down.

I love any opportunity to chat up a CM. My attitude is that I'm on vacation, and I don't need to stress out about anything, and I want to put people at ease. I like the looks that I get when I do this, like I've helped someone break up his or her day a bit.

Gawrsh, yah-huh!